Star's Inktober 2020 Thread

Zephrun’s Imperium

OH MY SHARDS IT'S ALREADY THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN.

Y'all, in the past year I have come so storming far in my artwork. I've learned a ton about anatomy and proportions and I've gotten better at shading and faces and it's honestly really crazy to me. I am SO GLAD my friend convinced me to do the Inktober challenge last year, because it will be a great benchmark to compare this year to. I spent an insane amount of time prepping for this and I am on the edge of my seat for each and every drawing that I'll be presenting to y'all. 

One thing I'm doing slightly different this year: I had the idea to put some color in one of the drawings and then I realized it would be a ton of fun if I tried to colored one thing in each drawing. (Don't worry, it's still ink :P) So I really hope that works out (there will undoubtedly be a handful and a half that are completely black and white though and I am totally fine with that). Six or seven months ago I really started using markers in my art and I have since amassed over 60 different shades. They're ridiculously fun to art with. 

I also decided to base a lot more of my drawings on specific quotes. Some of those quotes are from non-canon Keyed stuff, some are from CBST, some are from TLT, some are from stuff that will be in the Keyed books, and some are from me just messing around. 

I am SO excited to kick things off tomorrow!!!! See ya then! 

- Star
Edited by Shard of Thought

Gooooooood morning! It's day one, let's get into it, y'all!

I'll be drawing all the Inktober stuff a day early so that, in the case that I get behind, I won't actually be behind. This kinda ties into the poll. If it was me following this thread, I would be anxious if I didn't post at the same time every day so... Yeah, just want to know if y'all have any preference, if you even care at all. :P

But enough of that, let's see some art, shall we?

The prompt for today is "Fish" and I'll be honest, when I saw this one, I had zero idea of what to do for it. But then I randomly remembered that there's a part in CBST where Pheo opened and closed his mouth so I couldn't NOT use that. :D Here's Pheo!

(Also, just wanted to mention, the grey in this drawing isn't pencil, it's a grey marker.)

On 8/22/2020 at 10:57 PM, xinoehp512 said:

Pheonix opened his mouth to respond when - all of sudden - he realized he had no idea what day of the week it was. His mouth hung open for a couple of seconds while he hastily worked backwards in his mind before he realized and shut it closed with a snap.

After a few seconds, he gave up. "Um, what day of the week is it?" he asked timidly.

IMG_0399.jpg.1319380cf9a4be2fe666347184b045df.jpg

It's day two! Prompt is "Wisp" and for it, I've drawn Thought. Why? Because she's a wisp of Tamika, her former self. 

A lot more people followed this thread than I assumed would so... uh... I don't know how much context to give you, especially because it's kind of spoilers for the Keyed Trilogy? Kind of??? It doesn't really make sense if you don't have context though. And you don't get that context until, like, halfway through the second book. Anyway, just enjoy the art. And for those of you who know Tamika, you can enjoy the art even more. But not as much as the people who know who Thought is. 

Wisp.jpg.684b2aa2ccb13afea6250c8c952786bc.jpg

Day three prompt is Bulky and I've drawn Himalyn with her first prototype of the rocket skates. The quote that inspired this particular drawing is from the prologue to Fallen, the second booked in the Keyed Trilogy: "She scoffed, sitting down on the floor. At first she tried sitting cross legged, but her bulky shoes made it difficult, so she sprawled her legs in front of her." Also, in case anyone following Eternal is wondering, Himalyn is a flashback character. 

I think Himalyn herself looks awesome - it was super fun to draw her and it turned out well for my first time doing so - but the skates are iffy. I'm not very good at drawing feet so... makes sense the skates would be lacking. Anyway, it's a good drawing overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Fun fact: Himalyn is my only red headded character and that makes me kind of sad. :(

Bulky.jpg.87d38d5721af2d0ed064e09a8e170a39.jpg

Also, this is a gesture, there's a new poll question asking if you guys want to see my gestures of all of the inktober drawings. 

IMG_0404.jpg?width=394&height=401

Today's prompt is Radio. I was really excited for this one, but it didn't turn out quite as well as I wanted it to, unfortunately. Legs look wrong. And what's most annoying is that, as soon as I inked it, I knew exactly how I needed to fix it, But I can't. Because it's inked. *sigh* Oh, well, I guess. It's not terrible and it's better than most of my art from last Inktober. However, I can promise that tomorrow's will be a lot better - I've started it and it's looking incredible. Either way, this drawing does come with a pretty... interesting quote. :ph34r: Radio was a hard one to figure out, but then I remembered the part on TLT where Shadow found a way to tune into a radio station that let her hear the screams of tortured souls. So that worked out well.

