Fantasy Talk - First time posting

E-Harmony

Hello all!

My name is Chase, I am a huge fan of Brandon the writer and more a fan of Brandon the person. I love talking about Fantasy in general and also can talk about Brandon and the cosmere/WoT till I’m blue in the face.

I know most of you probably know more of the intricacies of the Cosmere and all the interrelated aspects, I am finishing my first read through currently with BoM and there’s a scene I’m on that is starting to get me hyped for the potential of where he is taking this... 

Cant wait to get into the discussion! 

I recently started a channel on YouTube, called Fantasy Talk, it’s a place where I can just have fun with making videos and get my thoughts out on what I’m reading and make fun skits and things, check me out if you find yourself stuck in a wagon on your way to the Shattered Plains with nothing better to do! 

I have been in a musical if you count the movie my friends and I made in high school called Best of Newton TV - The Musical. I have seen the Musical 9 to 5 that my friend was in, it felt like I was there from 9 to 5 lol. I relate with Steris the most, she is very reserved and has a lot of self-perception issues because she doesn’t recognize her value like others do. 

One of my favorite things about Brandon is his ability to create characters that so many people can identify with and see aspects of themselves in.

Who is the character you most identify with?

There are a few.

Wayne: I really agree with his hat philosophy. And his accent philosophy. And pretty much everything he says.

Spook: I often feel like I'm awkward and don't bring much to the conversation, or like I got into a group by a fluke.

Marasi: I want to go out and be adventurous and prove that women can do anything and everything that men can, but I also really like looking nice.

I'm not sure how far you are in BoM, so this could potentially be a spoiler if you aren't past chapter 4, which you probably are.

Spoiler

I just realized that all three of those characters get rejected. I don't think that has anything to do with why I relate with them, though.

I also relate a lot with Lift because I'm always hungry.

Yes! Spook is another one. Brandon is so good at this, he shows that just because you may not understand how someone talks, or just because they seem insignificant doesn’t mean they’re dumb or have less value it just means you don’t necessarily see it. And we see Spooks value in HoA. Also same thing with Parshmen, completely underestimated due to the arrogance of the Alethi. 

Lift has the best energy I admire her so much. Darn voidbringers...

I’m about 150 pages from finishing BoM they are in the warehouse with the (spaceship???) and stuff is going down and I’m terrified.

Thank you for the welcome and the tip!! I have seen WoB mentioned many times on Reddit and I finally googled it trying to see if it was a book in the Cosmere I’d never heard of lol. Which is actually how I found this site. It’s amazing the work done here to compile everything, super excited to join the community!

Welcome to the shard! Yeyy Steris is awesome! And I love what Brandon did with her in BoM. 
After finishing BoM, which book are you planning to read next. 
Haha, even I did not know what wobs were, shardcast videos forced me to finally check what was all the wobs about. 
Before that I used to wonder how people know so much more about the books than me! 

Thanks for the welcome! I will have finished the Cosmere other than secret history, AU, and White Sands so my October TBR is (I’m stepping on my next video here but that’s okay lol) Dune, King of Thorns, Slow Regard of Silent Things, and Summer Knight. Then I might reread WoR and Oathbringer in prep for RoW

Who is your favorite character in the Cosmere?

Welcome to the Shard Chase! Glad you decided to come join us!

Interesting trick talking until your face goes blue! Does it work with red too? Yellow? Could be quite useful for camouflage :P

Glad you are enjoying the book so far! I would definitely do as Honorless pointed out and avoid book specific parts of the site until you are done to avoid spoilers. Sections on just general stuff or other books should be fine though

Oh and if I ever am stuck in a wagon on my way to the Shattered Plains I'll be sure to take you up on that :D

17 hours ago, E-Harmony said:

Thanks for the welcome! Are there any particular WoB that people like to go to after finishing all the books?

Not in particular, for me, at least. Search for things you find interesting. The annotations on Brandon's site provide some great information. 

On 9/26/2020 at 4:25 AM, E-Harmony said:

Thanks for the welcome! I will have finished the Cosmere other than secret history, AU, and White Sands so my October TBR is (I’m stepping on my next video here but that’s okay lol) Dune, King of Thorns, Slow Regard of Silent Things, and Summer Knight. Then I might reread WoR and Oathbringer in prep for RoW

Vin, although it changes. What's your favorite magic system? 

