Disappointment in Era 2 - Spoilers for Mistborn Era 2

E-Harmony

52 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Usually this comes up in arguments on Stormlight, but it fits here too today, so... My maternal grandfather went through a hell that makes what Kaladin goes through look like child’s play. And he came out kind, compassionate, warm, joyous and unbroken. Not everyone who goes through trauma ends up with PTSD. Many come out with no or mild trauma. This is NOT unrealistic.

There is an annoying tendency today to assume that every mildly traumatic incident will result in long term traumatic damage. Considering some studies indicate that that expectation actually makes developing that kind of damage likely, and you can see the problem.

Also PTSD refers to a very specific set of symptoms. Please stop misusing it. When people do that the APA changes the terminology, which is annoying. College is hard enough without having to remember more than one name for the same condition.

I’m glad your grandfather wasn’t as affected, truly.

But I think given the things we are learning about mental health, and how we are learning to recognize that many more of us experience mental health disorders than we previously thought, and I would say it’s much more common to be affected than not, like manifold. So while yes, it’s possible not to have lasting effects, the whole point of storytelling to me is to show us what a character goes through after you show us the intense agony they just went through. And Brandon shortchanged it in my opinion. You can say Wax was still really messed up but I didn’t feel it, yeah you can list all the ways he’s not okay, but it doesn’t come through emotionally.

Ill be the first to admit I’m not an expert, so thanks for calling me out on that, I mean that sincerely. Would you characterize Wayne as having PTSD?

I can understand your need for characters being traumatized. I actually love those parts of the book! If you want some of that, I suggest you to the stormlight archive.

*pats roof of stormlight archive*
this bad boy can fit so much trauma

Anyway, I feel ya with the lack of wax trauma. It honestly should have been a bit more sad. But the bleeder twist was one hell of a twist!

Edited by Koloss17

5 hours ago, E-Harmony said:

I’m glad your grandfather wasn’t as affected, truly.

But I think given the things we are learning about mental health, and how we are learning to recognize that many more of us experience mental health disorders than we previously thought, and I would say it’s much more common to be affected than not, like manifold. So while yes, it’s possible not to have lasting effects, the whole point of storytelling to me is to show us what a character goes through after you show us the intense agony they just went through. And Brandon shortchanged it in my opinion. You can say Wax was still really messed up but I didn’t feel it, yeah you can list all the ways he’s not okay, but it doesn’t come through emotionally.

Ill be the first to admit I’m not an expert, so thanks for calling me out on that, I mean that sincerely. Would you characterize Wayne as having PTSD?

Wayne does not, on the grounds that his trauma is not interfering with his ability to function in his daily life. That is one of the necessary diagnostic factors in most mental health issues.  Note G in the following, which is where a lot of people slip up. You can have all the symptoms of PTSD, and still not have it if G does not apply.

I do not consider being unable to use a gun an example of G. I would consider Wayne to have deep set trauma and guilt issues, as well as numerous maladaptive behavioral tendencies. I would probably utilize some form of CBT type therapy with him, and there would likely be considerable overlap with treatment for someone I would diagnose with PTSD.

