RoW Chapter 13 Discussion

Argent

21 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

So was Warren Hastings. In fact so was Francis Drake for a part of his career, technically. I am afraid that the title of merchant implies a strict division of mercantile and other functions that does not exist on Roshar. Or anywhere in the Cosmere.

What is Waxillum Ladrian? A politician, an aristocrat, an industrialist, a lawman?

In Thaylenah the council of captains is part of the government. In their view you can buy a country and a company can own warships and armies.

Vin is still a Mistborn, even though she is other things. Kaladin is still a Radiant even though he has other duties. I didn't say Mraize is only a merchant. I am just pointing out that we had a huge hint that he was a merchant from the second book! I didn't see anyone predicating he was in the business of selling things even though we had the interlude with Rysn.

Hints I can think of off the top of my head:
- We knew of off world economies

- We knew Stormlight was one of the easiest ways to get investiture

- We knew the Returned could use the Stormlight to stay alive, making it valuable

- We knew from Rysn who is a merchant refers to her mentor as Babsk

I wasn't implying he was only a merchant.

With how good people are at predicting things on this website, I'm a bit surprised (with hindsight) that it wasn't picked up on.

Sorry for poor English, it's my second language.

So I re-read the chapter because I liked it so much. 

“This power is something we call Investiture,” Mraize said. “Investiture manifests in many forms, tied to many places and many different gods. It is bound to a specific land—making it very difficult to transport. It resists. Try to carry this too far, and you’d find it increasingly difficult to move, as it became increasingly heavy.

What makes Nightblood different? Per WOB "he" is the most invested object in the Cosmere besides Shards. 

8 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

What makes Nightblood different? Per WOB "he" is the most invested object in the Cosmere besides Shards. 

Well, when Mraize says "[Investiture] is bound to a specific land", note that he himself has an Aviar and it's hinted in the description of how he always seems to sense when Shallan approached him from behind that he has the "life sense" associated with having enough Breath for a Heightening. So he's already in direct possession of a few forms of personal Investiture from other Cosmere worlds we've read about in other works.

The "trick" to transporting Aviar and Breath off-world has been unlocked by the GBs, and Mraize straight up says they've already done the same for transporting Stormlight 

“This gemstone cannot go where it is needed. A more perfect gemstone could contain the Light long enough to go offworld, but there is still the Connection problem. This little flaw has caused untold trouble. And the one who unlocks the secret would have untold power. Literal power, Radiant. The power to change worlds…”

“So you want to unravel the secret,” Radiant said.

I already have,” Mraize said, making a fist. “Though putting the plan into motion will be difficult. I have a job for you.”

Whatever their plan is for getting Stormlight off of Roshar, Restares is somehow a roadblock.

And the "you'll know what to do" thing that isn't (necessarily) killing him once Shallan gets to him in Lasting Integrity, well, I guess that's going to remove that impediment.

Edited by robardin

18 minutes ago, robardin said:

Well, when Mraize says "[Investiture] is bound to a specific land", note that he himself has an Aviar and it's hinted in the description of how he always seems to sense when Shallan approached him from behind that he has the "life sense" associated with having enough Breath for a Heightening. So he's already in direct possession of a few forms of personal Investiture from other Cosmere worlds we've read about in other works.

I believe the Aviar is what gives him the ability to sense people nearby. I am not sure if we have had any other hints in regards to life sense from breath.

35 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

He is ambiguous. His wording can be seen to refer to Investiture in general or to Stormlight in particular. It makes more sense in the latter interpretation.

Of course that also raises the question why Stormlight is different from Breath. And the simplest answer would be Identity. It looks like Stormlight in iys natural form is keyed to Roshar and/or the Stormfather. It would be a fascinating experiment to have Dalinar charge a sphere and to try to take it off world.

Nightblood is presumably still keyed to Shashara.

28 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

He is ambiguous. His wording can be seen to refer to Investiture in general or to Stormlight in particular. It makes more sense in the latter interpretation.

