14 magic systems

Padierna

Greetings to all of you from México, this is my first post in the web.

Maybe some of you have heard of Anima Beyond Fantasy. I'm in the task to write a magic system for each Beryl and Shajad due to their similarities with the Shards, just for fun. I want some advice, brainstorming, critique and whatever you can contribute to this.

First, I want some critique about this magic system based in emotions, lets call it "Emotional Spectrum" due to a lack of a better name. It's origin is the Beryl Gabriel.

Those who can use this magic are able to use the colors to fuel their magic. Each color is associated to a emotion and a power, you only can absorb a color if you are feeling the right emotion. The stronger is a feeling, less color need the magic.

Red - Love - Make bonds
Orange - Curiosity - See emotions and bonds
Yellow - Hapiness - Increase and decrease emotions (Yes, I take this from Mistborn. I'm open to other suggestions)
Green - Hatred - Cut bonds
Blue - Fear - Make illusions
Purple - Sadness - "cloud" of mental immunity

Red: Love allows a Bondmaker (I'm open to new suggestions for names) to create connections between individuals. There are many ways to use this. A Bondmaker could link two persons to make them able to communicate no matter if they talk two different languages, or feel what the other is feeling physically and mentally. or know where is each other; could make a bond whit a group to communicate no matter the distance, or connect two individual to make one able to learn the skills of other. A Bondmaker can only "close" those trails but never cut them.

Orange: Curiosity allows a Truthseer to see the emotions and bonds that connects people. When a Truthseer use this power the world around them turns greyscale and they can see the emotions like an aura and bonds like a threat, each one of the color corresponding to that emotion. A trained Truthseer can see more shadows of the basic six and with that more specific emotions.
Truthseers are the only ones able to see through the illusions of a Lieweaver.

Yellow: Hapiness allows a Emotionshaper to increase or decrease the emotions of one or various individuals. A Emotionshaper cannot increase and decrease emotions at the same time, and can't increase a emotions a person is not feeling.

Green: Hatred allows a Linkbreaker to cut the bonds between people. It's easier to cut a feeling connecting two individuals than to cut the whole bond. Cut the whole bond needs a lot of color and an intense Hatred.
Cut the whole bond means that the feelings and memories related to that bond disappear. Cut all bonds of a person is like to erase it from the world.

Blue: Fear allows a Lieweaver to make illusions. The bigger need to be a illusion, more color needs.

Purple  Sadness allows a _________ to create a "emotional cloud" that prevent others from modify the emotions and cut the bonds of those who are inside the cloud. The bigger is the cloud, more color needs.

I like this, though just a heads up, The Green Lantern Corps comics use the term Emotional Spectrum for the different colours of emotion that powers each corps, so it might be a good idea to go with a different name.

The powers look interesting, though an idea that might be fun to use is to see how darker and lighter shades affect a power - so does dark red change the nature of ease of making the bond, such as adding additional properties to it, as well as the idea of colours half-way between two others, such as cyan being a combination of both making illusions and cutting bonds.

Otherwise I like this :-)

Why is green hatred? 
•Think lt like a chromatic circle. Green is the opposite to Red. So, if Red is Love, Green has to be Hatred.

Can we swap blue and purple? for color mood asociation.
•Yes, but that would swap Yellow and Orange of place

maybe have hatred be a red/black color?
•Yeah, but that way it wouldn’t be a chromatic circle.

Anyway that's what I have for the moment, looks good.

Thanks 

1 hour ago, Padierna said:

Why is green hatred? 
•Think lt like a chromatic circle. Green is the opposite to Red. So, if Red is Love, Green has to be Hatred.

Can we swap blue and purple? for color mood asociation.
•Yes, but that would swap Yellow and Orange of place

maybe have hatred be a red/black color?
•Yeah, but that way it wouldn’t be a chromatic circle.

Anyway that's what I have for the moment, looks good.

Thanks 

OH! okay that makes more sense.

8 hours ago, Ixthos said:

I like this, though just a heads up, The Green Lantern Corps comics use the term Emotional Spectrum for the different colours of emotion that powers each corps, so it might be a good idea to go with a different name.

The powers look interesting, though an idea that might be fun to use is to see how darker and lighter shades affect a power - so does dark red change the nature of ease of making the bond, such as adding additional properties to it, as well as the idea of colours half-way between two others, such as cyan being a combination of both making illusions and cutting bonds.

Otherwise I like this :-)

I wrote the system thinking that one individual can use only one of the six powers, like mistings from Mistborn. But I was thinking on how a person could access to more powers, I don’t want to use the Mistborn way.

16 hours ago, Padierna said:

I wrote the system thinking that one individual can use only one of the six powers, like mistings from Mistborn. But I was thinking on how a person could access to more powers, I don’t want to use the Mistborn way.