Have you requested Aether of Night? It's unpublished, but 17th Shard distributes it on a thread. Are you signed up for the newsletter? 

On 26/9/2020 at 3:55 PM, E-Harmony said:

In all of cosmere, wow, very difficult to point out one! There is just so many good characters around! 
My favourite characters are Vin, Elend, kaladin, dalinar, sazed, Khriss and many more 

32 minutes ago, Mist said:

Not in particular, for me, at least. Search for things you find interesting. The annotations on Brandon's site provide some great information. 

Vin, although it changes. What's your favorite magic system? 

Have you requested Aether of Night? It's unpublished, but 17th Shard distributes it on a thread. Are you signed up for the newsletter? 

My favorite magic system is Awakening. I like the mix it has of hard rules and wonder. It's fun and quirky and I also think it has a lot of untapped potential.

I've never heard of Aether of Night but I will have to request it!

3 minutes ago, The Traveller said:

Surgebinding I like the best because it has so many perks! 
Which shardworld you would never want to visit?

Yeah surgebinding is unfair because it’s like 10-20 different systems lol 

Definitely Era 1 Scadrial, keep me the hell away from that place. What about you?

You have not read AU so I am not sure if you have read of this planet but Threnody

and Braize would be a close second. 

Would love to know more about Ashyn though, floating cities, sounds very interesting 

Hey fellow WoT fan, so looking forward to the upcoming wot series?

Edited by The Traveller

52 minutes ago, E-Harmony said:

I’m so impatient, damnation you pandemic! I am a little nervous but I’m also optimistic. What changes would you be okay with/like to see?

I don’t mind if they Perrin’s story a little bit. I don’t want them to change anything with Mat. And Noor much with Rand also. But they will increase the pace a little of the story which is a good thing. His, I think, would be most difficult for them, to keep his character exactly as it is in the books. 
some side stories can be cut, a little more detail as to what had happened in the past. 
I am not sure if it is good to reread the series before watching it.

What do you think?

Edited by The Traveller

27 minutes ago, The Traveller said:

I don’t mind if they Perrin’s story a little bit. I don’t want them to change anything with Mat. And Noor much with Rand also. But they will increase the pace a little of the story which is a good thing. His, I think, would be most difficult for them, to keep his character exactly as it is in the books. 
some side stories can be cut, a little more detail as to what had happened in the past. 
I am not sure if it is good to reread the series before watching it.

What do you think?

To me, if they get Rand’s complete arc correct then I can live with most any changes they need to make, although Nynaeve and May being my two other favorite characters means I want them to keep them the same. Perrin can have a lot cut out and then be used in other ways so I’d like for them to get creative with him. Keep Egwenes story the same but speed it up. Also I want more depth to Lan’s portrayal. I don’t want generic badass, I’d be cool with them coming up with some things for him that aren’t in the books.

It depends on what you have planned to read, maybe reread EotW and GH if you haven’t recently, I’m currently listening to the audiobook for EotW trying to catch all the foreshadowing :)

Is there any foreshadowing? I will reread the first two as you suggested after RoW.
RJ was good at story and world building and his male characters but he was not good at surprising me! 
Brandon, however, is a master of foreshadowing though. 
Talking about it, which one is your favourite foreshadowing by Brandon in cosmere?

Edited by The Traveller

5 hours ago, The Traveller said:

Is there any foreshadowing? I will reread the first two as you suggested after RoW.
RJ was good at story and world building and his male characters but he was not good at surprising me! 
Brandon, however, is a master of foreshadowing though. 
Talking about it, which one is your favourite foreshadowing by Brandon in cosmere?

Yeah there’s a lot of character foreshadowing as far as where they eventually end up that is pretty cool to see in EotW especially. It’s also cool to go back and actually understand what’s happening between Rand and Ishamael since when I first read it I was just confused.

My favorite foreshadowing of Brandon’s... It’s a small thing and SPOILER for anyone who might be reading this...

But his subtle foreshadowing in Warbreaker with Denth and Tonk Fah was masterful and that twist got me good. I’m still thinking about it in random moments like 3 weeks after finishing that book lol.

What about you?