Of course that also raises the question why Stormlight is different from Breath. And the simplest answer would be Identity. It looks like Stormlight in iys natural form is keyed to Roshar and/or the Stormfather. It would be a fascinating experiment to have Dalinar charge a sphere and to try to take it off world.

why would Nightblood be keyed to Shashara? I was under the impression that Breath lacked Identity,thats why anyone could use it if it was given. 

53 minutes ago, Shuffel said:

I believe the Aviar is what gives him the ability to sense people nearby. I am not sure if we have had any other hints in regards to life sense from breath.

I agree with this too. We have no other evidence I can think of that he is holding breaths but yet we know he has an Aviar I think with the context we are supposed to make that conclusion. Has Shallan mentioned noticing this before we saw him with the Aviar? 

40 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Well yes it is a little ambiguous mainly because he does not say "all" however it would be odd to me that breaths do not follow the identity rules of other investiture. On the other hand the "trick" that is being referred to may be what was used by Vasher, Vivenna and Nightblood. Obviously Hoid must know the trick as well. Tin foil hat time Restares is Hoid!

Edited by StormingTexan

3 hours ago, robardin said:

So, what does that mean for Mraize's letter to her about her family, in Oathbringer (Ch. 40)? The one that spoke of Helaran and the Skybreakers? Pattern had said after reading it with Shallan, "Secrets. There are lies in this letter."

I came to the much more blaze conclusion that Mraize is lying by implication and Pattern can figure this out to some degree from his own personal experiences.

56 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

I agree with this too. We have no other evidence I can think of that he is holding breaths but yet we know he has an Aviar I think with the context we are supposed to make that conclusion. Has Shallan mentioned noticing this before we saw him with the Aviar? 

Well yes it is a little ambiguous mainly because he does not say "all" however it would be odd to me that breaths do not follow the identity rules of other investiture. On the other hand the "trick" that is being referred to may be what was used by Vasher, Vivenna and Nightblood. Obviously Hoid must know the trick as well. Tin foil hat time Restares is Hoid!

Wit is in Urithiru.

Love.  Love, love, love, love, love!!!  I think I may have salivated more than Veil at all the theories, ideas, research, and connections that Mraize inspired in me in this chapter!  I'm going to talk a lot about all of the prologues, too, because that's where we tend to get the most info on what Gavilar was up to and who his cronies were.

[Gavilar] recruited others, promising them a return to the old glories and powers. Some, like Amaram, listened because of these promises—but for the same reason were as easily lured by the enemy. Others were manipulated through their religious ideals. But Gavilar… what did he truly want?

Gavilar had two meetings the day he died:  the first was with the Heralds Nale and Kalak, and the second was with five others - two soldiers of whom one was Amaram, two females of whom one was almost certainly Ialai, and an old dude in robes.  I'm 75% certain that the other female was Aesudan because, like Amaram, she was easily lured by the enemy, and there is another huge reason that I'll get to later in this post!

[Gavilar was seeking] Immortality, in part. He thought he could become like the Heralds. In his quest, he discovered a secret.

As someone else has already mentioned, I believe the Stormfather was previously sending Gavilar visions from the Almighty and was likely to bond with Gavilar before his death.  I also suspect that, with nine of the current heralds forsaking their oaths, we might see replacement heralds in this series.  However, as another person already said, I think that Gavilar's aims might be even higher than that.

I suspect Wit's mission might be to "unite them" with "them" being the shards, and that may have been what Honor meant, too, when he said "unite them."  I'm reasonably sure that's how Gavilar interpreted his messages from Honor, and I'm also reasonably sure that Gavilar intended to be the new Adonalsium, the new holder of the shards, the new single God.  So Mraize wasn't lying about power, both literal power (Investiture) and metaphorical power (all powerful God).  I wonder if that might be Mraize's aim, as well, but it could just be making money by transporting literal power.  I believe that Wit's aim is to find someone else worthy of holding all of the shards, like Sazed or Dalinar.  I had thought Adolin being the new Adonalsium would be perfect because of the similarities in their names, but I no longer view him as capable of handling that much power well.  Perhaps no human is worthy.

