1 Million Posts Celebration!!

Experience

1. I think I found out through the Shardcast when I was looking for more focused podcasts on Brandon and his works. 

2. I've found some really cool theories and interesting people to talk to about Sanderson's works...so mission complete? 

3. This summer was the one year anniversary of Fire Emblem Three Houses. I took some time to look back at the excitement and theories @Pathfinder, @Jaywalk, @Invocation, and @Wyndlerunner and I all had, and how most of them were wrong in the best possible way (although some of them are still really good ideas to be used if FE ever does another game with branching paths!). There was just so much fun we had (and still have) with that game, and sharing it with a community was something I didn't really get to do outside of here. 

So...yeah. 

Congrats everyone one one million posts! I know I've only read a small portion of those but sometimes it feels like I've read all million posts when I get sucked into the vortex of theories and analysis. 

I joined after binge reading all of the published Cosmere books in 2016, and being blown away by the complexity of the universe in these stories. I tend to come and go on the forum as books are released and love the excitement that takes place around new releases. I appreciate how insightful and passionate everyone here is, and am happy to be a part of it. :)

1. No idea how I found it, I think I was just looking up something about the Cosmere. I ended up actually joining so I could play Sanderson Elimination.

2. I've certainly had a lot of fun playing SE. Also, it's weird to think that I've been around here for over 4.5 years.

• Chaos unpinned this topic

1). I joined after only having read tWoK and half of WoR. I was in middle school. I heard about it from my cousin, and immediately signed up without even looking at what this was. Which was probably stupid.

2). Well, middle school was rough. My book buddy (person who got me into reading, and we always read the same books) sort of just stopped being there, she stopped reading, and I basically had no other friends. I was probably the most annoying teenager ever to grace the Shard. It was my first time ever communicating online (I didn't even have a phone at this point), and it was rough. But hopefully I'm a less annoying teenager now. ;) Anyways, even though I was a depressed middle schooler, I still felt accepted and like I had my own little place on here. I don't know what i would have done without this site, seriously. And thanks to tKotC I can sort of write now. Just not while actually RPing... It's odd.

3). Oh boy... The conclusion to the first KotC RP was something else... (It sucked, and that was my fault.) But it was fun. I was just in awe by @S4S's writing. Partly because my writing SUCKED. 

This is such an amazing community. I've kind of withdrawn for the last year ish, so I don't know too many of the new people. But it's still amazing here.

6 hours ago, Experience said:

1)Why you joined 17th Shard

2)The impact the Shard has had on you since you joined

3)Any fun memories/ anything else that you have enjoyed about the Shard.

1 - I don't remember! I was chugging through all of Brandon's works (except WoT), so I guess I wanted to see what the community was like.  But I'm sure glad I did join, because I wouldn't have found out about Aether of Night or White Sand (Prose) if I hadn't!

2 - I got to read Aether of Night, White Sand (Prose), and learn how clueless I am about greater cosmere theory!

3 - Offering spiked cookies to newbies was all the rage when I joined. :-O  Not sure how "fun" that was, but, it's a memory.

5 hours ago, Experience said:

1. Let's see... I got into Brandon's books when he was asked to help complete the Wheel of Time series and The Gathering Storm blew me away, then jumped straight into the first of his own works that I saw in stores which happened to be The Way of Kings. I loved it, Brandon's website easily enough and knew about the Shard but I didn't actually join until there was a signing in my area and I realized it would be fun to chat with other fans going to it and share whatever I got out of Brandon at the event with others.

Looking at when I joined, it's been almost exactly five years since I joined, my 'anniversary' is in less than two weeks. So... leatherbound edition of the Witticisms of Weltall in five more years?

2. There's probably not too much I can add about the impact that others haven't. It's been amazing talking to everyone here, sharing theories and generally just having a good time with something we all enjoy. One thing I've really loved is how relaxed things are almost all of the time, even when people are disagreeing on some point or another or arguing conflicting interpretations of some character or concept or WoB. The world could use some more of that, so the Shard is a nice little island of Zen for me where I can go and relax.