1. Exposure to actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violence in one (or more) of the following ways:
    1. Directly experiencing the traumatic event(s).
    2. Witnessing, in person, the event(s) as it occurred to others.
    3. Learning that the traumatic event(s) occurred to a close family member or close friend. In cases of actual or threatened death of a family member or friend, the event(s) must have been violent or accidental.
    4. Experiencing repeated or extreme exposure to aversive details of the traumatic event(s) (e.g., first responders collecting human remains; police officers repeatedly exposed to details of child abuse). Note: Criterion A4 does not apply to exposure through electronic media, television, movies, or pictures, unless this exposure is work related.
  2. Presence of one (or more) of the following intrusion symptoms associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic event(s) occurred:
    1. Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive distressing memories of the traumatic event(s). Note: In children older than 6 years, repetitive play may occur in which themes or aspects of the traumatic event(s) are expressed.
    2. Recurrent distressing dreams in which the content and/or affect of the dream are related to the traumatic event(s). Note: In children, there may be frightening dreams without recognizable content.
    3. Dissociative reactions (e.g., flashbacks) in which the individual feels or acts as if the traumatic event(s) were recurring. (Such reactions may occur on a continuum, with the most extreme expression being a complete loss of awareness of present surroundings.) Note: In children, trauma-specific reenactment may occur in play.
    4. Intense or prolonged psychological distress at exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event(s).
    5. Marked physiological reactions to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event(s).
  3. Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by one or both of the following:
    1. Avoidance of or efforts to avoid distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s).
    2. Avoidance of or efforts to avoid external reminders (people, places, conversations, activities, objects, situations) that arouse distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s).
  4. Negative alterations in cognitions and mood associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following:
    1. Inability to remember an important aspect of the traumatic event(s) (typically due to dissociative amnesia, and not to other factors such as head injury, alcohol, or drugs).
    2. Persistent and exaggerated negative beliefs or expectations about oneself, others, or the world (e.g., “I am bad,” “No one can be trusted,” “The world is completely dangerous,” “My whole nervous system is permanently ruined”).
    3. Persistent, distorted cognitions about the cause or consequences of the traumatic event(s) that lead the individual to blame himself/herself or others.
    4. Persistent negative emotional state (e.g., fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame).
    5. Markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities.
    6. Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others.
    7. Persistent inability to experience positive emotions (e.g., inability to experience happiness, satisfaction, or loving feelings).
  5. Marked alterations in arousal and reactivity associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following:
    1. Irritable behavior and angry outbursts (with little or no provocation), typically expressed as verbal or physical aggression toward people or objects.
    2. Reckless or self-destructive behavior.
    3. Hypervigilance.
    4. Exaggerated startle response.
    5. Problems with concentration.
    6. Sleep disturbance (e.g., difficulty falling or staying asleep or restless sleep).
  6. Duration of the disturbance (Criteria B, C, D and E) is more than 1 month.
  7. The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
  8. The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., medication, alcohol) or another medical condition.

4 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Wayne does not, on the grounds that his trauma is not interfering with his ability to function in his daily life. That is one of the necessary diagnostic factors in most mental health issues.  Note G in the following, which is where a lot of people slip up. You can have all the symptoms of PTSD, and still not have it if G does not apply.

I do not consider being unable to use a gun an example of G. I would consider Wayne to have deep set trauma and guilt issues, as well as numerous maladaptive behavioral tendencies. I would probably utilize some form of CBT type therapy with him, and there would likely be considerable overlap with treatment for someone I would diagnose with PTSD.