He had Voidlight before the Everstorm—he carried it from Braize, the place you call Damnation. He was testing the movement of Light between worlds. And one close to him might have answers. At any rate, we couldn’t risk Ialai or the Sons of Honor recovering these secrets.

Someone mentioned that the spheres Gavilar had in the prologue seem to have come from Braize, and that might be true, but I tend to think they were at least not transporting the Unmade back and forth from Braize.  Surely at least some of these spheres contain the Unmade:  Navani's RoW prologue implies they contain Voidlight and spren; Szeth's WoK prologue implies something extremely dangerous is in the sphere Szeth received from Gavilar; and Eshonai's OB prologue implies that the sphere Eshonai took contained the Unmade Ba-Ado-Mishram (BAM). 

Immediately before Gavilar gives BAM to Eshonai, he shows her a fabrial and explains that they work by trapping a spren.  And then he says, "with a very special gemstone, you can even hold a god."  He said that humans robbed the parshmen of their abilities to transform by capturing "an ancient, crucial spren," the spren that he gives Eshonai to bring the Everstorm.

So I think that humans had captured BAM and perhaps some other Unmade spren he had trapped in his Voidlight-infused spheres.  I don't think humans would have stored trapped Unmade on Braize, because Braize is controlled by the Fuzed.  However, Gavilar may be sending empty gemstones back and forth to Braize, and Braize is surely where the Voidlight came from that infused the spheres.

So, how did the Voidlight and/or spheres get from Braize to Roshar and vice-versa?  That's the six-million dollar question, innit?  And I think I know part of that answer!!!

From Navani's RoW prologue where she sees Aesudan and her famous artifabrian:

Rushur Kris, the artist and master artifabrian. When had he arrived? Who had invited him? He was holding a small box with a flower painted on it. Could that be… one of his new fabrials?

Navani felt drawn toward the group, all other thoughts fleeing her mind. How had he made the heating fabrial, making the temperature vary? She’d seen drawings, but to talk to the master artist himself…

Later, Ausudan claims that Gavilar was the guy who invited Rushur Kris, and I thought that was the worst lie I had ever heard.  Until now.  Now, I believe that was 100% true.  Because what I hadn't noticed the first time I'd read through the RoW prologue was the box connection!!!  Rushur has a box that might work like a fabrial because he is the fabrial master, after all, and Gavilar had mentioned his heating fabrial to Eshonai a bit later in Eshonai's prologue.  Before that, though, Gavilar has a box, in Navani's same RoW prologue after we see Aesudan and where Navani overhears this exchange between Gavilar and the heralds:

“…Being able to bring them back and forth from Braize doesn’t mean anything,” one said. “It’s too close to be a relevant distance.”

“It was impossible only a few short years ago,” said a deep, powerful voice. Gavilar. “This is proof. The Connection is not severed, and the box allows for travel. Not yet as far as you’d like, but we must start the journey somewhere.”

… On the table between Gavilar and the men lay a group of spheres. Navani’s breath caught as she saw them. They were arrayed in a variety of colors and brightness, but several seemed strangely off. They glowed with an inverse of light, as if they were little pits of violet darkness, sucking in the color around them.

So Rushur's fabrial box that he was showing Aesudan seems to be an identical box (both likely designed by Rushur) to the one Gavilar is using to transport "them" (spheres?) back and forth from Roshar.  

So Nale and Kalak and especially Rushur seem the best candidates for knowing what is going on followed by the five with Gavilar, three of whom are (probably) dead (Amaram and Ialai and Aesudan).  But that leaves one soldier and one guy in robes.  Restares, Torol Sadeas, and possibly Taravangian (he'd definitely been playing the game with Gavilar but seems less likely to be a Son of Honor than Restares or Torol) seem the best candidates for these two positions.  Sadeas is dead, but Restares and possibly Taravangian might be good sources.

