1 Million Posts Celebration!!

Experience

*breathes out* Oh, here we go.

1. Okay, so, I've been reading Sanderson stuff since I was 10, when I listened to Elantris on tape with my dad and then got Steelheart that summer for my 11th birthday. I found out about the Shard not too much later, looked at a few posts, but I was way too scared to join. A couple years later, my dad convinced me to finally join and... Y'all, this site has changed my whole life. 

2. This needs a few sections. 

- Acceptance: I have loved to read since 2nd grade, but in my first friend group, I was really looked down upon for that. Long story short, I ended up leaving those friends (and it took waaaay too long for that to happen) but after that I didn't really have anybody besides the characters I read about. Real people scared me. It was because of this place that I got over that fear. Looking back at my life, it's kinda scary how low of a place I was in before I joined and it's crazy how much better I am now. 

- Friendships: Last one led right into this. I love you guys. All of you, you're all great, I just wanna hug all of you! It is not an understatement to say that the friendships I've made on here have saved my mental health. 

- Creativity: Those of you who lurk around on Creator's Corner, you've probably seen Eternal, the story Xino and I have been working on. If anyone cares enough to read about how that got started, the story (a very shorted version) is in the spoiler, but TL;DR, I really, really want to be an author and my story was born here. That is a priceless gift.

Spoiler

Eternal and the Keyed Trilogy started back on The Last Post Wins where a duel started between me and now inactive @beantheboy12. I won that duel, then started gloating about it on The Happy Inquisitor (check that place out in the RP section, it's great, literally anyone can post there at any time) so Bean demanded another duel. That duel ended... very interestingly and it started this RP called Fallen, which @xinoehp512 then joined as the tip of the love triangle in the story. After Bean went inactive, Xino and I independently expanded the Fallen-verse on our own and it wasn't until November that we really started communicating about what we'd done. Now, almost a year of planning, rewriting, revising, and scrapping later, we've started writing the Keyed Trilogy together and it is a literal dream come true. 

3. Shards, you guys, I don't know how I could have survived quarantine had I not joined this place. Shout out to TLT (CBST's birthplace) and TLPW (The Keyed Trilogy's birthplace), I love both of them, they are my babies and I love both of them even though they fight a lot and I don't post on either anymore. I would also be at fault not to mention CBST here. That RP has a special place in my head and heart. 

Have a happy day you guys! :lol:

Edited by Shard of Thought

8 minutes ago, Experience said:

We have finally made it to 1 million posts on the Shard, and so I’m setting up this thread. I think it would be really cool if everyone and anyone would post about a couple things:

1)Why you joined 17th Shard

2)The impact the Shard has had on you since you joined

3)Any fun memories/ anything else that you have enjoyed about the Shard.

So, I joined about four months ago, after first reading Mistborn almost three years ago now. I first found the Shard sometime after that after discovering the cosmere on the Coppermind... somehow. I'm not entirely sure, although I know I managed to spoil the entirety of Words of Radiance for myself after reading Way of Kings... so about a year ago. Mainly I just spent time looking for random answers to questions I had about kandra and Hemalurgy and things. It might have also been an attempt to locate the release date for The Lost Metal... sigh. Soon.

Finding the Shard, I then discovered the Reckoners RP (yes, that one), and enjoyed reading through the chaos immensely. Then for some odd reason I decided to devote several hours of my limited lifetime to read through the Question threads in an effort of understanding what in the world was going on. From there I moved to the Alleyverse, which... wasn't all that different. Just more cosmere, cookies, and certain sharp implements.

Then I noticed that the Alleyverse was about to start a new Era, and figured why not and made my account. (It's not like quarantine's given me much to do...). After several attempts to balance an insane Dustbringer, a Soulcaster-Lurcher, and a Cadmium savant, I started my RP journey. From there I moved to Sanderson Elimination, and now I'm coming full circle back to the Reckoners RP.

(This is an official shoutout for the Reckoners RP! We're trying to reboot, and we would love to have new players.)

Impact on me... I think I've improved quite a bit on social skills, as without this place I'd probably still be playing video games and not leaving my house all day. (Well, I still don't leave my house all day, but it's variety). I also never would have given much thought to the Shards like Dominion, who I'm realizing have... quite the capability. Getting this also was one of the final steps into getting me Discord, which has drastically increased my ability to actually socialize with other groups.

As for my favorite memory, besides first joining and writing my Alleyverse characters, has got to be my first SE game, which... was insane. If you don't know what Sanderson Elimination is, it's a Mafia/Werewolf style game where some players (Eliminators) are trying to eliminate the rest (Villagers) in various cosmere settings. My first game was LG66, a game set on Era 2 Scadrial, where there was also a solo role (the Kandra) that could only win on its own. I joined, got Village ('coincidentally' getting Allomantic Cadmium as a role, the same as one of my Alleyverse characters), and had a lot of ideas about the Kandra being able to "bodyswap" to another player. The more experienced players doubted that.

