Mistborn is the Best! Come at Me! :-)

IronEyes40

Hi guys.  I've read almost everything Brandon Sanderson.  I love it all, but my favorite is Mistborn.  There's always another secret!  I have a degree in English, so I really enjoy dissecting his work and discussing with friends.  I own a music business, I've written and produced music for over 30 years; and I played college basketball in a decade that shall remain nameless.  So I guess I'm a music playing, fantasy reading, geeky, ex-athlete.   That's all for now.  Cheer to all...now come at me with what's better than Mistborn!  :D

4 hours ago, IronEyes40 said:

Hi guys.  I've read almost everything Brandon Sanderson.  I love it all, but my favorite is Mistborn.  There's always another secret!  I have a degree in English, so I really enjoy dissecting his work and discussing with friends.  I own a music business, I've written and produced music for over 30 years; and I played college basketball in a decade that shall remain nameless.  So I guess I'm a music playing, fantasy reading, geeky, ex-athlete.   That's all for now.  Cheer to all...now come at me with what's better than Mistborn!  :D

Welcome to the shard!  I really like mistborn too but only the master Brandon Sanderson can outdo himself as he has with stormlight archive. I think the world building is even more better and detailed and I just love a multiple pov book with 10-15 pov characters, all their stories merging to make one coherent read. 
Mistborn was a beginning, an experiment in the direction and SA was the result. 

Wait, wait, wait let me get this straight... 

You are an English degreeing, Sanderson loving, music producing, basketball playing, geekinating, Sharder??

Wow... that's quit the resume right there :P

Glad you decided to come over and join us! Happy to have you here and look forward to being able to read some of your takes on the Cosmere!

Thanks for all the love guys.  I do like the Stormlight series.  One of the problems I have with it though is that it is so long.  I know some readers love this.  I just personally do not.  "War and Peace" is a great book.  However, less people read it and truly understand it's greatness due to its length.  If a book is awesome yet less people read it due to its length, how awesome is it?  Good question.  Yet, do we not give one measure of a books greatness as to how many people read it?  Just a thought.  Again, I do really like Stormlight.  

13 hours ago, Ghanderflaffle said:

I have to agree that Stormlight is better than Mistborn. I love Mistborn, it was my first Cosmere series, but with Stormlight I get to see fear in the eyes of my classmates when I tell them it's a 1300+ pages book. :lol:

Yes!!! This is why I love Stormlight! (There are other reasons but not nearly as important.)

12 hours ago, IronEyes40 said:

Thanks for all the love guys.  I do like the Stormlight series.  One of the problems I have with it though is that it is so long.  I know some readers love this.  I just personally do not.  "War and Peace" is a great book.  However, less people read it and truly understand it's greatness due to its length.  If a book is awesome yet less people read it due to its length, how awesome is it?  Good question.  Yet, do we not give one measure of a books greatness as to how many people read it?  Just a thought.  Again, I do really like Stormlight.  

Hmmm yeah good point! This one so goes both way too like just as you can see from the comment above me some people love that part of it and some people don't really dig it. Totally depends on like you and your own preferences.

I would say that while how many people read it can be a measure of how good it is, some of the other factors definitely come into play. Like Harry Potter for example had like dozens of publishers reject it but yet millions of people love it today. Was it not good before it had been read by x amount of people? Idk, I think that while the number of people that read it can be a result of it being great (and therefore you could say it is a measure of it), there are definitely amazing things out there that just aren't getting the attention yet.

But most definitely, that balance between telling an amazing story and missing out on getting your story across cuz you discouraged people with the length is absolutely a really interesting thing to ponder!