ETA:  The epigraph of Chapter 13 may provide further clues as to how the box works.  Are there conjoined boxes with matching half-spren and half-gemstones?  Was one box delivered to and left on Braize via Shadesmar while the other box is in Gavilar's hands?  And they're transferring gemstones via these boxes?  Are the boxes lined with metals?  What kinds of spren?  What kind of gemstones?  I'm thinking transportation gemstones and spren from either the Elsecallers or the Willshapers.  Other thoughts?

Edited by Wit Beyond Measure
Adding a bit about the epigraph of Chapter 13

34 minutes ago, Karger said:

I came to the much more blaze conclusion that Mraize is lying by implication and Pattern can figure this out to some degree from his own personal experiences.

That had been my original assumption, but now I'm reconsidering because Mraize would seem to have more to lose than to gain by lying about Shallan's past, which he's just promised to divulge more fully later, and which she apparently knows but is repressing (and can thus recall at some point).

So inasmuch as the letter contained what Pattern recognized as false statements, it's not (completely) misdirection on Mraize's part - it's also just something Pattern knows to be false, that Mraize may legitimately suppose or guess to be true (several of his statements in that letter are qualified as educated guesses or suppositions).

In other words, the intersection of "Pattern recognized something in it as false", "Shallan is suppressing something from her past related to killing her family members (as a child)", and "Mraize might withhold truths from Shallan/Veil but would be unlikely to outright lie in a way that he could be caught in".

Edited by robardin

4 hours ago, Infinitysliver said:

why would Nightblood be keyed to Shashara? I was under the impression that Breath lacked Identity,thats why anyone could use it if it was given. 

Under that premise it gets awfully hard to explain why only the original Awakener can retrieve the Breath out of an awakened object. Presumably Breath is only neutral during the short time it is transfered from person to person.

4 hours ago, StormingTexan said:

Well yes it is a little ambiguous mainly because he does not say "all" however it would be odd to me that breaths do not follow the identity rules of other investiture.

But it does, as far as we know. Mraize's little collection of trophies and Vasher and Vivenna show that many forms of Investiture bound to physical objects or people can be carried off world. Free Investiture as in Spren or Cognitive Shadows seems to be a problem. Stormlight is the oddity. Why? Simplest explanation: It is tied to the Stormfather, who stays on Roshar. Or alternatively, it is not bound tightly enough to the gems.

3 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Wit is in Urithiru.

Wit is now a Lightweaver and an Awakener. I would not bet much that he cannot be effectively at two places at the same time.

3 hours ago, Wit Beyond Measure said:

the one Gavilar is using to transport "them" (spheres?) back and forth from Roshar.  

I think the "them" is spren, since he says 

The Connection is not severed, and the box allows for travel.

Does anyone really think the spheres themselves are what are Connected? I don't, I think it's what the gems hold whose Connection is not severed, but somehow suppressed. This box, or something like it, is probably what Mraize is suggesting when he says he's close to figuring it out. Connection isn't something that exists in the Physical Realm, after all, but is instead manifest in the Cognitive Realm.

13 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Under that premise it gets awfully hard to explain why only the original Awakener can retrieve the Breath out of an awakened object. Presumably Breath is only neutral during the short time it is transfered from person to person.

It is actually not completely neutral. 

Ghero6

In Vahr's case, did collecting Breath from other rebel-minded people strengthen his determination and resolve?

Brandon Sanderson

It would have had an influence on him, but you would need the numbers of Breaths that he had for any effect to manifest. It's basically a non-issue in the current book, but it could be an issue in some of the things that will happen in the next book.

Tor.com Q&A with Brandon Sanderson (Jan. 10, 2011)
15 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Wit is now a Lightweaver and an Awakener. I would not bet much that he cannot be effectively at two places at the same time.

BEST USE OF AWAKENING EVER.  BECOME ME AND ACT AS IF YOU WERE ME!

