Poll: Delay Publication of RoW until November 2021!

Michael Portz

Poll: Delay Publication of RoW until November 2021!  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Should publication of RoW be postponed until November 2021?

• Yes, because it is much more fun to have time to discuss the single chapters a whole week long!
    • Are...you NUTS?

Get your shardforks ready, I am willing to duel;).

Why we should do mini releases: Today I just finished a TV show that I have been watching for the last two months. Why did it take me two months? Two episodes were released every week. I was  teary-eyed a the end, not because of the ending as much as thinking about future Saturdays and Sundays without my friends. I had something to look forward to every week, a time set aside from busy work to leave to a completely different world. Oh, I definitely threw imaginary shardforks at the screen for having to wait another week on a cliff hanger. But then I could spend the whole week discussing with myself and a couple others what had happened and what we thought was going to happen next. There was also a feeling of community for me knowing that when I was watching the show right when it was released, thousands of people around the world were watching at the exact same time. The feeling of loss at the end of the journey was worse than I had ever experienced in a show, I had formed a better connection with the characters, the story, and the world.

Now I like books a lot more than shows, and I think it would be awesome to have the same sense of community and excitement around a book. It would definitely have to be a special book. One that fans can theorize on and yet the author pulls things out the hat better than we had imagined, gripping enough to look forward to every week, and a fan base that loves discussion. I cannot think of a better book than Stormlight Archives. 

One change I would make is release: His books are split into five parts with interludes. I would do min releases every two weeks in that break down. First release, release part 1 two weeks later set 1 of interludes ect.

Ok, shard fans, Journey before Destination. I got my blade up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4.10.2020 at 8:27 PM, Wyndleblade said:

There was also a feeling of community for me knowing that when I was watching the show right when it was released, thousands of people around the world were watching at the exact same time.

I have an idea to have that happen here. we can open a group that'll intentionally read one chapter each week, or at least at the same pace, and will discuss it. This way you'll have your community and time to think. maybe you could open a thread or a PM for that, and avoid reading other things on the RoW spoiler board. I think it gives a solution that'll both satisfy the pro-delaying fraction and won't annoy everyone else, which appears to e most of us.

If the pro-delaying think there's still a problem I'll be glad to hear it. I guess you will have to dodge spoilers, but I believe it's possible.

I might even decide to join you, though I'm against delaying, thank you very much.

P.S. by my calculation, it's a little more than two weeks away. If there is a final date by which it'd be unstoppable before the publishing date, I believe it might've passed already.

Edited by Trutharchivist

1 hour ago, Trutharchivist said:

I guess you will have to dodge spoilers, but I believe it's possible.

if you REALLY want to dodge spoilers, just leave a browser tab open on that discussion thread and never leave that thread on that tab. :P

then have another general-purpose 17th shard tab for other forum browsing and just don't look at the RoW spoilers zone with it.

31 minutes ago, lordofsoup said:

you guys should start reading web serials if you like the weekly releases so much

It's not that we necessarily like the weekly releases, I would much rather just have the whole book be released sooner, but we all just want to read it now and not later.