Star's Inktober 2020 Thread

Zephrun’s Imperium

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
1 hour ago, Condensation said:

I love her! Armor is usually really hard for me to draw, I'm really impressed by yours. And the cape? Oh. My. Gosh. Gorgeous!

Yeah, some of the combined prompts just felt like they were hinting at me to draw a specific thing. October 14: "Armor, Radiant" Can you guess what I drew? :P

Glowing amour? :P:P:P

Today's prompt is  Outpost and I'll be honest this one was kind of a let down for me. For the first time in this challenge this year, the pencil actually looked better than the inked version so... Sorry? :unsure: There is still a lot to love about this though. Mostly Ralvon's face. I guess for those of you following Eternal this is very mild spoilers? Eh, whatever; little things like this will probably make you more excited for it! Speculation, yay! Sorry we haven't gotten chapter one up yet. Hopefully the prologue and chapter two (and this art) are enough to keep you excited for what's to come. Anyway, context.

This works for outpost, 'cause... it's a military thing and... yeah, that's the tenuous reason it works. Ralvon was drafted into the military at age 14 for very spoilery reasons. :ph34r: I like his expression a lot, he looks very... done with everything. Like, "I don't want to be here. But I am. Whatever." This is also the only time Ralvon has short hair so... that was very, very interesting to draw. Hello, Ralvon's ears. It's nice to meet you. :lol:

Outpost.jpg.18a39e9a866d12c41da7248c2187ec1c.jpg

And the gesture. So cute. 

IMG_0505.jpg.efe01d12fd31f4160366b4d00374aae5.jpg

10 minutes ago, Condensation said:

I love it! One thing, the left hand is kind of awkward. I think his elbow needs to bend slightly so he can actually hold the pole. Also, he's got five fingers on one side of the pole. Sorry for criticising.

It just needs one line to be longer and to have slightly more on the top "finger" to make it a thumb and I'm pretty sure he'd get in trouble for having his hand that low but all in all really good drawing not completely sure why you don't like this one @Shard of Thought

13 minutes ago, Condensation said:

I love it! One thing, the left hand is kind of awkward. I think his elbow needs to bend slightly so he can actually hold the pole. Also, he's got five fingers on one side of the pole. Sorry for criticizing.

2 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

It just needs one line to be longer and to have slightly more on the top "finger" to make it a thumb and I'm pretty sure he'd get in trouble for having his hand that low but all in all really good drawing not completely sure why you don't like this one @Shard of Thought

Yeah, I'm aware. Painfully aware. An artist's greatest critic is themselves so... ;) 

3 minutes ago, Somebody from Sel said:

Yeah, what he said. :)

Oh BTW. Ralvon having his hand that low wasn't intentional, but it makes sense to me that he'd do that. I really want to go off about his role in the planet's military endeavors, but again, spoilers. Let's just say he was forced into a high position against his will because of something he was born with and wasn't even aware of. 

Also, just for reference @Condensation and @Somebody from Sel; telling someone how to fix their art is kinda... rude. No matter how nice you're trying to be. Like, if you genuinely want to help them with art, then that's fine - and even in that situation, you should ask before saying anything - but just... be careful, okay? A lot of artists are extremely insecure and I'm not one of those people, but I will say that I was feeling extremely low when I drew this. I know it's not the best, I said it wasn't the best. You don't need to extrapolate on why. 

*breathes in* Okay, sorry, rant over. 

1 minute ago, Shard of Thought said:

Oh BTW. Ralvon having his hand that low wasn't intentional, but it makes sense to me that he'd do that. I really want to go off about his role in the planet's military endeavors, but again, spoilers. Let's just say he was forced into a high position against his will because of something he was born with and wasn't even aware of. 

Also, just for reference @Condensation and @Somebody from Sel; telling someone how to fix their art is kinda... rude. No matter how nice you're trying to be. Like, if you genuinely want to help them with art, then that's fine - and even in that situation, you should ask before saying anything - but just... be careful, okay? A lot of artists are extremely insecure and I'm not one of those people, but I will say that I was feeling extremely low when I drew this. I know it's not the best, I said it wasn't the best. You don't need to extrapolate on why. 

*breathes in* Okay, sorry, rant over. 

Yeah, sorry. I guess I put my feelings on you, because I usually like it when people tell me what's wrong with my art. I totally understand that though, and I won't do it again.

11 minutes ago, Condensation said:

Yeah, sorry. I guess I put my feelings on you, because I usually like it when people tell me what's wrong with my art. I totally understand that though, and I won't do it again.

I'm not nearly as accomplished an artist as SoT or many of the others here, but here's my two cents despite this:

If you have critique, even, as SoT said, kindly given critique, it generally comes across better when it's worded as: "something to consider in the future may be" and whatnot, rather than telling you what's wrong with the particular piece. It might mean the same thing, but it's a world of difference.

I've been listening to and researching some interesting psychological stuff, so thought i'd just throw that out there :D

58 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

I'm not nearly as accomplished an artist as SoT or many of the others here, but here's my two cents despite this:

If you have critique, even, as SoT said, kindly given critique, it generally comes across better when it's worded as: "something to consider in the future may be" and whatnot, rather than telling you what's wrong with the particular piece. It might mean the same thing, but it's a world of difference.

I've been listening to and researching some interesting psychological stuff, so thought i'd just throw that out there :D

Thanks. That is intriguing.