1. Exposure to actual or threatened death, serious injury, or sexual violence in one (or more) of the following ways:
    1. Directly experiencing the traumatic event(s).
    2. Witnessing, in person, the event(s) as it occurred to others.
    3. Learning that the traumatic event(s) occurred to a close family member or close friend. In cases of actual or threatened death of a family member or friend, the event(s) must have been violent or accidental.
    4. Experiencing repeated or extreme exposure to aversive details of the traumatic event(s) (e.g., first responders collecting human remains; police officers repeatedly exposed to details of child abuse). Note: Criterion A4 does not apply to exposure through electronic media, television, movies, or pictures, unless this exposure is work related.
  2. Presence of one (or more) of the following intrusion symptoms associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic event(s) occurred:
    1. Recurrent, involuntary, and intrusive distressing memories of the traumatic event(s). Note: In children older than 6 years, repetitive play may occur in which themes or aspects of the traumatic event(s) are expressed.
    2. Recurrent distressing dreams in which the content and/or affect of the dream are related to the traumatic event(s). Note: In children, there may be frightening dreams without recognizable content.
    3. Dissociative reactions (e.g., flashbacks) in which the individual feels or acts as if the traumatic event(s) were recurring. (Such reactions may occur on a continuum, with the most extreme expression being a complete loss of awareness of present surroundings.) Note: In children, trauma-specific reenactment may occur in play.
    4. Intense or prolonged psychological distress at exposure to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event(s).
    5. Marked physiological reactions to internal or external cues that symbolize or resemble an aspect of the traumatic event(s).
  3. Persistent avoidance of stimuli associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by one or both of the following:
    1. Avoidance of or efforts to avoid distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s).
    2. Avoidance of or efforts to avoid external reminders (people, places, conversations, activities, objects, situations) that arouse distressing memories, thoughts, or feelings about or closely associated with the traumatic event(s).
  4. Negative alterations in cognitions and mood associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following:
    1. Inability to remember an important aspect of the traumatic event(s) (typically due to dissociative amnesia, and not to other factors such as head injury, alcohol, or drugs).
    2. Persistent and exaggerated negative beliefs or expectations about oneself, others, or the world (e.g., “I am bad,” “No one can be trusted,” “The world is completely dangerous,” “My whole nervous system is permanently ruined”).
    3. Persistent, distorted cognitions about the cause or consequences of the traumatic event(s) that lead the individual to blame himself/herself or others.
    4. Persistent negative emotional state (e.g., fear, horror, anger, guilt, or shame).
    5. Markedly diminished interest or participation in significant activities.
    6. Feelings of detachment or estrangement from others.
    7. Persistent inability to experience positive emotions (e.g., inability to experience happiness, satisfaction, or loving feelings).
  5. Marked alterations in arousal and reactivity associated with the traumatic event(s), beginning or worsening after the traumatic event(s) occurred, as evidenced by two (or more) of the following:
    1. Irritable behavior and angry outbursts (with little or no provocation), typically expressed as verbal or physical aggression toward people or objects.
    2. Reckless or self-destructive behavior.
    3. Hypervigilance.
    4. Exaggerated startle response.
    5. Problems with concentration.
    6. Sleep disturbance (e.g., difficulty falling or staying asleep or restless sleep).
  6. Duration of the disturbance (Criteria B, C, D and E) is more than 1 month.
  7. The disturbance causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
  8. The disturbance is not attributable to the physiological effects of a substance (e.g., medication, alcohol) or another medical condition.

Thanks, that helps a lot!

17 minutes ago, E-Harmony said:

Thanks, that helps a lot!

You’re welcome! The ‘interferes with functioning’ thing is so important to psychologists and therapists, but outside the field it tends to be ignored. If Wayne came to view his inability to use guns as a problem I’d probably treat it like a phobia to a certain extent, but also try and work on his deep seated guilt issues. I probably would not go at it as though I were treating PTSD.

As opposed to Kal, who I would a) have to determine whether or not to call an ambulance for, followed by b: get him on an appropriate anti-depressant regimen - with MONITORING. (Seriously, I’m not letting him out of my office UNLESS he’s going to in-patient psyche.) Once his depression is somewhat under control we can begin dealing with his trauma issues.

Wax is the one I’d want to work with though. Grief counseling is where I’d like to practice someday, though my specific preference is Child Life.

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

You’re welcome! The ‘interferes with functioning’ thing is so important to psychologists and therapists, but outside the field it tends to be ignored. If Wayne came to view his inability to use guns as a problem I’d probably treat it like a phobia to a certain extent, but also try and work on his deep seated guilt issues. I probably would not go at it as though I were treating PTSD.

As opposed to Kal, who I would a) have to determine whether or not to call an ambulance for, followed by b: get him on an appropriate anti-depressant regimen - with MONITORING. (Seriously, I’m not letting him out of my office UNLESS he’s going to in-patient psyche.) Once his depression is somewhat under control we can begin dealing with his trauma issues.

Wax is the one I’d want to work with though. Grief counseling is where I’d like to practice someday, though my specific preference is Child Life.

