1 Million Posts Celebration!!

Experience

1: I joined the Shard when a friend told me it existed. My first post was on a debate about who would win in a fight: A Shardbearer or a Jedi.

2: An impact? I had no idea that there were so many great people here! Like Truthless of Shinovar! And Experience. I love all my shardbuddies, though my closest one is probably @DramaQueen... though I guess I can't really choose anyone over anyone else. You also should've seen me when I found the Roleplay section: I was unable to speak for, like, ten minutes!

3: Ohh, let us not forget the time that Chaos purged the forum games... or when Ene became a mod! I, personally, remember when I first saw the Fellowship of the Thing (Then only called I'm Bored; Let's Mess Around) become a "hot topic." Now it's a great story with a great plot and amazing people!

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

Just now, Experience said:

We have finally made it to 1 million posts on the Shard, and so I’m setting up this thread. I think it would be really cool if everyone and anyone would post about a couple things:

1)Why you joined 17th Shard

2)The impact the Shard has had on you since you joined

3)Any fun memories/ anything else that you have enjoyed about the Shard.

I am going to tag a bunch of people so that we can actually have a lot of people be a part of this:

I guess I’ll start. I first found out about the Shard while reading through the Coppermind Wiki during school last year. I started out by lurking, as I'm sure a bunch of people did, and then decided to join Sanderson Elimination (a forum game) and I was content with just playing around in there for a while. Then after a while, I started to branch out and post in other places in the Shard, and I started to get to know (as well as possible online) some of the amazing people that make up this community. I now really enjoy coming onto the Shard regularly and just chatting with people. 

I'd say that the everyone who's a part of the Shard have made a pretty big impact on me. I want to become more like the amazing people on here everyday, and it gives me a little extra boost whenever I jump onto the Shard. 

There are so many fun memories that I can’t even start to count them, though among my favorites are probably the fight for most posts between TLT and TLPW, theorizing about the Cosmere, RP's, and otherwise just messing around with everyone.

Well, that’s enough of me rambling, let’s hear about you guys. 

I joined the Shard because I had read Brandon's books and Mist told me about this amazing website where I could talk about them. I was intimidated by all of the incredibly intelligent discussions, so I left until Mist persuaded me to come back. I LOVE this website and I don't know what my life would be like without it.

I have had so many good times here and I can't wait to have many more!

I've enjoyed everything!!!!! Most of all, though, the people. I love you guys!

I found the Shard by looking up a question I had on the internet. Then I lurked for many moons before finally creating an account. I discovered that I am a terrible truth-teller, logical reasoner, and liar. I enjoyed Selecting the Leader of the Hegemony of the World, though @Channelknight Fadran, know that your leadership is a mere puppet for my control. Also, @Experience, how do you know all those people? That is impressive, especially since I don't remember interacting with you. When did we meet?

All right,

Being the annoying person I am I'm going to try to keep this short. And as blunt as possible.

I enjoy the shard as a place for theorizing, venting off stress, and having enjoyable discussions with people. Plus I know that everyone here is a reasonable person cause they've all read Sanderson. :P

Huzzah! Horray! Woooot! WE DID IT!!!!!!!

Okay, so I also discovered the Shard through researching cosmere questions, but I didn't actually lurk at all, I joined right up! :P That was just this May, in the middle of quarantine.

I can't say how much the Shard has impacted my life. I'm a very socially minded person (With the Consul ESFJ personality) so suddenly being separated from school and from all my friends was a hard and sudden blow. The friends I made here sorta saved my mental state from going crazy :P I joined SE, made a Non-Adult club where the teens of the Shard hang out, and it's been sooo great. Horray! Huzzah! WOOOOOOT!!!!!

Cheers to a million more! 

• AonEne pinned this topic

1: I don’t recall very much how I discovered the Shard. I think I was looking something up and fell into it? My guess is my first post was in the Mistborn forum.

2: It was very helpful for me when my older daughter was really sick, as being on here allowed me an escape from everything else going on. My tarot card thread is probably still around somewhere. (Note to self: finish the major Arcana!)

3: It’s a lot of fun theorizing and seeing how much we can figure out before the books release!

I joined the Shard in January because my sister @Mist had been on this site for a while, and she had been having fun. @Condensation and I joined at about the same time, and when I joined, I wasn't really doing anything until Mayish, when I was 'initiated'. The instant I joined, everyone was so nice to me and included me. One of the first things I joined was The Fellowship (back then called I'm bored. Let's mess around!) and my experience was amazing. I would like to thank everyone who has ever interacted with me here, because it has been amazing and I love this place.

