RoW Chapter 13 Discussion

Argent

16 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

You can use Alomancy off world too.

Allomancy does not involve transporting Investiture. Feruchemy would, if you transported a metal mind, but we have not seen that.

My theory was more ‘why Stormlight has transportation issues’ as opposed to ‘why can we transport Breath.’ I think the nature of Honor is the problem.

Well, then we need at least two causes.

CS generally have issues traveling between worlds, if I recall correctly. I think the Scholars had to do something to do it. So it may have something to with the nature of purely cognitive beings. Spren have the same problem.

The Returned do not have this issue.

And of course, this also needs a reason. But, yes, indeed, I am basically basing my argument on Occam's Razor.

4 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Allomancy does not involve transporting Investiture. Feruchemy would, if you transported a metal mind, but we have not seen that.

Also worth noting is that the Investiture inside a Metalmind would technically be "of the Feruchemist" instead of strictly Preservation/Ruin (but the origin of Scadrian Humans makes this more complicated)

Well, then we need at least two causes.

Breath and Stormlight are very different manifestations of Investiture. Stormlight wants to move, to be used. It "wants" to be a part of the ecology of Roshar. Breath will sit still until you Command it to do something, and it sticks with you on a Physical level (to the point where Hemalurgic spikes can't steal Breath by force).

The Returned do not have this issue.

They're Connected not just to a physical body, but their original physical body. And again a Divine Breath may be designed to let them be free by Endowment (because I think she meant for Nightblood to come into existence and so had to make it possible for the 5 Scholars to leave Nalthis and find Shardblades on Roshar).

On 3.10.2020 at 5:36 AM, Halyo_Alex said:

Breath and Stormlight are very different manifestations of Investiture. Stormlight wants to move, to be used. It "wants" to be a part of the ecology of Roshar. Breath will sit still until you Command it to do something, and it sticks with you on a Physical level (to the point where Hemalurgic spikes can't steal Breath by force).

By that logic. All forms of investiture from a Shard should behave the same way. We have

• hemalurgic spikes
  • Kandra

versus

• Kelsier

You'd have to propose that the same effect has to come from two different sources

4 hours ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Why would you trust anything Mraize says?  He's a con man stringing Shallan along, and Shallan is a perfect mark who can't abandon sunk costs.

Because Mraize is not going to lie for no reason.  As Vin says "the best liars are those who tell the truth most of the time."