8 minutes ago, Rainier said:

Does anyone really think the spheres themselves are what are Connected? I don't, I think it's what the gems hold whose Connection is not severed, but somehow suppressed. This box, or something like it, is probably what Mraize is suggesting when he says he's close to figuring it out. Connection isn't something that exists in the Physical Realm, after all, but is instead manifest in the Cognitive Realm.

If Mraize is relying on the box I think he will be disappointment.  Travel within the greater Rosharan system is not prevented by connection.

1 hour ago, Halyo_Alex said:

Suddenly crackpot theory for Era 2 Mistborn: The Hoid on Scadrial is an Awakened copy of Hoid made by the man himself while he sorts out how to detach his Cryptic from Roshar.

Ohhhhhh!  The shear number of body doubles in era four is going to be a huge problem.

18 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

But it does, as far as we know. Mraize's little collection of trophies and Vasher and Vivenna show that many forms of Investiture bound to physical objects or people can be carried off world. Free Investiture as in Spren or Cognitive Shadows seems to be a problem. Stormlight is the oddity. Why? Simplest explanation: It is tied to the Stormfather, who stays on Roshar. Or alternatively, it is not bound tightly enough to the gems.

Hmm I see your point just trying to make the leap why Breaths are less tied to Endowment. Unless it is because they are freely given to everyone on Nalthis by Endowment so the connection is less because technically it it the persons investiture as opposed to the Storm Fathers investiture that he is allowing people to use but not "own". I guess it kinda makes sense connection wise. I'd need to think a little more on how this works with Scadrial. 

It may also be the case it is not necessarily the investiture but the container as with what Mraize has alluded to. So it seems the real issue is it would still be difficult for a KR to travel to another world mainly because of their bond and Spren being so connected to Roshar which is unique as far as connection compared to other worlds.

18 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Tin foil hat back on. 

Maybe... Honor is about bonds. Stormlight is from the Stormfather, who is of Honor. Maybe the issue is the nature of Honor?

I’ve always correlated Endowment with Glory. If nothing else, it’s certainly about giving something.

Honor is something that binds you, and honor is conceived by each society differently. So the concept of honor is rooted in the connections between a people, their land, and their histories and theologies. It makes sense that the Investiture would be deeply Connected to Roshar. 

On the other hand, an endowment is something given to be used. So Endowment’s investiture wants to be given and used. It makes sense that you could transport it easily; Endowment’s investiture is a gift, and a gift with too many strings is hardly a gift.

34 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Maybe... Honor is about bonds. Stormlight is from the Stormfather, who is of Honor. Maybe the issue is the nature of Honor?

Unlikely. We are seeing a broader phenomenon. Kelsier was drawn back. None of the Ire had a Seon.

Yet Elantrians, who are more invested than anything short of a Returned can travel.

You really cannot reduce this to Honor vs. Endowment.

So this discussion has me thinking regarding Mraizes true motivation regarding the exporting Roshars investiture doesn’t have something to do with Kelsier needing to get off planet. BS has said he just doesn’t know how to do it as of yet but kept the possibility open. Since a lot of the other forms of investiture are internal linked as opposed to Stormlight being potentially portable it could be necessary for him attaching his cognitive shadow to a third party object. It would make sense that thaidakar=Kelsier given his propensity towards creating gangs as his cosmere MO. Just thinking worldhoppers seem to have a commonality with internalized forms of investiture and that being the link that allows them to hop so if you could do some Kind investiture surgery (ala spikes)  Perhaps Kelsier can Make his way into the story. 

2 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

On the other hand, an endowment is something given to be used. So Endowment’s investiture wants to be given and used. It makes sense that you could transport it easily; Endowment’s investiture is a gift, and a gift with too many strings is hardly a gift.

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Unlikely. We are seeing a broader phenomenon. Kelsier was drawn back. None of the Ire had a Seon.

Yet Elantrians, who are more invested than anything short of a Returned can travel.

You really cannot reduce this to Honor vs. Endowment.

