RoW Chapter 13 Discussion

Argent

Nice move Resteres.  Looks like Shallan might get cosmere aware.  Why do the GB want investiture off world?  Mraize wants to bond Sja-anat.  Why on earth?  Mraize says he can get investiture off roshar.  Even Hoid doesn't know that trick. 

1 minute ago, Innovation said:

Why do the Ghostbloods even want Stormlight anyway? It’s only valuable as a light source and for Radiants. Maybe Stormlight is easy to convert to other forms of Investiture?

It is also easy to obtain in large quantities.  However I am not sure what they want to use it for. 

Just now, Karger said:

It is also easy to obtain in large quantities.  However I am not sure what they want to use it for. 

I thought it was so they could market it as investiture to any other planet that needs it.

And this chapter just made me think more that one of Shallan's personalities killed Ialai

7 minutes ago, Karger said:

Nice move Resteres.  Looks like Shallan might get cosmere aware.  Why do the GB want investiture off world?  Mraize wants to bond Sja-anat.  Why on earth?  Mraize says he can get investiture off roshar.  Even Hoid doesn't know that trick. 

Sja-anat seems to offer the possibility to manipulate Connection - who knows what her "corrupted" spren are able to do.

2 minutes ago, Karger said:

On Nalthis it could feed the Returned, for example. For a price, of course.
Stormlight in perfect gemstones would be a very handy transportable source of Investiture.

Edited by Pattern

4 minutes ago, Innovation said:

Why do the Ghostbloods even want Stormlight anyway? It’s only valuable as a light source and for Radiants. Maybe Stormlight is easy to convert to other forms of Investiture?

Isnt it? Isnt that how Vasher survives? or the reason he came to Roshar? He just cant use it to Awaken

1 minute ago, Pattern said:

Sja-anat seems to offer the possibility to manipulate Connection - who knows what her "corrupted" spren are able to do.

An interesting idea

1 minute ago, Innovation said:

Yes, but metals don’t seem to have that restriction. Perhaps a Radiant populace in Silverlight? 

Metals can only be used to obtain investiture in specific amounts, by specific people, and remain kinetic meaning they are hard to store.

2 minutes ago, Pattern said:

On Nalthis it could feed the Returned, for example. For a price, of course.

Which would make you money on Nalthis?  However why do they want to do this?

Restares!! Hiding with the honorspren is genius!! How did you convince them. We have confirmation of voidlight in Gavilar's spheres. The brothers are still broken. Talking with Sja anat Shallan nice!! Perhaps this is what changed the game for Odium!! All of the answers Mraize? Hmmm.... He knows about the three. Nice secret keeping Shallan. She does not remember how she met Pattern interesting! 

The stromlight could allow them to buy information or connections on other worlds.

Edited by Nathrangking

Just now, Karger said:

I mean sure but so could ordinary currency/secrets.  Why Stormlight?

It seems though that the spren are more interested in stormlight than other things they might be more willing to barter for this. The ease of access is a factor here I think. Those who know of its value are likely to have access to things that the ghostbloods would want. They are possibly looking to deal specifically with the initiated. This could be a litmus test of sorts.

Fabrials. I believe that fabrials based on lower Spren can be transported across worlds using the same method stormlight can be .

Stormlight fabrials can be used by anyone , anywhere . 

Fabrials need stormlight to work . Hmm u can imagine the uses and riches it would provide across the Cosmere. 

47 minutes ago, Innovation said:

Yes, but metals don’t seem to have that restriction. Perhaps a Radiant populace in Silverlight? 

Spoiler

Metals require Terris or mistborn genes to be used. Even the unkeyed metalminds require some terris genes to unlock. Outside Scadrial I imagine it wi be hard or impossible or pretty expensive to use them. 

Hmm if they are able to take soulcasters and halfshards offworld too. 

*Whistles. 

Perhaps even Shardblades and shardplate  require stormlight offworld. They just use ambient stormlight on Roshar perhaps. 

Also I believe broken shardplate requires investiture to regrow. 

And u need stormlight infused gems to bond the shardblade with a new owner. 

Hmm it might not be possible to take Shardblades and soulcasters off world as they are based on Higher Spren afterall, presumably with greater Connection. Then again they are dead . Perhaps that factors into it to make the connection weaker. 

As for halfshards and shardplates. Heck I'm pretty sure they can move it easily in comparison.

As for the method , I wonder if it's 

Mistborn spoiler

Spoiler

Duralumin hemalurgy.  Use it on Spren to break thier Connection with Roshar . 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

16 minutes ago, Infinitysliver said:

I thought it was so they could market it as investiture to any other planet that needs it.

And this chapter just made me think more that one of Shallan's personalities killed Ialai

Yupp. It's Vin and Tensoon all over again. "Formless" is the lightweaving spy employed by Mraize. 

Just now, Karger said:

But they can already get the stormlight to spren.  Why do they need it off world?

As was said having a backup plan for Returned might be in play here. I'm sure that a returned could be bought if they knew that they had an independent source of life available. Scholars across the cosmere might have secrets to trade for something a little bit more exotic to study. 

4 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

Fabrials. I believe that fabrials based on lower Spren can be transported across worlds using the same method stormlight can be .

Stormlight fabrials can be used by anyone , anywhere . 

Fabrials need stormlight to work . Hmm u can imagine the uses and riches it would provide across the Cosmere. 

I didn’t think of that. You are correct, Fabrials could be a large enterprise. However, Spren don’t seem to be able to be transported off world.