The Fellowship of the Thing - Just the Plot (Retired)

Channelknight Fadran

5 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Connie

Whenever someone tells me I'm intimidating because I'm popular

It hurts my brain

Because I've never been popular before, and I've never wanted to be popular before

So being popular

Is weird

So stop saying I'm intimidating, because I'm not trying to be intimidating, and I would like to not be intimidating, so that we can be friends, not servant and master or... whatever.

Oh, we're friends. You're just intimidating. :P You are popular, and you should accept it. After all, you did create FotT, which should soon be a sub-forum!

Sub-forum! Sub-forum! Sub-forum! Sub-forum!

I have a combination lock on my soul with a thousand numbers, and I've forgotten the password. All the friends I've made have been by accident. :P

8 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Connie

Whenever someone tells me I'm intimidating because I'm popular

It hurts my brain

Because I've never been popular before, and I've never wanted to be popular before

So being popular

Is weird

So stop saying I'm intimidating, because I'm not trying to be intimidating, and I would like to not be intimidating, so that we can be friends, not servant and master or... whatever.

Hmm. Do you enjoy being popular? 

4 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Queen! Yes, you're probably my closest Shardbuddy. Deal with it.

Connie and Queen! Now that I think about it, both of you guys are probably my closest Shardbuddies.

:wub:Thanks! You and Connie are probably my closest Shardbuddies, too! :D Can't possibly have anything to do with the fact that we're the same person, right?

1 minute ago, Condensation said:

So... this derailed. Just like you said, Fadran. I don't have anything to post here...

Allow me to fix that!

"Ready to talk yet?" The inquisitor asked.

Iode gasped for air, face covered in sweat.

"Or do you need some more motivation?" He held up the red-hot iron.

"A coalition!" Iode gasped. "He's forming... a coalition. Between Universes in the Macrosmos. He says its only for the benefit of the Macrosmos-aware; a collection of knowledge."

"Who is he?" The inquisitor asked.

Iode clamped his jaw shut. He screamed as the inquisitor laid the iron against his arm, but in this he was determined not to speak. If he was to die a martyr, then so be it.

The inquisitor growled, then removed the iron. "He isn't going to speak. We've gotten enough out of him; now get him out of my sight."

Iode gasped again, almost crying for the sweet release of death as the executioner approached. Death came quickly from the executioner's sword as it pierced his heart.

The inquisitor finished writing his letter, then handed it to a servant. "Bring this to the Emperor; he'll want to know what we have found."

Psyder stumbled from the shadow of the rock, breathing heavily. Shadow-travel took its toll, indeed. The journey there and back had reduced his energy stores to dangerous levesl- his Shadow was beginning to stir. If he didn't feed it soon, it would start feeding on his own soul. Any further usage of his powers would only accelerate that process, so if he were to be attacked he would have precious few options if he wished to survive.

Luckily, he wouldn't need to let the Shadow go unfed for much longer. He looked up at Wyrn's castle, an imposing fortress of solid black stone, and smiled. Yes... the prisoners there should be more than sufficient. Sufficient enough that he could afford to spend a little more power on the way in.

The twisted script tattooed into his arms began to glow black. Power condensed into thick cords like black vines around his arms and legs. He took a step forwards, the cords moving like extra muscles to give him a boost of pure power. A few steps, a hop, and a brief climb later, he was over the wall and into the compound.

He dropped the vines - no sense in wasting power - and went to go find Wyrn. It was time to feed.

Psyder strode across the courtyard with a firm and confident gait. Wyrn's normal, human troops moved back in fear as he passed. He was used to it by now. But a small part of him noticed, and was pleased; an army with a healthy dose of fear ingrained was an army well under control. 

The guards let him pass without comment. They knew who he was, and they knew better than to challenge his authority. In the early days of his partnership with the Wyrn, they hadn't been so smart, and Psyder had been forced to... correct them. Wyrn had remedied the situation quickly, if with some irritation. Quite the practical man, the Wyrn was.

Take his home, for instance. The castle that the Wyrn inhabited was very much a fortress. Other kings might have palaces with huge, opulent rooms proclaiming their prosperity and wealth. Not Wyrn. A god had no need to declare his wealth; the whole world already belonged to him.

Hence, the very sturdy iron doors leading into the throne room, doors strong enough to hold back an army on the threshold. When closed black iron bars slid across in a simple but almost indestructible pattern. They also served to intimidate - Wyrn knew just as well as Psyder the power of fear. 

The prisoners kneeling in the center of the room certainly seemed intimidated. Wyrn towered over them in his throne, his face masked in carefully arranged shadow.

"So," he declared, his voice echoing througout the chamber. "You have chosen... silence." He sighed, a long exhalation of breath that managed to convey both disappointment and disinterest at the same time. "Very well. Let the consequences so fall."

His gaze fell on Psyder as he spoke, and the Myrkaal grinned. Perfect timing, he thought, and slowly stretched out his hand.

And fired.

The invisible blast hit one of the soldiers in the back of the group, closest to Psyder. The man let out an audible gasp as dread washed through him, falling to his knees.

Psyder took a few steps forwards, making sure that his footsteps were audible. The soldiers turned as he walked toward their fear-stricken comrade, normal terror evident in their expressions. He came to a stop in front of his victim, knelt down, and placed his right hand on the man's forehead.

A moment later, the screaming began.

It seemed to go on forever, that scream- echoing up from the deepest, most raw parts of the soul, going on and on and on and on and on- long after the point when he should have run out of breath, long after his very flesh began to crumble, long after he had been reduced to nothing but bones. The echoes of it were still fading when Psyder stood up, his Hunger satiated.

"Delicious," he said.

The Wyrn looked at Psyder with an unreadable expression.  "Will that be all?" he asked calmly.

