Feruchemists & Allomacers using Shardplate?

Boomerang Guy

Don't know if this was done before or if this should be in the Mistborn section or Stormlight section or what.

So could Mistborn use Shardplate effectively, or could they even use it at all?

If a Feruchemist stored enough strength and tapped pewter while wearing Shardplate, Would the plate burst from the increasing size of their muscles?

I am in the middle of part 4 of The Way of Kings so if any of your asnwers spoil anything beyond the way of kings (or anything else latter in the book) please restrain your selfs from spoiling anything monumental. Or at least put it in a spoil box. Thanks Guys! :)

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Just for future reference, if it references other books than the forum you're in, it should go in Cosmere Discussion. Thanks! I'll move it there.

Thanks for the tip! :)

3 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Plate gives the strength to use it, if you mean tap/burning it then no the investiture would interfere.

So if you tapped your pewter metal mind while wearing shardplate it would not do anything?

And how would Steel and Iron Allomancy work while wearing Shardplate?

Hard to say.  Shardplate, even the dead kind, is massively invested, and investiture tends to interfere with investiture, but the investiture is being directed outward in this case. teh way I see it we have 3 basic situations:
1. ferruchemy where the investiture is going to be entirely contained within the plate - i.e. both ferruchemist and metalmind are inside the plate, and the investiture being used is stored physically in the metalmind.  I think this would work OK - we know the Knights Radiant can use at least some of their abilities while wearing live plate, which is likely more invested than the dead plate, but also probably more responsive to the user's will, but ultimately i don't think it will interfere too much here.  for your pewter example, i doubt the plate would pop, but it would probably get very uncomfortable very fast if they got too big

2. internal allomancy - when burning an internal metal (or compounding by burning a metalmind) the allomancer affects themself with their investiture, and it seems unlikley that the plate would interfere with that since it doesnt need to cross the plate.  pewter or tin enhancing physical abilities is an example of this.  however, the source of that investiture is the spiritual realm, it isn't stored in the physical like a metalmind, so its plausible that the plate's investiture could interfere with the process of accessing the investiture in the first place.  I doubt that it would be a problem personally, so I expect that internal metals would still generally work, but there is potentially a case to be made that they would fail.  special case for Bronze: the investiture of the plate around you may be strong enough to wash out the pulses from external sources, like trying to hear a pin drop from the front row of a concert, on the other hand, I don't think the plate's investiture is kinetic, and Eshonai seems to be able to hear the rhythms while wearing plate, which we know is related, so maybe it wouldn't.

3. external allomancy - metals like steel or zinc that affect someone/thing outside of the allomancer.  This is the case that I think will have a problem.  using these metals would require pushing investiture past the shardplate's own investiture envelope, and I think that would cause a substantial amount of interference, probably enough to render external metals just about useless

2 hours ago, McWafy said:

So could Mistborn use Shardplate effectively, or could they even use it at all?

I am going to say yes.  You can summon a blade so you should be able to burn a metal.

2 hours ago, McWafy said:

If a Feruchemist stored enough strength and tapped pewter while wearing Shardplate, Would the plate burst from the increasing size of their muscles?

Possible although plate is adaptable(this is why different people can where it despite different body sizes) so it might be able to compensate.

8 hours ago, Karger said:

I am going to say yes.  You can summon a blade so you should be able to burn a metal.

Agreed.  From the little experience we've seen with Radiants, they keep the internal effects of Stormlight, and since it appears keyed to Identity their own surges can penetrate.  I suspect that a "dead" set would do the same one the basic bond was established, but closest we've had was [WoR/OB Spoiler]

Spoiler

Renarin and he never tried to push a surge through the plate

.  Between that and the direct Spiritual connection for Power/Fuel that Allomancy has, I dont think the plate would interfere with their ability to burn metals, though it could easily interfere with any external Metal effects like Time Bubbles or steel-pushes, and especially ones that require contact like Chromium Leechers.   

Possible although plate is adaptable(this is why different people can where it despite different body sizes) so it might be able to compensate.

Agreed. The only question I have is whether it can make those adjustments fast enough to react to a feruchemical change, and whether it would exhaust it's Stormlight tank to try it very often.  

Edited by Quantus

Past WoKs

Spoiler
48 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Agreed.  From the little experience we've seen with Radiants, they keep the internal effects of Stormlight, and since it appears keyed to Identity their own surges can penetrate.  I suspect that a "dead" set would do the same one the basic bond was established, but closest we've had was Renarin and he never tried to push a surge through the plate.  Between that and the direct Spiritual connection for Power/Fuel that Allomancy has, I dont think the plate would interfere with their ability to burn metals, though it could easily interfere with any external Metal effects like Time Bubbles or steel-pushes, and especially ones that require contact like Chromium Leechers.   

Firstly the OP did ask to spoil this.  Secondly Renarin during the fight with the MM had to take off a gauntlet to heal bridge four members.

13 hours ago, Karger said:

But can you use it? These are distinct questions.Presumably steel, iron, zinc and brass would work only within the Plate.

4 hours ago, Quantus said:

Dammit, thanks.  And cool, thanks I did not recall that scene.

There is also Amaram. He used the Surges only after bursting his sabatons.

33 minutes ago, Karger said:

No they would not.  However pewter and tin probably would.

thats where I land on this too.  burning metals will work fine, and the ones that affect the user specifically will work more or less as expected, but anything that has to corss the barrier that is the plate is going to break down.  special case: for steelsight/ironsight, do you think those still work as normal?  I'm inclined to say they would, though teh actual push/pull would not

1 minute ago, Dunkum said:

thats where I land on this too.  burning metals will work fine, and the ones that affect the user specifically will work more or less as expected, but anything that has to corss the barrier that is the plate is going to break down.  special case: for steelsight/ironsight, do you think those still work as normal?  I'm inclined to say they would, though teh actual push/pull would not

100% guess, but I (very arbitrarily) think dead plate would block it unless you remove the helm, while living plate might be able to incorporate it into the heads-up display.