Adolin is so Sweet

Ghanderflaffle

There's a brief mention of Adolin riding Gallant in chapter 13. I just thought this was so sweet. Dalinar doesn’t ride much anymore, and even Adolin doesn’t. It's nice for me to know that Gallant has accepted Adolin as almost a second partner since Dalinar is busy and Adolin lost Sureblood. It just made me smile. ^_^

19 minutes ago, Karger said:

It is times like these that I am glad Jane Austen died young.

Austin didn’t write Regency; she wrote Manners novels. Georgette Heyer invented the Regency, using Austin as inspiration. She wrote 70 odd novels, of which most are awesome and the rest are good or decent. Basically anything Georgian/Regency is great.

Also, not every romance writer is recommended reading by military academies... (Apparently ‘An Infamous Army’ is one of the most accurate depictions of Waterloo out there. I have it as a historical reference.)

44 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Austin didn’t write Regency; she wrote Manners novels. Georgette Heyer invented the Regency, using Austin as inspiration. She wrote 70 odd novels, of which most are awesome and the rest are good or decent. Basically anything Georgian/Regency is great.

The Regency period in the United Kingdom is the period between 1811 and 1820, when King George III was deemed unfit to rule and his son, later George IV, was instated to be his proxy as Prince Regent. It was a decade of particular manners and fashions, and overlaps with the Napoleonic period in Europe.

Regency novels are of two main types:

Those works are more properly considered manners novels. They were written as contemporary works, not as period ones. It was only later that they were considered ‘Regency’. They are Regency in the same way Byron and the Shelleys are Regency; they wrote during that time. However, I doubt most people would consider Frankenstein ‘Regency’, despite it being written in 1818! 

Austin is considered one of the best known authors of manners novels. Her books should be looked at as 19th century contemporary, as opposed to period, which is generally viewed as a work written after the time period it portrays.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novel_of_manners

Georgette Heyer essentially invented the Regency Romance as a genre. She was deeply inspired by Ms. Austin and the manners novel, which comes across clearly. When I said Regency, I was referring to the Regency Romance (which is not necessarily romantic), which are often simply referred to as Regency, or Regency novels.

Today when people say Regency, they are usually thinking of the romance, not period-contemporary works like Frankenstein. Because Austin’s work greatly inspired Heyer, and Heyer deeply influenced our perspective on the genre, Austin often gets mistakenly added in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regency_romance

Unless you’re the rare person who goes “Oh, Frankenstein!” or “Prometheus Unbound!” when they hear the term ‘Regency novel’ we’re not talking about Austin. And as much as I love Byron and the Shelleys, they aren’t who I mean by ‘Regency.’