Well you are super smart, and I feel like Child Life is challenging if it’s what it sounds like, so they need someone who can be very creative and patient I’d imagine. I saw a therapist as a kid and they weren’t able to get through to me at all (that I noticed anyway) I think I was just really obstinate and probably not very nice.

22 minutes ago, E-Harmony said:

Well you are super smart, and I feel like Child Life is challenging if it’s what it sounds like, so they need someone who can be very creative and patient I’d imagine. I saw a therapist as a kid and they weren’t able to get through to me at all (that I noticed anyway) I think I was just really obstinate and probably not very nice.

Thanks for the compliment. This just happens to be my field; my BA is in psych and I’m working on a MA in Creative Arts Therapy.

The therapist you saw likely did not specialize in Child Life. Child life is working with chronically ill and dying children, and their families. It’s generally considered one of the hardest fields due to the emotional toll. Sadly, it’s also really necessary.

I’ve wanted to go into this field since my older daughter almost died and I spent a two months with her in PICU. BTW, perfect example of how a traumatic situation does not result in long term trauma and can actually result in positive growth.

On 9/29/2020 at 4:38 PM, Kingsdaughter613 said:

SA

Spoiler

his depression isn't actually that bad, he's just put into a situation that makes it far worse(Like WWll concentration camps suicide skyrocketed)

Once he's out of the Bridgecrews he does much better.

Edited by Frustration

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

SA

Hide contents

his depression isn't actually that bad, he's just put into a situation that makes it far worse(Think WWll concentration camps)

Once he's out of the Bridgecrews he does much better.

He was pretty badly off near the end of OB. His depression is cyclical. A lot depends where in the cycle he is when I meet him but, judging by his nature, he’s not showing up until it’s so bad someone MAKES him. And he’ll probably insist he doesn’t need help.

Also, my grandfather went through those camps, survived alongside his brother, then had his brother die immediately after. He picked up his brother’s body and walked from the Russian side to the American side through an active war zone. Oh, and he had been deported in 1937. What Kaladin goes through is NOTHING compared to what he did. He came out considerably healthier psychologically than Kal has ever been. (He’s the person I brought up before, btw.) What Kal went through is NOTHING compared to what the survivors did, and I do not believe he could have survived what they did, if only because he would have spoken up and been shot dead for it.

Kaladin is suicidal because he has depression, not because he went through what he did. The other members of Bridge 4 went through the same, but they aren’t suicidal. They don’t find themselves despairing for no reason. And that’s the point. Depression makes a person feel miserable (or angry) for NO reason, in-spite of outside stimuli. 

Kal does not have PTSD from running the bridge, btw. And neither do most of his bridge. They’ve turned that trauma into strength, for the most part. They’re proud of what they’ve gone through. Except Kal, who isn’t fully capable of doing that, and his inability stems more from his depression than anything else. He was showing signs of developing PTSD in OB though.

10 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

He was pretty badly off near the end of OB. His depression is cyclical. A lot depends where in the cycle he is when I meet him but, judging by his nature, he’s not showing up until it’s so bad someone MAKES him. And he’ll probably insist he doesn’t need help.

Also, my grandfather went through those camps, survived alongside his brother, then had his brother die immediately after. He picked up his brother’s body and walked from the Russian side to the American side through an active war zone. Oh, and he had been deported in 1937. What Kaladin goes through is NOTHING compared to what he did. He came out considerably healthier psychologically than Kal has ever been. (He’s the person I brought up before, btw.) What Kal went through is NOTHING compared to what the survivors did, and I do not believe he could have survived what they did, if only because he would have spoken up and been shot dead for it.

Kaladin is suicidal because he has depression, not because he went through what he did. The other members of Bridge 4 went through the same, but they aren’t suicidal. They don’t find themselves despairing for no reason. And that’s the point. Depression makes a person feel miserable (or angry) for NO reason, in-spite of outside stimuli. 