3. I suppose most of it's wrapped up in the two previous answers, though one of my favorite Shard-related moments has to be the reaction I got from Brandon at a different signing, with a question suggested by Pagerunner's analysis of some really old WoBs. The 'wait, what?' look when I asked him about Climb the Sky was priceless. It's not something I'd have ever done without the Shard and the WoB pros. I also got the RAFO card I've been using as a bookmark for Brandon's books ever since, that same night.

I was a lurker who followed the Trails discussion thread. It is refreshingly one of the few discussions of Trails in the West that is pretty chill. I signed up to tell someone not to watch the trailers before they finished the prior game, lest they be spoiled. I don't really pay attention to any other threads.

This looks fun and woooooooo one million posts!

7 hours ago, Experience said:

I joined the Shard mostly by accident. I had some knowledge of the Cosmere and had found the Coppermind. From there I followed links and found my way to the Shard, I love internet forums for nerd stuff so it was a nice find

It gives me a nice place to talk with others as I've always been the type to overanalyze the worlds in fiction. It has given me much to think about in the nature of the Cosmere too with the theories people have posted. Most importantly it has given a really nice community that a Sanderson fan can talk with others on. Thank you all

Several, I just overall have enjoyed how this place has been. But my favorite moments are when I see an excited post because someone's guess or theory on something in the books turns out to have been correct.

One million posts woot woot

1) I was a long-time itenerant lurker. It was when I discovered this post by Wisdom, containting the most beautiful ketek I had ever or have since encountered, that I created an account; never replied or liked, but merely admired from afar. 

2) I now grow cranky if Shardcasts appear later than I think they should. :D

3) The new expanded video content is quite fun. 

This is such a cool milestone! 

I knew of 17S (somehow) before I finished my first Brandon read (I probably googled something and found the forums?) but I refused to come here until I finished all the cosmere books because I was scared of spoilers. 

I can safely say that joining 17S has been life-changing for me - not only meeting a bunch of awesome people online and making new friends but I met my fiance, @Chaos, and we'll be getting married in a few months which is crazy! 

I also found my place in the Coppermind editor space and now have a really rewarding and wonderful hobby! 

I love this place and am so glad that it's existed and flourished for so long, this is a great milestone to reach. 

9 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

made a Non-Adult club where the teens of the Shard hang out

Hey, just wondering, where is this and how do I join?

I'm so happy there are a million posts! This is awesome! I just got really into the Shard a couple days ago and it's already been a lot of fun! I found out about it through the Coppermind. So far it's impacted me just because it's awesome to be hanging out online with lots of people who love the same things I do - not a lot of my friends have read Sanderson books and it's just awesome to see everything that goes on here and read all the mind-boggling theories. I'm kind of addicted all of a sudden and I just feel like I have a whole group of potential friends to meet and talk to and that's so exciting!

3 hours ago, Tesh said:

The conclusion to the first KotC RP was something else... (It sucked, and that was my fault.) But it was fun.

Hey, there’s much worse stuff you could be writing - if you have fun, it’s good enough! 

10 minutes ago, ima willshaper said:

Hey, just wondering, where is this and how do I join? 

It’s in the Social Groups, Clans, and Guilds subforum, and all you have to do is go there! Also, like half of the Shard are teens at this point I feel like, :P so you’re probably good to go just about anywhere. Aaaaand I’ve been ninjaed 

6 hours ago, Rebecca said:

Oh my storms yes, I remember those! Wow, that was great haha. I should go back and read it again sometime.

B7D937D3-3B68-4A3E-BF24-8D570ADC3AC2.jpeg

Thanks @Experience for tagging me!

1. It's been so long ago (January 2011!!), but IIRC I joined because so many people were posting interesting stuff & I wanted to be part of the conversations.