Then, of course, I got turned into the Kandra. Chaos ensued, and I ended up doing most of the Village's work for them in a nailbiter, but somehow I never actually was Eliminated.

And thus was born Faleast and AraRaash, an immortal pair of Cognitive Shadow and Kandra stuck together, wandering the cosmere and constantly finding themselves in Village vs Eliminator situations and generally collecting Investiture and causing chaos.

Other notable memories: getting four upvotes for posting " *Cough* ", making pineapple-pen memes about the Knight Radiant Orders, Ferocity, freaking out about the Dawnshard novella, and having an SE round title named "Ash Fell From The Sky" to commemorate me being Eliminated via a special-order Highstorm from the Stormfather himself because why not.

1 minute ago, Ashbringer said:

Why is EVERYONE Truthless of Shinovar?

No idea.

6 minutes ago, Ashbringer said:

and having an SE round title named "Ash Fell From The Sky" to commemorate me being Eliminated via a special-order Highstorm from the Stormfather himself because why not

That was a good one

I am so excited!!!!!! I joined the Shard mainly for the theorizing, at first. I quickly found out that I lacked any sort of skill in that area and migrated over to the Forum Games :P Being part of this community has been one of best experiences of my life and has impacted me in so many positive ways. I’m so glad that I found this place!

1) I found the Shard via.... not sure, my memory sucks. Probably someone pointing me to the Aether of Night request thread?

2) It's gotten me way more into the Cosmere. I already enjoyed the books, but the obsession came from reading through random posts on the Shard.

3) I haven't really been actively involved in enough to have a lot of "memories" yet, but reading the RoW chapters and discussing and going crazy over them has been fun.

(I'm actually mainly active on the Discord rather than the forums, but that's technically still 17th Shard, soooooooo... [I do like the forums still, but I just prefer the more instant discussion style on a chatroom for most things besides super detailed theorymaking.])

I may not look it from my post count, but I'm far from new to the Shard. Like, I can remember the days when Extesian and Calderis were posting every five minutes or so. I joined over 3 years ago now, a few months before Oathbringer came out. I think it was through the coppermind? I honestly have no memory how I stumbled upon this site. I've never been a terribly active member, but I'm proud that I never fully left this community, because I usually lose interest in these kinds of websites after a few months. I burn out reaaalll quick when it comes to involvement, which leads to a pattern of being more active in short bursts and then returning to virtual inactivity. But I've stuck around, and let me say this is probably the nicest online community I've come across. It's never toxic, and I've seen tensions run high on only a few occasions, and admins or mods stepped in pretty quickly to calm things down. It's also one of the most devoted fan bases I've ever seen, and seeing how passionate people were about Brandon just made me more excited about how awesome the cosmere is too. 

Here we go! 

1) I joined the Shard for no real reason. I just saw the link on Sanderson's website and was interested. I have a sever lack of nerds in my area, so I joined to actually be able to talk to other nerds. 

2) I have loved all of my time here on the shard. Before I joined I was never a big theorist, fan artist, or super into fandoms more than: oh, I love this series! It's so well written and interesting. I’ll reread it a bunch and call it good. Since I joined I have become much more of a nerd. I have made so many great friends (who I won’t mention in case I miss someone). I was much more responsible, not looking at the Shard during class. 

3) A few things I enjoy about the shard:

The Longest Thread. Do I need to say more? I love the randomness, the variety. I cause such an impact that I am still Ghanderflaffle, even after I broke off from the thread.

Roast Battles. I love a being able to run these. It's super fun and I’m glad nobody has kicked me out yet. :P Sometimes it may seem like I’m annoyed or mad with my posts on there, but I assure you I’m not. Tone is just hard to convey.

Ookla Season. I don’t know why I love ookla season so much, but I do. 

Everybody is just so supportive with absolutely everything. I love it here.

Happy 1 million guys. I’m glad I got to share it with you.

So this might surprise a lot of people, but I joined the Shard almost 3 years ago. 3 year Shardiversary in November. So yeah, im an OG B) I am probably the most mega lurker ever, it took me 3 years to post 2 messages. I think I found the Shard through Brandon’s website? Not super sure. Maybe it was through The Arcanum. I joined for the theories and discussions, stayed for the games, and stayed further for the awesome people and fun RPs! 

8 minutes ago, Karger said:

I joined the shard to get Aether of Night.  Believe it or not I had no real understanding of the cosmere at the time.  Then I went kind of crazy and now here I am.