Fair enough :-) though I don't necessarily mean someone has access to all powers, or some have access to one and another has access to all the others, but rather a degree of nuance within a power. Using slightly different colours to match RGB (red as normal - pairs with cyan, yellow for orange - pairs with blue, green for yellow - pairs with magenta / purple, cyan for green - pairs with red, blue as normal - pairs with yellow, purple as normal - pairs with yellow) for example as an idea:

• A red bondmaker (or lovelocker, heartbinder, knotmaker, master of crimson unity, etc.) can use red to make bonds of an abstract nature - and they can choose to define the nature of that bond, but some parts would be entirely determined by the colour used.
    • A reddish-purple allowing them to make a bond that is much more difficult for a linkbreaker  to cut, but still cuttable as they aren't a "soulshield"/purple user.
    • A more orangey shade of red would let them continue to sense the bond they made, or those they have bonded, but only those bonds as they aren't a truthseer/yellow user.
    • A dark shade of red (compared to pure red) would make the bond weaker over distance but translate into helping share physical properties more effectively
    • A light shade of red (compared to pure red) would make the bond weaker over distance but translate into helping share mental properties more effectively
  • A yellow (orange) truthseer (or yelloweyes, heartseeker, etc.) can see both bonds between people and emotions in general.
    • A more orangey shade of yellow would allow them to "touch" the bonds and feel details about the person who made it
    • A more green shade of yellow would allow them to grab hold of the bond and so to feel the emotions of those who it is a part of
    • A darker shade of yellow gives a decreased sense of emotions and bonds than a pure shade, but allows them to also see past bonds and emotions, so can see the recent past
    • A lighter shade of yellow gives a decreased sense of emotions and bonds than a pure shade, but allows them to track a previously sensed bond or person if they are nearby
  • A green (yellow) emotionshaper (or heartmaster, dominator, siren, matchmaker, etc.) can control others emotions, increasing or decreasing their emotions
    • a more yellow shade of green allows them to affect people through a bond, so if they know someone they are trying to affect is bonded to someone they can channel it through the bond to affect the other person
    • a more cyan shade of green allows them to weaken the bond someone has without being able to break it, as they aren't a linkbreaker, but they can disrupt the bond for the duration they are affecting one of the bond members
    • a dark shade of green means they have greater ease decreasing emotions and a harder time increasing them
    • a light shade of green means they have an easier time increasing emotions, but a harder time decreasing them.
  • A cyan (green) linkbreaker (or heartbreaker, soulknife, bondbreaker, etc.) can cut or greatly weaken bonds, and can even remove people from existence
    • a greenish shade of cyan allows them to not only cut a bond, but to change it slightly, much like how an emotionshaper can shape emotions
    • a bluish shade of cyan allows them to break a bond without those whose bond are destroyed from realising it, making them think the bond is in place even as it slowly is destroyed - an illusion of the bond remaining for a while
    • a dark shade of cyan means the bond is more difficult to break, but once broken is much harder for someone to try to repair
    • a lighter shade of cyan means the bonds can be cut more quickly and with less effort, but are easier to repair if the bonded individuals can get away
  • a blue lieweaver (or deceptor, fearmoulder, honeytongue, etc.) can make illusions
    • a cyan shade of blue allows them to temporarily make people unable to feel or use their bonds, masking them from their minds, but not actually destroy the bond
    • a purple shade of blue allows them to make their illusions harder to see through, even by a truthseer
    • a darker shade of blue makes the illusions less substantial, but allows them to affect a larger area
    • a lighter shade of blue makes the illusions more substantial, but only able to affect a smaller area
  • a purple "soulshield" (or protector, guardian of the heart, etc.) can make bonds harder to break
    • a bluish shade of purple allows them to not only protect bonds and emotions, but also hide them from those who would seek to harm them
    • a reddish shade of purple allows them to transmit their protection along the bond to someone who is more distance, so if they are with someone who is bonded to someone who is a distance away they can - using the person with them - protect the more distant individual, albeit not as well as it they were in the same area as them
    • a darker shade of purple means they can transmit their protection into those around them and allows it to last much much longer, but both while protecting them and after it is given the protection isn't as strong as it would be with a purer shade of purple
    • a lighter shade of purple means the protection disappears sooner after they stop trying to maintain it, but it is more effective when being used

Someone can only be one of these, no-one is both  a lieweaver and a linkbreaker, but a lieweaver and a linkbreaker may have some powers that are similar to one another in some ways, while being different in others, and likewise vary depending on fuel.

(You might also be able to have it that different cultures refer to those with abilities by different names, so some call an emotionshaper a heartmaster, others call them a dominator, etc.)

Ultimately this is your story to do with as you wish. I hope this suggestions help though!