Kal does not have PTSD from running the bridge, btw. And neither do most of his bridge. They’ve turned that trauma into strength, for the most part. They’re proud of what they’ve gone through. Except Kal, who isn’t fully capable of doing that, and his inability stems more from his depression than anything else. He was showing signs of developing PTSD in OB though.

I seem to have misstated, what I meant was that while yes Kal has depression what he was experiencing in WoK was exasperated by bridgeruns. After the bridgecrews Kal never comes to suicide again. My point regarding the camps was that outside conditions can worsen the affects(like the weeping does).

11 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I seem to have misstated, what I meant was that while yes Kal has depression what he was experiencing in WoK was exasperated by bridgeruns. After the bridgecrews Kal never comes to suicide again. My point regarding the camps was that outside conditions can worsen the affects(like the weeping does).

Kaladin is likely reacting to the lack of Stormlight during the weeping actually. And we should probably stop discussing this because A: this is the Mistborn forum and B: I can’t continue without violating Shard policies. PM me if you’d like to continue.

I had mixed feelings on Era 2, though my thoughts were very different.

Right away with AOL I liked Wax, Steris, Marasi, and the way the planet had developed in general after Era 1. My only issue was Wayne. He felt like the Jar Jar Binks of the series, but worse since he was harassing Renette despite her repeated overt rejections. 

With the next book, I liked the whole reveal with Bleeder and the continued developments with Wax and Steris. But Wayne continued to be a problem (good effort on the backstory though) and Marasi started to decline for me. It didn't make sense that she dropped her law career for the constables. It was a good choice to differentiate her from Vin early on in the first book, but having her join the constables felt like a choice that contradicted that for the sake of keeping her in the story. 

But Marasi really became a mess for me in Bands of Mourning where her character "arc" climaxed in the reveal that she wasn't interested in being like Vin ... a conclusion she shared with Wax and the readers early in AOL. I feel like BS didn't know how to develop her from the place she started at. But Wax and Steris continued to be amazing and the reveal of the Sovereign and people with different technology left me wanting more of this Era. 

So yeah, this was a mixed bag for me.

On 10/3/2020 at 0:11 AM, Winter Wolf said:

I had mixed feelings on Era 2, though my thoughts were very different.

Right away with AOL I liked Wax, Steris, Marasi, and the way the planet had developed in general after Era 1. My only issue was Wayne. He felt like the Jar Jar Binks of the series, but worse since he was harassing Renette despite her repeated overt rejections. 

Okay, Wayne not my favorite, but he is not Jar Jar. While his logic makes him look like an idiot, he is useful in a fight and at getting information. His backstory explained his PTSD fairly well, and I honestly started to like him when Melaan cam into the picture. They make a cute couple.

With the next book, I liked the whole reveal with Bleeder and the continued developments with Wax and Steris. But Wayne continued to be a problem (good effort on the backstory though) and Marasi started to decline for me. It didn't make sense that she dropped her law career for the constables. It was a good choice to differentiate her from Vin early on in the first book, but having her join the constables felt like a choice that contradicted that for the sake of keeping her in the story. 

I feel that after the journey she went on, being in law seemed less appealing to her. Who wouldn't feel like that? She is still different from Vin. She prefers less violent ways of getting things done but doesn't mind getting her hands dirty when she needs to. I also feel that she went into law because she wasn't sure she'd be accepted into the constables. After she handled herself against Miles, I think she decided that she should throw her hat in the ring.

But Marasi really became a mess for me in Bands of Mourning where her character "arc" climaxed in the reveal that she wasn't interested in being like Vin ... a conclusion she shared with Wax and the readers early in AOL. I feel like BS didn't know how to develop her from the place she started at. But Wax and Steris continued to be amazing and the reveal of the Sovereign and people with different technology left me wanting more of this Era. 

Yeah, her arc wasn't that developed in BoM, though that might be because she will be more of the main character in The Lost Metal (Wax is retired I believe in that book Can't remember when I read that). However, her giving up the bands does not contradict anything with her character, and she is starting to become more independent from Wax. The character is pretty consistent in the book actually, which is a bad thing, though it can be disappointing if you wanted to see her develop more.

