Star's Inktober 2020 Thread

Zephrun’s Imperium

You know, in the quote, I described her as creepy, but... Ember is so flippin' cute. Here's Teeth. And for anyone who cares that didn't see it on Discord, I've decided that it's better for Ember to have curly hair and not straight hair. It's easier to draw and it's cuter. More her. 

On 7/24/2019 at 0:45 PM, Shard of Thought said:

Ember spread her lips in a sort of half smile, though it looked more like a twitch and looked a little bit creepy, as it revealed her bronze teeth. 

Teeth.jpg.0c5cad7061f78655b1106f2b8581e284.jpg

Here's the gesture. I'd like to mention here that almost all of these gestures were done a month ago when I was planning for this art challenge. I think that sometimes the gesture better captures the emotion I was going for and/or honestly looks better than the finished product. That's why I'm including them, plus the fact that they're just pretty cool. 

IMG_0446.jpg.168e421ed5921b89b5c5cf42abace205.jpg

And one last thing; I'm working on prompt ten right now, so I'm two days ahead. I'm doing this because prompt ten is the hardest drawing I have planned and I want enough cushion time to get that done and have the best product possible. And I gotta say, I am SO proud of the art that I've done. Days 8 and 9 look absolutely amazing and I am confident it'll only get better from there. It's crazy how much I've already learned from this challenge. Ugh, I love Inktober!! :D

Oh boy this one turned out well. Day 9 is Throw and it's the first time Star has shown up in this year's Inktober. About time, right? This is one of those drawings that looks so much better IRL than it can in a photo. There are so many different shades in her hair - I used six different markers for it - and it just looks stunning. Anyway, this drawing is based on what will be the first chapter of CBSS (the novelized version of the Cosmic Battle to Save the Thread). It's Star waking up after Astral dies; she's been "thrown" back into her body. 

A scream shattered the calm. Star was brought back into consciousness, coming to herself at a painfully jarring speed. She sat up in bed, trying desperately to catch her breath. Memories of what had happened in Astral’s castle swirled in her head, but they paled in comparison to the very urgent need for air. Her limbs shook, her mind and body weakened from such a rapid transportation. “Oh Author,” she choked out. Star threw off her covers and climbed out of bed, dizziness and nausea assaulting her the moment she began walking forward. She was barely able to catch herself on a small dresser, her hands disturbing the resting place of a glass flower vase which tumbled to the floor and shattered. Star moaned, holding her side. The edge of the dresser had stabbed her there. Finally, supported by the wooden platform, she allowed herself to slow down and remember what had happened in the last few minutes. 

Throw.jpg.80a2facfbf8d15503fdba67f3d379408.jpg

And the gesture. Nothin' too special. 

IMG_0447.jpg.93dd878cce134e26ce90b8664877c130.jpg

Edited by Shard of Thought

I always work on it during seminary in the morning, which is when I do the light penciling and usually get halfway done with the finer pencil. After I get home from school I do all the inking and shading and coloring and often even get started on the next day's art. You know, I've heard a lot of people say they don't have enough time for Inktober. And that's fine, I totally get it. But these drawings get me through the day, they give me something to look forward to and motivation to wake up in the morning. The only reason I've gotten so good at my art (seriously go check out last year's Inktober thread, there is an extreme difference in quality, but not in the love I put into each drawing) is because I make time for it. Y'all, you can always make room for the things you love to do. Maybe not a ton of room, but even like 10 minutes makes a huge difference. Be nice to yourself. Don't let "me-time" get thrown to the side. 

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. 

Just now, Shard of Thought said:

I always work on it during seminary in the morning, which is when I do the light penciling and usually get halfway done with the finer pencil. After I get home from school I do all the inking and shading and coloring. You know, I've heard a lot of people say they don't have enough time for Inktober. And that's fine, I totally get it. But these drawings get me through the day, they give me something to look forward to and motivation to wake up in the morning. The only reason I've gotten so good at my art (seriously go check out last year's Inktober thread, there is an extreme difference in quality, but not in the love I put into each drawing) is because I make time for it. Y'all, you can always make room for the things you love to do. Maybe not a ton of room, but even like 10 minutes makes a huge difference. Be nice to yourself. Don't let "me-time" get thrown to the side. 