I like where you're going with this, @Kingsdaughter613, but I think @Oltux72 is closer to correct. Anything given to you by Endowment is still of Endowment, and Connected to Endowment. Things like Connection (and Identity) act a little bit more like universal forces in the Cosmere, so the gift part, while astute, doesn't really fit. You can be endowed with power, but that power is still affected by Connection and Identity, just as much as the gift you got for your last birthday is still affected by Gravity and Friction. 

That's the equivalent of what Mraize is trying to do: stop Gravity or Friction from affecting objects, for a time or permanently. It's just that instead of something we can feel viscerally and interact with constantly, it's something more abstract, that is the fantastical part of this world we're exploring instead of a part of the reality we share.

50 minutes ago, Rainier said:

I like where you're going with this, @Kingsdaughter613, but I think @Oltux72 is closer to correct. Anything given to you by Endowment is still of Endowment, and Connected to Endowment. Things like Connection (and Identity) act a little bit more like universal forces in the Cosmere, so the gift part, while astute, doesn't really fit. You can be endowed with power, but that power is still affected by Connection and Identity, just as much as the gift you got for your last birthday is still affected by Gravity and Friction. 

That's the equivalent of what Mraize is trying to do: stop Gravity or Friction from affecting objects, for a time or permanently. It's just that instead of something we can feel viscerally and interact with constantly, it's something more abstract, that is the fantastical part of this world we're exploring instead of a part of the reality we share.

Right now we don’t know if this is a Stormlight only problem, or if it is a universal one. My theory works if it is Stormlight only.

40 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Right now we don’t know if this is a Stormlight only problem, or if it is a universal one. My theory works if it is Stormlight only.

Well, what invested objects or people have we seen transported off world by normal people

- Nightblood
- Breaths
- Divine Breath
- Hemalurgic spikes (Mraize's hoard and reportedly a Kandra)
- Elantrians
- a Nalthian pseudo-Shardblade
- a Threnodian Shade in a gun (Nazrilof's weapon)
- an Aether (the crystal in Mraize's hoard)
- that chain in Shadesmar (perhaps - inconclusive)
- whatever Threnody used at the time of the Catacendre (unseen, but clearly they could travel out of their system)

The movable objects definitely are associated with Shards other than Endowment.

What do we know cannot leave:
- Spren
- Heralds
- Stormlight in a sphere
- Kelsier

What can be transported was either solid or attached to something solid. What could not leave was incorporal without a housing, or had a body made by arcane means (the Heralds). The Heralds are a bit inconclusive, as they are also affected by the oath pact potentially. The crucial element here is Kelsier. His Investiture came from Scadrial, definitely neither Endowment nor Honor were involved.

34 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Well, what invested objects or people have we seen transported off world by normal people

- Nightblood
- Breaths
- Divine Breath
- Hemalurgic spikes (Mraize's hoard and reportedly a Kandra)
- Elantrians
- a Nalthian pseudo-Shardblade
- a Threnodian Shade in a gun (Nazrilof's weapon)
- an Aether (the crystal in Mraize's hoard)
- that chain in Shadesmar (perhaps - inconclusive)
- whatever Threnody used at the time of the Catacendre (unseen, but clearly they could travel out of their system)

The movable objects definitely are associated with Shards other than Endowment.

What do we know cannot leave:
- Spren
- Heralds
- Stormlight in a sphere
- Kelsier

What can be transported was either solid or attached to something solid. What could not leave was incorporal without a housing, or had a body made by arcane means (the Heralds). The Heralds are a bit inconclusive, as they are also affected by the oath pact potentially. The crucial element here is Kelsier. His Investiture came from Scadrial, definitely neither Endowment nor Honor were involved.

You can use Alomancy off world too. My theory was more ‘why Stormlight has transportation issues’ as opposed to ‘why can we transport Breath.’ I think the nature of Honor is the problem.

CS generally have issues traveling between worlds, if I recall correctly. I think the Scholars had to do something to do it. So it may have something to with the nature of purely cognitive beings. Spren have the same problem.