3 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Yeah, her arc wasn't that developed in BoM, though that might be because she will be more of the main character in The Lost Metal (Wax is retired I believe in that book Can't remember when I read that). However, her giving up the bands does not contradict anything with her character, and she is starting to become more independent from Wax. The character is pretty consistent in the book actually, which is a bad thing, though it can be disappointing if you wanted to see her develop more.

Oh yeah I'm not saying it contradicts her character. What I didn't like was that BS treated her "realization" in BOM as if it was a change or a grand conclusion she had only just now reached when it was something she entered the trilogy already knowing about herself. Since she's given the narrative importance of a secondary lead alongside Wayne, it seems like she would have had more character growth over the three books. But yeah in The Lost Metal, hopefully she'll grow into her own beyond not being Vin. She has really unique abilities and character traits that could be explored instead.

15 minutes ago, Winter Wolf said:

Oh yeah I'm not saying it contradicts her character. What I didn't like was that BS treated her "realization" in BOM as if it was a change or a grand conclusion she had only just now reached when it was something she entered the trilogy already knowing about herself. Since she's given the narrative importance of a secondary lead alongside Wayne, it seems like she would have had more character growth over the three books. But yeah in The Lost Metal, hopefully she'll grow into her own beyond not being Vin. She has really unique abilities and character traits that could be explored instead.

I think in particular she was saying she didn't want to be Wax, which fits in with trying to get out of his shadow. That's why she gave the bands to him. It's nothing big, but it might just be the signifying moment where she decides, no, she isn't going to be Vin OR Wax. What?who she will be may come into play in the next book.

@Use the Falchion I could not agree with you more. Esp the point about Antman missing up on his daughter growing up. I never thought about it like that. 

I loved era 2. Heck when I first got into AoL i expected wax and Wayne to be teenaged boy-girl rogue duo for some reason . 

The prologue was amazing but reading the second chapter really threw me off. Mistborn are mythical !!! The Koloss never show up !!!!! It really is a civilized society !!!! 

Like I expected grimdark and you get comedy and I was like what ?? Didn't touch it for a few weeks or so.

Then I did and really loved the comedy. Then u had miles step in and woah I was blown away by the new configurations of magic like twinborn and ferrings. And single metal compounders. Oooof. 

I went through the other two books quickly. The comedy was the best part. 

Although the other plot elements were sick too. 

I love era 1.5 just as much era 1 . Can't wait for book 4. But no we have RoW and Skyward 3 before that . :angry:

I love stormlight and Skyward both but mistborn is most like home to me. :wub:

4 hours ago, PrinceGenocide said:

@Use the Falchion I could not agree with you more. Esp the point about Antman missing up on his daughter growing up. I never thought about it like that. 

I loved era 2. Heck when I first got into AoL i expected wax and Wayne to be teenaged boy-girl rogue duo for some reason . 

The prologue was amazing but reading the second chapter really threw me off. Mistborn are mythical !!! The Koloss never show up !!!!! It really is a civilized society !!!! 

Like I expected grimdark and you get comedy and I was like what ?? Didn't touch it for a few weeks or so.

Then I did and really loved the comedy. Then u had miles step in and woah I was blown away by the new configurations of magic like twinborn and ferrings. And single metal compounders. Oooof. 

I went through the other two books quickly. The comedy was the best part. 

Although the other plot elements were sick too. 

I love era 1.5 just as much era 1 . Can't wait for book 4. But no we have RoW and Skyward 3 before that . :angry:

I love stormlight and Skyward both but mistborn is most like home to me. :wub:

You deserve an upvote, but I’m all out... You put my feelings into words for me. Mistborn is home.

22 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Oh. So basically tLM will end up being like the sequel to rithmatist and nightblood; we will never get it! How many times has it been delayed now?