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. 

*clap clap clap clap*

Good job! For me, the Shard is like that.

Day 10: Hope. FINALLY. This turned out well. I'm running low on white ink so Tom's shirt is kinda messy and the hair coulda been better... But dang. For as hard a pose as this is, it turned out pretty darn well. 

Tom embraced her, feeling her tremble slightly. For a long moment, she simply cried softly on his shoulder as he rubbed her back in an effort to calm her. Even still, it felt good to hold her in his arms. She felt… smaller than he remembered. Maybe it was her new body. Maybe it was how terrified she was. Perhaps it might have been nothing more than a false remembrance of what it felt like to hold her. He supposed it didn’t matter. He just wanted to give her love. 

Hope.jpg.c375072ed0d8ff6342912057d1346316.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg.e5bad1cad2a1b1555bd27f63527fbddd.jpg

1 hour ago, Shard of Thought said:

Day 10: Hope. FINALLY. This turned out well. I'm running low on white ink so Tom's shirt is kinda messy and the hair coulda been better... But dang. For as hard a pose as this is, it turned out pretty darn well. 

I remember you saying before that it had turned out well but my mouth still kinda dropped open :D 

2 minutes ago, Shard of Thought said:

I've only ever drawn one other successful hug before. I always have to use references for them. This was the other hug I've drawn, I think it's a better drawing, actually. It's my discord profile pic. Pretty gorgeous, huh?

5f82649af169d_MotherandDaughter.thumb.jpg.6a3fd4894e99a5c0cdbb27f21a46b107.jpg

That's awesome!

Vapor says, "No. No, I said it's-it's awesome. Oh my gosh! No! No! Star, I really like your drawing and Condensation is a slontze. I did not say that! Stop! Stop editing it! *awkward groaning noise, then hits innocent sister multiple times*"

2 hours ago, Condensation said:

Vapor says, "No. No, I said it's-it's awesome. Oh my gosh! No! No! Star, I really like your drawing and Condensation is a slontze. I did not say that! Stop! Stop editing it! *awkward groaning noise, then hits innocent sister multiple times*"

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm

On 11/30/2019 at 6:53 PM, Shard of Thought said:

For the 143rd time, Astral raked her fingernails against her eyes, tearing her own skin and cutting into her silver eyeballs. She let her shimmering black blood drip down her cheeks for a moment, savoring her ability to feel something until healing them again. She seethed with anger and terrible, terrible boredom, wishing her fingers could claw up Pheonix's chest instead of her own face. 

Today's prompt is Disgusting and after that quote I think y'all will know why. Astral is a really fun and interesting character. This drawing turned out so dang well, especially compared to my drawing of her last year. Especially her hands. Hands are HARD you guys. Any artist who's tried to draw them will know exactly what I mean. Ridiculously proud of those. And the hand yesterday was awesome too. (I kinda cheated on Friday with Star's hands, but her arms look incredible. :lol:)

Disgusting.jpg.f9035e1e2ea22f9eab9dccded183a4eb.jpg

And the gestures. Originally I wasn't very excited to draw this because all I'd gestured out was her face. But then I came up with the dress idea and that made me very excited. The dress kinda changed as I worked on it though. The first idea was that it would be ripped, but then I remembered that Astral wears a corset, so the dress would be a lot more structured. *shrug* I've drawn her in a ripped dress before and that turned out super well, I'll attach that too. (and actually, that was the drawing that confirms she wears a corset) But a ripped dress would have been a lot harder. Overall, I don't think this drawing captured the same amount of emotion I wanted it too, but it does look quite lovely. 