Psyder bowed his head slightly. "No, actually. I have a message. From my superiors."

Wyrn raised his eyebrows. "I see," he said simply. His expression remained unreadable as ever. He stood up, making a strange motion with his hands to the guards. "Let us retire to my office to... discuss."

The guards took hold of the prisoners and began dragging them out of the hall, taking them back the dungeons. Wyrn stood up and strode after them. Psyder stepped out of the way as they passed, then followed after Wyrn.

The king swept up a staircase... and up... and up... all the way to the room at the very top of the northwest tower. Wyrn pulled an elaborate gold key out of his pocket and stuck it in the lock, twisting it back and forth in some sort of pattern. A few moments later, the door swung open, and the pair stepped inside.

"So," said Wyrn, sitting down at his ornately carved desk. "What news do you bring from the Fallen King?"

Psyder leaned against the wall, smiling in a unsettling way. "The King is preparing for an assault consisting of all his forces. He wishes this war ended soon, one way or the other."

The temperature of Wyrn's expression dropped slightly. "If this is about project Black Rain, then my answer remains unchanged. I will not destroy my own land just to win a war."

The Myrkaal raised an eyebrow. "You would dare-"

"Do not question what I would dare," said the Wyrn, his tone cold enough to shatter ice. "You are my servants here, not the other way around."

The tension in the room was palpable. Psyder held up his hands in a pacifying gesture. "Of course, of course. And don't worry, this isn't about Black Rain. Or at least, it doesn't have to be." He pulled out a set of papers- the message he had received only minutes ago - and passed them to Wyrn. "You see, we have acquired something that- so far - we have been sorely lacking.

A spy within the resistance camp."

Wyrn took the papers and rifled through them, his eyebrows raising higher and higher as he did so. Psyder could tell that, despite himself, he was impressed. He leaned back in his chair when he was finished, a thoughtful expression on his face.

"So close," he murmured. "Practically right under our nose. Quite bold." A corner of his mouth twitched upwards. "My daughter was always a bold one..."

He turned the page, rereading part of the spy's report and furrowing his eyebrows as if deep in thought.

"They must suspect we know," he mused. "We have captured a majority of their forces. A few have already almost broken. Therefore... they will be expecting us."

"Yes," agreed Psyder. "A direct attack is out of the question. Chances are high that they would simply flee into the wilds and hide there for... well, as long as they need to." He bared his teeth in a smile. "There would be only one option, then..."

"Unacceptable," said Wyrn immediately. "But you presume too much. A strike now could very well cripple them for decades, if it doesn't destroy them utterly. I find the odds... tempting."

"Tempting enough to risk alienating the King?" questioned Psyder, raising a half-mocking eyebrow.

The candlelight flickered red in Wyrn's eyes. "am king," he said harshly. "Your king. Do not forget."

In response, Psyder only reached forwards and tapped the document resting on the desk. Wyrn's eyes glanced downwards as he read the word Psyder was pointing to. A name.

"Daolan?" Wyrn frowned. "The resistance general. What are you saying?"

"I'm sure you are familiar with the proverb relating an army to a snake?"

"Cut off the head, and the rest dies... yes." Wyrn glanced up. "You intend to kidnap him." The words were said  as a statement of fact, not a question. He raised an eyebrow. "And you have more faith in this than a direct attack?"

Psyder held back a smile, his fingers twitching with excitement.  "Look closer."

Wyrn glanced down at the sheet with a frown, reading over the spy's report. Psyder watched him closely, judging his reactions as Wyrn read the words with a careful eye.  He didn't want to miss this.

A moment later, Wyrn's eyes widened visibly. Psyder finally broke out into a grin filled with sharp edges. He had him now.

"I can bring her back to you," he said in a quiet tone. "I'm sure of it."

Wyrn looked up, his resolve returning.

"Do it," he commanded.

Psyder descended the stairway down to the dungeon with a spring in his step. Things were going according to plan. Perfectly. Niesa was already preparing to leave; she'd reach the camp at the perfect time to kidnap the general. He had no doubts she would succeed. Even if she wasn't practically undetectable when she wanted to be, there was a spy in the camp that could bail her out if necessary. Daolan would be in these dungeons before next dawn. And after that... well, people would be people.

As he reached the foot of the stairs, he let daydreams of his plans fade from his head to make way for another plan he had in the works. One involving the group of resistance soldiers currently interred within.

A brief -and somewhat terse - conversation with the warden revealed the cell where the soldiers who had witnessed his feeding earlier were interred. A few more terse words, and he was inside. Most of the soldiers backed away ever so slightly as he entered, their fear evident on their faces. He smiled. Good. 

"I have a proposition," he announced. He paused for a moment. Nobody said a word, so he continued. "The King has authorized me to present you with a unique opportunity. Freedom."

This got a reaction from the soliders, although several seemed skeptical. Understandable, given the situation. "This is not a trap," he assured them. "Comply with us, and all charges against you will be dropped. You will be released from this prison, and- eventually allowed to leave and go wherever you desire."

The soldiers began glancing at each other, confused expressions on their faces. At last, one spoke up. "Why are you doing this?" he asked. "You're just going to... let us go?"

"Ah-ah," said Psyder, "it's not as simple as that, of course. You see, we are currently in desperate need of soldiers with a certain... skillset. Unfortunately, we have as of yet been unable to find suitable volunteers to be trained in these... skills. Wyrn has thus deigned to allow you to repay your debt to the empire through service."

"What do we have to do?" asked the same soldier, still wary. 

"Simple," said Psyder, baring his teeth in a smile and shifting his robe to reveal the symbols tattooed on his abdomen. "Merely accept the mark of the Myrkaal."