Nah. We will get it. I mean Mistborn alongside stormlight are the twin pillars of the cosmere . Sando says elantris is just as important but idk. 

On 10/13/2020 at 6:53 AM, Koloss17 said:

Wait I thought it was 2021? What changed?

Brandon has two publishers: Tor for most, if not all of his fantasy stuff; and Delacarte for his YA stuff. YA is a pretty mast moving market. Trends change at the drop of a hat and fans can outgrow the market and the series if authors aren't fast enough. (This happened to me and most of my friends with the Inheritance Cycle by Paolini.) In fantasy, it's completely fine if an author takes a year or two off between books. In YA, that can mean the death of your series.

What changed? Well, Brandon got held up by other projects both good and bad, and other opportunities to put it bluntly. In 2017 Sanderson was supposed to write The Apocalypse Guard and The Lost Metal, both for a 2018 release. (The last book he wrote for Delacarte was Calamity, released in 2016 whereas Tor got The Bands of Mourning and Arcanum Unbounded in 2016 and Oathbringer in 2017.) Even after a couple of revisions and some assistance from friends, The Apocalypse Guard ended up failing, so Brandon pulled it from the schedule and wrote Skyward as a replacement. Then Brandon was approached to write a story for Magic: The Gathering, which was the opportunity of a lifetime for him; so he took it. That novella, Skyward revisions, and Starsight took up most of 2018. And then it was back to Stormlight in 2019...which also was delayed because our favorite author had to revisit the original outline and work out the kinks there. Well, that and major Starsight revisions. So Rhythm of War took up most of 2019 (along with some touring) and most of 2020 so far. 

But now his YA publishers need a book and have been waiting pretty patiently - and Sanderson's probably a little tired of fantasy after writing the largest book in his career* in near record time and then following that up by writing a novella that's the size of a small book - so it's back to the Cytoverse! 

So I guess the timeline: 

2017: The Apocalypse Guard, Skyward

2018: Skyward, MTG novella, Starsight

2019: Starsight, Rhythm of War

2020: Rhythm of War, Dawnshard, Skyward 3

2021: Skyward 3, Mistborn 7, Skyward 4

On 10/13/2020 at 10:50 AM, PrinceGenocide said:

Nah. We will get it. I mean Mistborn alongside stormlight are the twin pillars of the cosmere . Sando says elantris is just as important but idk. 

Sanderson has openly expressed a desire to start Draft 1 on January 1, 2021. I think that requires him finishing at least the first draft of Skyward 3 though. It should be pretty easy, since Skyward 3 is simpler in style and is supposed to be shorter than both of the previous books (100k words compared to Skyward's 135-140k and Starsight's 125-130k); also no book tour means more time for writing! But Brandon has recently gone overboard with the length of his books recently, so who knows what will happen!

Sando's also talked about what his plan is between Stormlight Arc 1 & 2. As it stands now, he's leaning towards the idea of alternating Mistborn Era 3 books with the Elantris sequels. So it'll be something like: 

2024: Mistborn 8

2025: Elantris 2

2026: Mistborn 9

2027: Elantris 3

2028: Mistborn 10

*IIRC, Rhythm of War is roughly 460k while Oathbringer is about 450k. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

29 minutes ago, PrinceGenocide said:

@Use the Falchion thanks for the info. I Didn't know he planned to write elantris and era 2 alternatively. 

Strange that he has left Elantris untouched for so long tho.

Also man I gotta wait till 2024 for the Mistborn serial killer. Ooof 

No problem! There were at lot of plans, but The Apocalypse Guard failing and the MTG novella really threw the schedule off. In the 2016 SotS, Brandon talks about how he wanted to alternate Stormlight and Elantris after finishing W&W 4...yeah, that clearly didn't happen. Nowadays Sanderson doesn't really try to predict more than three years out lol. 

As for the wait, I'm not excited for it either, but we're closer to 2024 than we are to 2015! So it'll be here before we know it. 

Edited by Use the Falchion