IMG_0472.jpg.53d48de2beeab5eca2544954b80bd6bd.jpg   IMG_0473.jpg.a91c7c9f4e01116c1c699b56af250684.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg.6bbb47438c668f4ed79c8a83f2e09409.jpg

23 minutes ago, Condensation said:

Star, that is amazing! You deserve so many reputation for that, and I agree. Hands are my least favorite thing to draw.

Huh, Stick said it was his favorite too. :huh: I like it, but it's not my favorite. What do you like about it?

On 6/3/2019 at 10:49 AM, BringerofShadows said:

Tom Joebob got a hatchet to the chest. 

On 6/3/2019 at 10:50 AM, xinoehp512 said:

He laughed maniacally and pulled the hatchet out, the wound healing as he did so.

Man, this one turned out well. Day 12: Slippery. Tom is a pretty slippery person, I think you'll agree. The main thing I was experimenting with in this drawing was using red to shade things instead of grey. That worked. So well. Some of it could definitely better, but there are ultimately a lot more good things than bad things about this drawing. Honestly, I wouldn't say that any of my Inktober drawings have been bad at all this year, which is crazy and pretty awesome. Hopefully I don't jinx it by saying that. :D

Slippery.jpg.bcb708856c262e9b8e1b05219bfb2b10.jpg

IMG_0488.jpg.14ce1d4063f24992eedd1159ceabe80b.jpg

Kay, so I've tried something... very different for this drawing, which you can undoubtedly see already. The prompt for this one is Dune and it was the hardest for me to come up with something for. I finally decided that "dune" could be interpreted as a hill and I honestly don't know where I got the sunset idea from or why I associated that with Rose. I mean, I guess the quote has Rose and a sunset, so that must have been somewhere in the back of my mind. But yeah. This was the drawing idea that inspired me to try and color stuff this year. The sunset is really the main event in this one and boy did it turn out. I suppose it's kinda sad that Rose isn't all that detailed, especially 'cause this is the only drawing she's in, but at least she has a drawing at all; she didn't last year. Anyway, here's the quote and the art. There's nothing special about the gesture I did with this one, so I decided not to include it. Enjoy and happy Tuesday!

Star found Rose sitting on a rock next to the stream. She had her arms folded and stared at the rushing water pensively. Birdsong floated pleasantly down from the treetops, the golden sun glistening on the sparkling brook. 

“Dad used to take me down here to skip rocks,” Rose said quietly. “One time I fell in. I was five and the water was cold. But it was okay.” Her voice broke and as Star came to sit on the ground next to her, she saw the tears streaming down Rose’s face. “It was okay. Because you caught me. No one has caught me in a long time… I've just been alone. And I didn’t want to admit it before. But I don’t hate you. I just missed you. I’ve missed you for a really long time.” 

Dune.jpg.ee9f7aa355669fc8c22a4db86319f3cd.jpg

Also. Meme.

5f8598cf80f08_InktoberThread.png.38ee472c8445060bb78c2c145996fd1d.png

Day 14: Armor. This... this is amazing. I finished this at around 11:00 last night 'cause I was really distracted all day after school, but man, was it worth it. I put a ton of care into the shading of the gold on her armor and the red cape and it just. Looks. Gorgeous. I'm so glad I decided to make her hair and eyes black and white too, it just... This is the best. This is the best one I have done so far. I'm not even going to give y'all the gesture, that would detract from how plain awesome this turned out. 

I was going to have a quote with this one, but none of the quotes from the story really worked, so I suppose I should just give some context for the people who care. The story that goes along with this is called "A Happy Ending" and it's a possible ending to the CBST RP where Star has aged quite a bit and decides it's time for her to pass on. She puts on her armor for the last time and says her goodbyes before fading away in a very force-ghost-like manor. It's really sweet and I'm glad I got to draw her like this in all her venerable regality. 

Also, just have to say. 

On 10/25/2019 at 3:54 PM, Butt Ad Venture said:

...but the tradition must continue...as always...don’t look at the hand. :ph34r:

This is no longer true of my art. :D

Armor.jpg.89e2142428705a8d3a450b0df272ef43.jpg