2. This community has given me inspiration and laughter and tips on great music and books and videos (the MarbleLympics!!) and ... and ... just the joy of knowing there are so many people with such high ideals and values: it's like the best of humanity right here in our tribe of Sander-fans.

3. One of the most moving things I've experienced here on the forums happened a few years back. Someone had started a thread on "What religion are you?" a couple days earlier. By the time I had read through the first several pages of posts, I was just sitting here crying: Everyone was so accepting and supportive of each other, learning what other faiths do for family holidays, asking questions and getting friendly & knowledgeable answers, absolutely nothing negative or judgemental or divisive. And I thought to myself, "THIS is how the world should be." I don't know of another community like the 17th Shard, and I'm so happy we all found our way here!

EDIT - 2 more great memories:

For Brandon's Words of Radiance tour, someone here on the Shard asked for volunteers to create a "Tour Archive Scrapbook" for our favorite author, and I organized it for the Dayton Ohio event. It was amazing - people wrote handwritten notes on cards I printed out (with the KR logos, of course), and the archive organizer gathered stuff from all the stops and created a huge scrapbook (several inches thick!). Brandon posted a photo of him & his family with the book. It was so cool to know I helped that happen.

Actually meeting some of you at the Oathbringer release party 3 years ago! I bought the little 17th Shard pin to wear ... now I need to go find it & wear it tomorrow in honor of the million posts! :-)

Edited by Iarwainiel

I got into the shard after reading Oathbringer for the first time. I had just finished it and I was looking at the Stormlight wiki (separate from the Coppermind, which I did not know existed) to look up a few things about the series which I didn’t understand.

Boy was I opening a can of worms.

I remember looking up Zahel and wondering who this “Vasher” guy was, and why I was being redirected to him. Then I found out about Hoid, the shards, and Cosmere in quick succession. At that point I immediately started reading Mistborn, and, eventually, the whole Cosmere.

Anyway, during that whole time, Instarted listening to Shardcast and reading the shard. I don’t remember how exactly I found it, but I’m glad I did.

Without Shardcast to pretty much explain how the Cosmere works to me, I definitely would not be as much of a fan as I am now. I’ve been listening to Shardcast for over two years, now, and lurking on the shard for probably more than half that time.

The reason I finally made an account was actually a few things. I wanted to discuss the RoW spoiler chapters, I wanted to get the Aether of Night manuscript, I wanted to play some Sanderson elimination, and I wanted to comment on the Iconar Collective chapters by @Channelknight Fadran. I’ve only ended up doing half those things, but I’m still loving being here.

Fun memories? I once had such a bad giggle fit over some of the posts on Google Translate: Cosmere Edition that I tried to tell my family about the thread but couldn’t get through a single sentence without breaking down in laughter.

How did you select people to dag, I wonder! I feel like an imposter, but I guess that makes me the Hero Of Ages?

1. Joined because I had questions that needed answers, stayed because I had answers that required questions!

2. I spend too much time here, especially during work hours... I'm supposed to be doing reasonable things, not making a lecture on the metallurgy of the middle ages!

3. The welcoming party of this Forum is amazing, and also the length to which people like to discuss and converse on things nobody knows anything about!

Good thread idea, btw!

6 hours ago, JesterLavorre said:

I got into the shard after reading Oathbringer for the first time. I had just finished it and I was looking at the Stormlight wiki (separate from the Coppermind, which I did not know existed) to look up a few things about the series which I didn’t understand.

Boy was I opening a can of worms.

I remember looking up Zahel and wondering who this “Vasher” guy was, and why I was being redirected to him. Then I found out about Hoid, the shards, and Cosmere in quick succession. At that point I immediately started reading Mistborn, and, eventually, the whole Cosmere.

Anyway, during that whole time, Instarted listening to Shardcast and reading the shard. I don’t remember how exactly I found it, but I’m glad I did.

