Hello

Berrymand71

Hello. My name is Daniel and I'm an addict.

"Hello Daniel"

I'm addicted to World Building. I have been an addict since the late 70s when I discovered D&D but there were no pre-built worlds or modules back then. I built my own. Not just a small thing but a continent drawn out on a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood in 1 inch hexes. Then I detailed each hex like a module. Then I detailed each location and wrote stories about the locations and characters. Then I joined the Navy and while I was gone, a house for took it all. 

Since then I've done a number of projects but they never take over my life like that first one. I'm mostly recovered.

I also read a lot, which brings me here. I fall in love with books which have, you guessed it; extensively developed worlds, cultures and magic systems. 

I'm also a 20 year Navy veteran, married with two grown daughters and my first grandkid. 

Hello and Welcome to the Shard!

1 hour ago, Berrymand71 said:

I also read a lot, which brings me here. I fall in love with books which have, you guessed it; extensively developed worlds, cultures and magic systems. 

Let me guess, your favorite Sanderson-made book series is the SA?

Who's your favorite Sanderson character?

Welcome to the shard! I love worldbuilding too especially since it is so rare in fantasy to find a world other than our medieval era with horses and swords and castles and everyone’s favourite fae people. 
Brandon is amongst few who do something different 

Which books of his have you read? And which world you loved the most? 

Edited by The Traveller

Welcome, welcome!! Lmao that first part got me :lol:

"Hello Daniel"

I- wow. See I don't even really know what to respond to this. The first thing is just like "Oh my you did WHAT???" That is CRAZY! The scale and size of that for each 1 inch hex with an entire continent mapped. Dang, that is impressive. You don't happen to be kinda patient now do you? :P

And the second thing is, "WHATTTTTT???" Man that sucks more than driving 8 hours to deliver something to a friend and realizing you forgot the only truly important piece of it all once you get there (Ofc I am talking about someone else here, I would never be THAT dumb). All of that and then poof magic fire devil rainbows and its GONE?? Dang, that suuuucks. And while you were off protecting your country too, Karma owes you BIG TIME for that one. At least a silver lining is that I hope no one got hurt??

Man I can totally understand that, the first time may not always have the best skills yet but it always seems to capture something special in it. I would just try to think tho that maybe it was freeing you up to make an even better project in the future!

And my if that's you then you are perfect for SA! Would love to know what you think of it and the world building more in depth.

Lastly and most importantly, thank you for your service! 20 years is incredible (and congrats on the grandkid!)

16 hours ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

Who's your favorite Sanderson character?

14 hours ago, Mist said:

What's your favorite magic system?

So yeah.... I'm only on Hero of Ages in the Mistborn series. I read most of the wheel of time and got so burned out by the end of it that I never finished it. I loved the magic system but the writing style in the middle of the series just drags on. After that, I read a lot of Assimov, Weiss & Hickmann, Ann McCaffrey... most anything I could get while I was deployed. Of Course, Stephen King was very popular on the ship so I've read just about everything he ever wrote. I never did go back and finish the Wheel of Time.

So to answer the actual questions... Favorite Sanderson character is Sazed but that's subject to change as I read more. Favorite magic system... no such thing. I find anything that is well thought out to be amazing. I like hard and soft systems as long as the writer doesn't just magic their way out of problems.

11 hours ago, Honorless said:

How did you discover Sanderson? 

I am currently working on an RPG system that uses D12 dice pools. You build the dice pool using dice from attributes and skills, then roll a handful of d12 dice. It's very satisfying physically and can be mentally challenging. The idea is to be able to duplicate any world setting and specifically build any magic system from any books. D20 games just cannot do this well. After messing around with easy magic systems, it was time to put it to THE TEST. Sanderson is the king of magic systems so I started with Mistborn. I have reached out to Sanderson's agent to see if I can use what I build in a published format (eventually). The amount I work on it will depend on the answer. I have already figured out how to make Allomancy work but I haven't detailed the actual powers.

I'll post some of what I'm working on here eventually.

12 hours ago, Honorless said:

Brandon's worldbuilding is very rich

12 hours ago, The Traveller said:

other than our medieval era with horses and swords and castles and everyone’s favourite fae people.

11 hours ago, Scout_Fox said:

the first time may not always have the best skills

I assume you were talking about worldbuilding here (adult jokes aside). So my first world was standard D&D but had a few small twists. I wanted to be able to use the world for multiple D&D campaigns so the history was stuck in a time loop. I even had the characters try to fix it on multiple occasions but it would always repeat itself. This allowed the players to play new characters in the same time frame and even meet their old retired characters. It was very detailed over the years but also very bland as a setting. All the standard races, nothing extra.

The setting we are working on now... No orcs. They never existed. No dragons, elves, elementals, demons, dwarves, or deities... they existed in the previous age (3 or 400 years ago) but disappeared. Characters can be human or beastkin (human/animal crosses) but session 1 is an apocalyptic event. You soon find out all those things do still exist but the world has been protected from them... but not any more. We don't have a map yet, just a history and BIG ideas.

Dan

Lmao @Berrymand71, a jokester here we have, I see, I see <_<.

Yes, the world building but also numerous other things in general! Typically your first foray into anything you are passionate about has a lot of motivation but not a lot of skill and yet you still make something that turns out incredibly unique anyway. BUT, despite that I know your next project or the one after that or the one after that is gonna capture that same essence the way the first one did, at this point it owes you :D.

My that does sound awesome though! What a brilliant idea to set it all into a time loop that way you keep all that work but it's unique each time. If the cycle of Desolations was becoming a playable game you might be on to something here...

And man that does sound incredible! Big ideas yes but but quite an engaging one. I love the reveal-as-you-go stories where something massive happened and you can't quite figure it out till the end. Can't wait to see how it turns out keep us updated!

• 1 year later...