Also, something I find hilarious; I actually forgot to draw in Shadow's suspenders. It wasn't until hours later that I realized I had forgotten one of the most iconic things about her. HUGE facepalm moment. :lol: Also, believe it or not, this was my first time drawing sunglasses. 

On 5/14/2019 at 8:50 PM, BringerofShadows said:

BoS summoned a radio and switched to the right channel.

Radio.jpg.59c0e3f99bd3a03954ad61e88b0180be.jpg

Day five: Blade. This drawing is of Xino holding the Spear of Light. This plot happened in the 800's on TLT, but I don't have a specific quote for it. Funny story actually, I was looking for a quote for the prompt "Throw" in that area on TLT 'cause there's a part where Sophie throws that spear. I spent literally hours searching until I ended up using another part from that section of TLT for an entirely different prompt. :lol:

I am pretty darn happy with this one except for the fact that, for the first time in my entire art career, I made the head too small. But. I think the drawing's strengths outshine its faults. Especially the blue highlights, those are a nice touch. Plus I get to show off how I've learned to shade gold which is super fun. See you tomorrow with some new art! 

Blade.jpg.bba0f0ce18c97788b2bfb52fb7328527.jpg

Here's the gesture, I think it's cute. 

IMG_0428.jpg.7c5fa6d34b8228c3b7d2fa2c19d950e3.jpg

I spent so much time on this, you guys. Today's prompt is Rodent. This turned out so much better than I could have possibly hoped for. I was terrified to ink it because it was so beautiful when I first penciled it, but thank goodness I was brave enough to go for it, 'cause it looks incredible. This is Ralvon and Sierra from the Keyed Trilogy, if you follow Eternal, you've met Ralv before. There is a quote that inspired this, it's from a non-canon Keyed story called A Reverant Murder. I have censored some of the quote for spoiler reasons. 

“Snake,” he heard her mutter between whimpers. “You snake…”

Ralvon turned back to see her clutching her waist. .... What a nasty little creature. She does know that snakes eat rats like her, doesn’t she? He sighed. 

I should also mention that what Sierra has around her neck is her braid. I didn't put too much effort into that. 

Rodent.thumb.jpg.369f5900c6bd72e8a803d5eaf6403a65.jpg

And the gesture. 

IMG_0437.jpg.d0408979da89dde6b3a48fd668516800.jpg

On 10/3/2020 at 11:21 AM, Doomstick said:

You can’t vote in a new question if you voted in the previous one, it’s really annoying 

On 10/3/2020 at 11:27 AM, Shard of Thought said:

Oh no! Hmm... I wonder if I got rid of the previous poll question, that glitch would go away. 

Edit: Welp, that didn't work. I guess I'll just post the gestures if I have them. 

You just need to delete the poll and save the thread, then go back into editing and create a new one.

11 hours ago, Shard of Thought said:

I have a hard time with animals.

Okay but that rat is adorable?? Both in the finished piece and the gesture, it's so cute.

Awesome art as always, Star!

Day 7: Fancy. Or, as I like to say, Fan-cay. B) Today is the first time I'm repeating a character. I drew Tamika (kind of; it was technically Thought) for Wisp earlier. This drawing was inspired by a quote from a story what will be in the final installment of the Keyed Trilogy. I think it'll be pretty clear how they correlate when you read this. Some of my best writing, honestly. I guess it's kind of spoilers? *shrug* I don't think it really gives anything away, in fact I would say it makes things more exciting. 

"As he drew his gaze away from the drawer, however, he noticed something. A photograph. One he recognized. His eyes widened slightly. “Well, I’ll be. The bastard kept it.” He pushed in the drawer and took his feet off the desk, reaching for the ancient picture. It was black and white and quite small, barely bigger than his palm. The paper it was printed on was quite weathered, but the picture itself was still remarkably clear. How long had it been now since that photo had been taken? So many centuries had passed since that moment, yet he could still call upon the fuzzy memory of that day. He ran his thumb over it, staring for a long moment at Tamika’s face. She was so young in this depiction of her. Not even twenty. Things were so different now. What he wouldn’t do to bring back that version of her. But he couldn't. He looked down and away from the picture, pinching it tightly between his fingers. Tami as she had been was gone. There was nothing he could do anymore. He felt the cold numbness surge around his heart, freezing the memory and making it crumble. He didn’t care anymore."

This is actually my second time drawing a version of the photograph from the story. I've had this concept gestured out for maybe two months give or take a week. Not sure which one I like better. One of my favorite things about both, however, is how she kinda looks sad. 

Fancy.jpg.100ba6d876c025c1381f2098c0aa186d.jpg

And the gesture. 

5f7daef12efa3_2Fancy.PNG.db29f8cca314e837dd68eb20de187995.PNG