Without Shardcast to pretty much explain how the Cosmere works to me, I definitely would not be as much of a fan as I am now. I’ve been listening to Shardcast for over two years, now, and lurking on the shard for probably more than half that time.

The reason I finally made an account was actually a few things. I wanted to discuss the RoW spoiler chapters, I wanted to get the Aether of Night manuscript, I wanted to play some Sanderson elimination, and I wanted to comment on the Iconar Collective chapters by @Channelknight Fadran. I’ve only ended up doing half those things, but I’m still loving being here.

Fun memories? I once had such a bad giggle fit over some of the posts on Google Translate: Cosmere Edition that I tried to tell my family about the thread but couldn’t get through a single sentence without breaking down in laughter.

I got a notification Jester Lavorre mentioned you in the topic 1 Million Posts Celebration!, and I was like "um... who? I don't have a stalker, do I?"

Then I read this and nodded like ahhh, that makes more sense.

Thanks for tagging me!

1) I don't remember how I found the Shard - I remember being a member of the discord for longer, and eventually made my way here after following links to threads like Pagerunner's Impossible Physics of Allomancy. I started reading Mistborn in high school but didn't seek out other fans of the books until after I'd about finished the rest of the cosmere. I mostly read topics (both here and on the discord) rather than contribute, but I still really enjoy being a part of the community.

2/3) My favorite memory is seeing the positive reception and interest people had to the mistborn fan game I've been working on. I'm currently working on my senior design course at college so I've had hardly any time to work on it, but I still really want to improve it. The arguments we've had about the physics of mistborn magic have been really fun - despite the fact that they usually don't go anywhere.

Great idea for a thread

I was looking for a reference library of all the items pertaining to one of Brandon's books and found the Coppermind which I thought was a weird name for a reference repository since I had only read Way of Kings at that point.  From the Coppermind I found the 17th shard and it reminded me of when I was in high school reading Wheel of Time and the fandom theories and discussions that I really enjoyed back in the day.

The Shard has helped me see things that I missed and I love how we have younger and older people interacting on the Shard.

I've enjoyed the recent addition of the videos.  It's fun to watch the interactions between Eric and rest of the motley crew.

Hmmmm.

1) I joined the shard because Iwanted to know to know more about Brandon Sanderson and his books, and also I saw how cool everyone was on here.

2) The shard has helped me understand things that I would have never figured out on my own, and brought me into their amazing community here. 

3) I loved first discovering Sanderson memes and laughing so hard I dropped my phone. . . and when i first starting RPing. . . My whole expirience here on the shard has been amazing! Thank you so much everbody! For everthing!

A) I joined 17th Shard because my friend was on here and had mentioned it. I joined to post YKYASFWs. 

B) I've loved meeting all of these new people and roleplaying. I've made friends here, and all of you are amazing. You've supported me. (Yes, that was on purpose.)

C) I love roleplaying. Sanderson Elimination is an amazing community, and I love roleplaying, now that I've figured out how it works for me. Sneks on Discord, cat photos, cosmemes, #linguistics. You are all amazing. 

Congrats on making it to 1 million!

I can't remember how I found my way to the Shard but I can't imagine experiencing Brandon's books without this place.  The theorizing, back and forth and deep dives all of you do on a daily basis has made this incredible journey all the more memorable.

If I had to pick just one memorable moment, it would be the Oathbringer preview chapters.  The daily threads and instant theorizing (May Aladar!) was an incredible experience.  The Oathbringer release and reading chapter by chapter or part by part reactions and predictions from everyone was so much fun too.

Of course, the most memorable moment is going to be when my grand Cosmere prediction comes to pass and everyone reads on in shock and horror:..

Spoiler

Vasher Awakens a cupcake with his Divine Breath.  Lift eats said cupcake and becomes a Returned Awakener Edgedancer wielder of Nightblood.  The latter 5 Stormlight books are about Odium and other assorted badies fleeing in terror.