Poll: Delay Publication of RoW until November 2021!

Michael Portz

Poll: Delay Publication of RoW until November 2021!  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Should publication of RoW be postponed until November 2021?

• Yes, because it is much more fun to have time to discuss the single chapters a whole week long!
    • Are...you NUTS?

1 hour ago, Michael Portz said:

Publication of RoW should be postponed to November 2021 so we can have chapters once a week and actually HAVE TIME TO THINK ABOUT IT AND DISCUSS IT (just like now).

Remember: Binge Reading is Hazardous to Your Health!

Are you trying to start a riot? :D Return from whence you came! Off with you!!

5 minutes ago, robardin said:

Thank you for your contribution, Mr. Charles Dickens, now please return thee to the Nineteeth Century

Indeed good sire!!

So, I mean, I won't say I haven't enjoyed these week to week discussions. And there are few weeks between when the book will be officially released and when I'm likely to get his grubby hands on it, and I can't say I'm looking forward to dodging spoilers for that time. 

But, aside from the bit about having to wait an entire year to read the rest, the book wasn't written to read this spaced out. It's worked pretty well so far, but we will run into pacing problems if it continues this way.

I've thought a lot about this. Would you rather Brandon publish like Dickens, serially once a week, for the rest of the Cosmere? No more novels, no more trilogies, just an undending parade of weekly content, jumping all over the Cosmere? Brandon's big and popular enough to do it, and I'm not sure I'd be upset if this is how we got some of the ancillary stories. 

I don't think it will ever happen, but I've definitely thought about it.

7 minutes ago, Rainier said:

I've thought a lot about this. Would you rather Brandon publish like Dickens, serially once a week, for the rest of the Cosmere? No more novels, no more trilogies, just an undending parade of weekly content, jumping all over the Cosmere? Brandon's big and popular enough to do it, and I'm not sure I'd be upset if this is how we got some of the ancillary stories. 

I don't think it will ever happen, but I've definitely thought about it.

No I don't think his writing style lends itself to serialized writing - only serialized releasing, after it's been vetted for publishing. He does juggle order of POVs and so on as he writes. It's not like a comic strip :D

1 minute ago, robardin said:

I don't think his writing style lends itself to serialized writing - only serialized releasing

Oathbringer was 138 chapters, including pro/epilogue and interludes. There are 157 weeks between the release of Oathbringer and the release of Rhythm of War, with 17 weeks of preview chapters before RoW. That's pretty close to an entire massive Stormlight novel every third year, right on schedule, with other stuff in between. So just keep trickling out the chapters one by one, and in 2023, we'll have the ending, and book five will be ready to release...one week...at a time....

Nevermind, please never do that, I don't think I could stand it. Or, more likely, I'd just quit reading.

1 minute ago, Rainier said:

Oathbringer was 138 chapters, including pro/epilogue and interludes. There are 157 weeks between the release of Oathbringer and the release of Rhythm of War, with 17 weeks of preview chapters before RoW. That's pretty close to an entire massive Stormlight novel every third year, right on schedule, with other stuff in between. So just keep trickling out the chapters one by one, and in 2023, we'll have the ending, and book five will be ready to release...one week...at a time....

Nevermind, please never do that, I don't think I could stand it. Or, more likely, I'd just quit reading.

Yeah, so your math is saying the timing works out so that he COULD do this. Storms.

3 minutes ago, Karger said:

CALL CHAOS!  THIS THREAD MUST BE DELETED BEFORE BRANDON CAN SEE IT!

This!!!

Well I do enjoy reading the chapters right now, the reason is not because they come out one week at a time. It's because I can read them now instead of later. I don't particularly enjoy reading the chapter in 5ish minutes then having to wait another week to find out what happens next. 

Hah. I'm pretty sure the book is being printed; there'd be no chance of it not coming out this November. The book is turned in, after all. As Brandon's said, Tor's bottom line is appreciably affected by his books coming out now, so it's in the business's best interest it comes out.

I'm glad you are all enjoying preview chapters. These are not my favorite things. Though the discussion is good, I much prefer to go through an entire book all at once. I personally think giving out all of part one is too much of a trickle-feed. It is cool to get so much of the book ahead of time, but this pace is real slow. When I read, I do not like stopping.