New here; not really sure how forums work, but eh!

Hello, I, in fact, exist! I made a thread 'cause it seemed like the right thing to do, but I'm not quite sure. I have read almost all of the Cosmere books; I'm just waiting to get White Sand in-person from a library, and for the last two books of Era 2 to become available. You may know me as Truthwamcher from the 17s Discord server; I joined there first.

7 minutes ago, kreislerthetruthwatcher said:

Hello, I, in fact, exist! I made a thread 'cause it seemed like the right thing to do, but I'm not quite sure. I have read almost all of the Cosmere books; I'm just waiting to get White Sand in-person from a library, and for the last two books of Era 2 to become available. You may know me as Truthwamcher from the 17s Discord server; I joined there first.

Hello, and Welcome to the Shard!

Who's your favorite Sanderson character?

2 minutes ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

Hello, and Welcome to the Shard!

Who's your favorite Sanderson character?

Probably Lightsong or Wit! I like reading their dialogue, and I liked how Lightsong was a good person under all of his jokes. I also enjoyed Wit's scenes with Shallan, but since this is a spoiler-free area, I'll leave it at that.

3 hours ago, Experience said:

Welcome to the Shard! Would you rather be a Mistborn or Feruchemist?

Honestly, I always found the allomancy system to be... not cheating, but it gives me the feeling that they are trading nothing for something. I'd prefer to use my own power and wits, and allocate them as I wanted.

Just now, kreislerthetruthwatcher said:

I'm glad someone has seen me! I'd probably say I like the Stormlight Archive magic system best; I like the variety and the culture that comes with each group.

By the way, you can quote multiple people at once using the plus button in the corner. Double posting is mildly discouraged. 

The cultures of the orders? I agree. Which one do you prefer? 

11 hours ago, kreislerthetruthwatcher said:

Honestly, I always found the allomancy system to be... not cheating, but it gives me the feeling that they are trading nothing for something. I'd prefer to use my own power and wits, and allocate them as I wanted.

I- I don't understand. You realize you use wits with Allomancy right? The main difference with Allomancy and Feruchemy is how you obtain it, that's all. You're still using your wits and allocating as you need.

You exist!! How marvelous! Was just wondering when you were going to pop to life! Sending people back in time through the realm of nonexistence can occasionally have some slight unforeseen consequences... er, I mean Welcome!... uh.... so glad you joined!... 

Lol glad you decided to come join us :P. Making a thread is exactly the perfect thing to do so we can all learn more about how wonderful you are! Look forward to seeing you around!

On 9/25/2020 at 11:44 PM, Aspiring Writer said:

I- I don't understand. You realize you use wits with Allomancy right? The main difference with Allomancy and Feruchemy is how you obtain it, that's all. You're still using your wits and allocating as you need.

True yeah, Kreisler may be more referring to the obtaining it seeming like cheating because with Feruchemy your whatever at one point gets saved as your whatever for another point. With Allomancy you are introducing external things to the system for power so you are not really giving anything of yourself to obtain it. That's likely why they mentioned "use my own power" and "allocating as you need." That type of thing :D

9 minutes ago, Scout_Fox said:

You exist!! How marvelous! Was just wondering when you were going to pop to life! Sending people back in time through the realm of nonexistence can occasionally have some slight unforeseen consequences... er, I mean Welcome!... uh.... so glad you joined!... 

Lol glad you decided to come join us :P. Making a thread is exactly the perfect thing to do so we can all learn more about how wonderful you are! Look forward to seeing you around!

True yeah, Kreisler may be more referring to the obtaining it seeming like cheating because with Feruchemy your whatever at one point gets saved as your whatever for another point. With Allomancy you are introducing external things to the system for power so you are not really giving anything of yourself to obtain it. That's likely why they mentioned "use my own power" and "allocating as you need." That type of thing :D

I get that, but he phrased it as cheating. It's not cheating, there is still resource management in keeping track of your metals (Especially when you add duralumin) rather than your physical traits.

19 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I get that, but he phrased it as cheating. It's not cheating, there is still resource management in keeping track of your metals (Especially when you add duralumin) rather than your physical traits.

Absolutely, you are right! Just wanted to mention that it's always possible someone just left something out on accident or are thinking of it in a slightly different way like above. Perhaps they even just had poor word choice. Always give people the benefit of the doubt!