Yay for a million posts!

I came across it while on the coppermind as well, and I started out here by reading some articles (don't tell anyone but I found them kind of boring at first), and then I did an introduction post, and a sharder (you know who you are ;)) helped me by giving pointers to some threads to start out with, which I did. I actually had no lurking phase, I just jumped in and started posting, which meant I didn't know what I was doing half the time :P

Something that has impacted me is all the people here are so nice. It's a hobby of mine to analyze cultures, and this forum definitely has a strong and unique culture, but the rules are not necessarily set in stone. Everyone is welcoming and kind and generous, even to people who make beginner mistakes and do things outside of the culture (cough cough me cough)

There are so many memories, but I think something that will never leave me is the time I've spent on the fellowship and other RP's.

IT's been three years and believe it or not I was very hesitant to join. Initially, I only wanted the aether of the night document. I never thought that I would become so engrossed. I hit the ground running in most areas save theorycraft and RPing (Advanced Courses you understand) I was shocked by how friendly everyone was. Now I consider you sharders to be like a second family. It is humbling to be able to chat and otherwise interact with so many  amazing people spren @Spren of Kindness and one fish (@I Used To Be A Fish) etc.... 

The Shard has really given me a place to go to just be a Sanderfan and nothing else. You all have helped me get through some hard times. Simply. Thank you all!!

How can I pick a memory? It has all been amazing.

14 minutes ago, Experience said:

I joined because I had been lurking in YKYASFW for a while, then I went to Worldcon and saw Brandon. That night at 9:43 pm I joined because I wanted to.

The shard became my primary form of entertainment, friendship, and fun since then.

When tLT became the actual longest thread, when it passed 1000 pages, the Longest Status Update, and this day are the memories that pop out, as well as that whole time when Ene was engaged to Ap.

I suggest that we all remember those who cannot be here.

Edited by Doomstick

Just now, Nathrangking said:

IT's been three years and believe it or not I was very hesitant to join. Initially, I only wanted the aether of the night document. I never thought that I would become so engrossed. I hit the ground running in most areas save theorycraft and RPing (Advanced Courses you understand) I was shocked by how friendly everyone was. Now I consider you sharders to be like a second family. It is humbling to be able to chat and otherwise interact with so many  amazing people spren @Spren of Kindness and one fish (@I Used To Be A Fish) etc.... 

The Shard has really given me a place to go to just be a Sanderfan and nothing else. You all have helped me get through some hard times. Simply. Thank you all!!

How can I pick a memory? It has all been amazing.

I'm a fillet not a fish. *Hmph*

Spoiler

:P

Wow that's a lot of people @Experience.

I found the coppermind while looking for something about Roshar. I don't remember what it was. I lurked on that site for a while and never even thought about the 17th shard. My favorite memory of that time was when I clicked on the Cosmere 101 link on the first page of the coppermind. I was elated for the rest of the day. I then made it onto the shard and lurked for several months. I finally got up the courage to join during quarantine and the rest is history. I will admit when I first joined I wanted to be a theorizer, but then I realized I sucked at it and found the last post wins.

Faviorite memory: Stealing nachos in TLT

I just love everyone here and coming on the shard has almost never failed to make my day.

Edited by Shard of Reading
Wrong Thread

One Million, what a number.

I'm relatively new to the community as I first learned about Brando less than two years ago.

Since then I devoured every cosmere piece of him and I loved it. So eventually, I went to the subreddits and as things develop I find myself lurking in the Shard.

Every once in a while I try yo share my point of view, especially one the mechanics of the different magic systems, they're simply awesome.

Wow! 1 Million posts is definitely a reason to celebrate.  :D 

I can't remember how I found the 17th, I think it had to do with the Coppermind. Yah, that's how I came to be here. I was researching the Cosmere (specifically Hoid and his shenanigans) and I found out that there was a community of Sanderson fans out there that had ideas, theories, and lots of fun. 

The Shard has impacted me is ways that is hard to explain. I think it is amazing knowing there are people out there who have been impacted by Sanderson's work just like I was. And not just knowing of them, I now know them. Which is an incredible experience. 

I haven't been on here long enough to get many memories yet, but I know that there will be many interesting and fun memories to come. :)