*Has over 8000 posts* "Kind of crazy" :P 

Yay, congrats on 1 million posts everyone, that’s seriously awesome!! I really wish I could read everyone stories right now because I’m sure they’re all awesome, but unfortunately I don’t have that time right now. Maybe some day I’ll come back and read all these. ^_^ Oh, and be prepared for a very long post. :P

1. To answer the first question (how I joined the Shard), I’m just going to copy and paste what I put on my AMA, since I answered it there haha. I was looking for a Knights Radiant quiz online (since I think that kind of stuff is fun, even if it's not super accurate haha). One website that popped up was a thread on the Shard with a link to a KR quiz and people discussing their results. I took the quiz, but then I came back to the thread on the Shard and thought, hey, maybe I should share my results too. I found out you needed an account to comment, so I made one. Thing is, after making the account, I never actually commented my results. I got too shy. It was a new website that I didn't really know the rules for or how it worked, so I decided I'd get to know the website a little better before I actually did anything. It's a good thing I did too, because if I'd just commented my results, I would have been necroing a couple-year-old thread haha. But yeah, after lurking for a little while and getting to know the Shard better, I found out it's a super cool place, and started getting involved. :D

2. I don’t even know what to say for this one. I mean, the Shard is just such an incredible place with incredible people. One of my first friends I made after I transferred High Schools was because of the Shard. I’ve made so many friends here. And there are so many things I wouldn’t know about if I weren’t a part of this community. I would love the Cosmere as much as I do (which would just be sad), I would never have discovered booktube and therefore kpop (which have both had a big impact on me), and probably so many other things I just don’t realize I discovered here. Not to mention how many awesome friendships I’ve made, which I will never forget. ^_^

3. There are too many to type out here. I was actually thinking about this last night after hanging out on TLT for the first time in awhile, and there are a storming ton of amazing memories I have from on the Shard (or Shard based discord servers). I’ll try to just put a couple here. One is just all the fun we’ve had on TLT, especially in the first 100 or so pages (though of course it’s still fun, I just remember a lot of those pages). Making up Butt, Arnold, Noodles TM, and just referencing the most random things on there is the absolute best! Oh, and that time we make book forts and someone stole my Oreos, but then we had a campfire so it was okay. And speaking of TLT, does anyone else ever just have the urge to randomly say, “But that was irrelevant.” now, or is that just me? Can’t forget about the fun times in the TUBA PMs either (like that time I threw knives at Bit, but they ended up hitting the tree and then we ate ice cream that Archer brought us :P). Oh, and Ene’s wedding planning, of course! That was honestly so fun, making bridesmaids dresses with Ash and everything else. Wow, okay, this is getting super long, so I think I’ll stop there haha.

Sorry for the super long post! And sorry if that sounded super cheesy lol, it wasn’t on purpose! I love you all and think you’re amazing, the Shard would not be the same without you. Congrats again on 1 million posts!!!! :D

Edited by Rebecca

I lurked on here for a while about 4 years back. You know on the leaderboard all those accounts with more rep than Brandon? Yeah, I was lurking when they were still active. Then I went to a third-world country and had poor access to internet. Fast forward to July this year. I have returned to the good old US of A for to be schooled, and I thought, "Hey, the Shard is a thing. I wonder if it's still as cool as I remember." And it totally is, so I'm here.

If there's anything the 17th Shard has taught me, it's 1) people can be decent to each other, even on the internet, and 2) I can make new friends without being forced together with people by school or whatnot.

I haven't been on here very long, so I don't have much in the way of memories, but let me just say that y'all are awesome and I'm so glad to know you! Keep being awesome!

14 minutes ago, Rebecca said:

Can’t forget about the fun times in the TUBA PMs either (like that time I threw knives at Bit, but they ended up hitting the tree and then we ate ice cream that Archer brought us :P).

"Poison the boys' snacks if they get too rough!" 

"This is why you don't leave dad in charge of the kids" 

There were so many good quotes coming out of that conversation lol. 

6 minutes ago, AonEne said:

"Poison the boys' snacks if they get too rough!" 

"This is why you don't leave dad in charge of the kids" 

There were so many good quotes coming out of that conversation lol. 

Oh my storms yes, I remember those! Wow, that was great haha. I should go back and read it again sometime.

1million wow!

I am not very new to brandon sanderson or the cosmere but I am pretty new to this forum I've lurked here before but only made an account a few months ago, and I love it, Its helped me learn more about the cosmere and usually find myself here while looking for art references or on one occasion a chouta recipe I have yet to make. 

I think one of the big notable memories was going on one day and realizing gancho libre (may he return soon) followed me for some reason

Hopefully I will actually post things more as I have been more active recently and I'm working on some cosmere related art stuff and a stormlight cosplay, probably Hoid, a lightweaver or just a kholin guard.