Good early morning! It's day 16, prompt: Rocket. I've drawn Sierra Satrebil and her iconic rocket powered skates. This is... the hardest drawing I have ever done. And it turned out remarkably well. It's an extremely dynamic pose and I'm just... really happy with it. Yeah, her skate is a little big, but I struggle with feet and, honestly, it doesn't even matter, because them hands are GREAT. I used references for them and that was a lot of help. I mean, just look at them, like holy storms, it's incredible! :D

I don't have a quote for this one: I know of one that works, but there's just too much context for it and it wouldn't add to the drawing at all for those who wouldn't get that context, which is most of you. So instead, I've included some progress pictures. I always think the first stage (after the gesture) is the coolest, the one that's basically just anatomy. (usually at least - in this one, I added the clothes on before I took the picture) Anatomy has become my favorite part of the drawing process in the last few months and I've gotten miles better at it than I was before. 

Rocket.jpg.1f8ba42fef1f31f0d70d4050570548a8.jpg

Untitled.thumb.jpg.29917416250723ad3b130a3a44a5d3d8.jpg

6 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Good early morning! It's day 16, prompt: Rocket. I've drawn Sierra Satrebil and her iconic rocket powered skates. This is... the hardest drawing I have ever done. And it turned out remarkably well. It's an extremely dynamic pose and I'm just... really happy with it. Yeah, her skate is a little big, but I struggle with feet and, honestly, it doesn't even matter, because them hands are GREAT. I used references for them and that was a lot of help. I mean, just look at them, like holy storms, it's incredible! :D

I don't have a quote for this one: I know of one that works, but there's just too much context for it and it wouldn't add to the drawing at all for those who wouldn't get that context, which is most of you. So instead, I've included some progress pictures. I always think the first stage (after the gesture) is the coolest, the one that's basically just anatomy. (usually at least - in this one, I added the clothes on before I took the picture) Anatomy has become my favorite part of the drawing process in the last few months and I've gotten miles better at it than I was before. 

Rocket.jpg.1f8ba42fef1f31f0d70d4050570548a8.jpg

Untitled.thumb.jpg.29917416250723ad3b130a3a44a5d3d8.jpg

thas pretty art

1 hour ago, Doomstick said:

I really like seeing the process of it.

1 hour ago, Condensation said:

Yeah, I can totally see everything you did. It helps me as an artist, too.

That is great too know. I can try to take a timelapse of my art for tomorrow. You'll have to download it. 

6 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

That is great too know. I can try to take a timelapse of my art for tomorrow. You'll have to download it. 

Noooooooooooooo

Just now, Condensation said:

Timelapses... are annoying to download, in my opinion. If it's easier, you could just take occasional pictures. I mean, timelapses work too.

Just do both that will be fine for me @Shard of Thought

Ah, day 17. Storm. I immediately knew what I would be doing for this one when I saw the prompt. A few months back I was watching the original animated Mulan - what a great movie by the way; I hadn't seen it in a long while and it was even better than I remembered - and the scene where she's sitting in the rain on the statue of the stone dragon really stuck with me. I had decided before this that when Ember died in CBST, they should make a statue out of her metal body. And so, the thought came to me that I should write a story where Heather goes out in a rain storm and cries on the statue. I think it turned out really well. Heather looks so.. timid. So heartbroken. So sweet. Heather has a really big heart and Ember's death will be quite hard on her, the poor thing.

Heather pushed herself up onto the concrete base. By now she was soaking wet, her hair and clothes matted to her thin frame, but she didn’t care. The rain was certainly more of a comfort than the warmth of her bed. She sat down underneath the statue and leaned against Ember’s leg, holding it tightly. Here, she finally allowed herself to let loose her cries. She had spent too long being quiet and still. Though she was sorrowful, her weeping came with relief. It felt good to just let the world around her know that she was in anguish. But for as much relief as she found, she was painfully reminded of how alone she was. She allowed herself to imagine Ember kneeling beside her, holding her. Ember wouldn’t say anything or tell her how she could feel better, like Star often did. No, Ember would just take her in her arms and give her the warmth in her heart. “The Destroyer” was a poor nickname for her. They should have called her “the Healer.”

Storm.jpg.e14f6d0cb5414c93945fa3d9374fd7ab.jpg

Here is the gesture and, as promised, two links to the two time-lapses I made. 

IMG_0532.jpg.56f94e9cc0586e9da6bf155d72a1ac8f.jpg

Time Lapse 1
Time Lapse 2

3 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

Ah, day 17. Storm. I immediately knew what I would be doing for this one when I saw the prompt. A few months back I was watching the original animated Mulan - what a great movie by the way; I hadn't seen it in a long while and it was even better than I remembered - and the scene where she's sitting in the rain on the statue of the stone dragon really stuck with me. I had decided before this that when Ember died in CBST, they should make a statue out of her metal body. And so, the thought came to me that I should write a story where Heather goes out in a rain storm and cries on the statue. I think it turned out really well. Heather looks so.. timid. So heartbroken. So sweet. Heather has a really big heart and Ember's death will be quite hard on her, the poor thing.

Storm.jpg.e14f6d0cb5414c93945fa3d9374fd7ab.jpg

Here is the gesture and, as promised, two links to the two time-lapses I made. 

IMG_0532.jpg.56f94e9cc0586e9da6bf155d72a1ac8f.jpg

Time Lapse 1
Time Lapse 2

You need to turn on link sharing