wildcard09

2 hours ago, Experience said:

Amazing! How'd you make it?

I made it in unreal engine. 

The Stormlight swirling around is just a pretty simple panning material, attached to some circular cards stacked and playing at different speeds. 

The circular cards have special uvs so the planner looks like it's rotating, and I made it in Maya along with the gem, but the gem is nothing special.

The wispy texture I got was made using this thing.

https://www.escapemotions.com/experiments/flame/index.php

I can make a more in depth mini-tutorial if people are interested.

29 minutes ago, Condensation said:

That is literally exactly how I imagined it. Could you also do other shapes and colors, or is it a specific shape kind of thing?

Currently, I'm doing some changes to make it a Niagara component ( basically so I can dynamicly change the color and brightness, and boy I tell ya, it can get really bright)

Off the top of my head, I know chips, marks and broams have a different cut gem in the glass bead but I don't remember exactly what shape they were, I'm sure someone on the forms knows and that would be pretty easy to change.

16 minutes ago, wildcard09 said:

Currently, I'm doing some changes to make it a Niagara component ( basically so I can dynamicly change the color and brightness, and boy I tell ya, it can get really bright)

Off the top of my head, I know chips, marks and broams have a different cut gem in the glass bead but I don't remember exactly what shape they were, I'm sure someone on the forms knows and that would be pretty easy to change.

Oh, that makes sense. Does it ever specify what shape? I don't remember that.

6 hours ago, wildcard09 said:

There's no solid information on the shapes (that I can find at least), but we have sizes (spoilered because it's long, the relevant sizes are down toward the bottom):

Spoiler

MS-07B-3

So what you're telling me is that not only my first edition Words of Radiance, but also my first edition Way of Kings are Dragonsteel guaranteed to be worth at least a sapphire broam in ten years time.

Peter Ahlstrom

I wouldn't go so far as that! Looks like 2-carat cut sapphires are going for about $2000. They printed tens of thousands of copies of Way of Kings. They're not that rare.

MS-07B-3

Ah, so is that the canon size of the gem in a broam?

Peter Ahlstrom

Yes. 2 carats.

R'Shara

Oh, I've been curious about this for a long time. One of my hobbies is working with gemstones, so knowing the sizes (and cuts, because of how light is affected by the cut) of the gemstones in spheres and Soulcasters would be wonderful!

PeterAhlstrom

I'm not sure about the cuts, but broams are 2 carats and the other sizes are proportional to their value.

R'Shara

Thank you, that helps a lot!

would be happy to offer input on cuts, should that ever be wanted

Peter Ahlstrom

The canonization of the cuts is being worked on, just not by me.

Argent

This is great to know, thanks! One last clarification though: is this proportionality linear? In other words:

* Since there are 4 marks per broam, does that make marks 0.5 carats each?

* Since there are 5 chips per mark, does that make chips 0.1 carats each?

Or is there some wonky formula with diminishing returns?

Peter Ahlstrom

Yeah, that's it.

Phantine

Just to clarify, as a jeweler I think those numbers might be a bit on the small side.

A 2 carat sapphire (assuming a standard well proportioned round cut) is going to be about 8 millimeters in diameter.

A 1 ct sapphire is going to be around 5 mm ish.

A 0.1 carat sapphire would be really tiny. Like, about 1 mm in diameter ish? Depends heavily on how shallow the cut is.

It just seems way too tiny (and imagine the poor high-precision lapidarists working on making pennies - diamonds require specialized cutting equipment because they're WAY harder than anything else)

Peter Ahlstrom

Those sizes are pretty much right.

General Reddit 2018 (June 29, 2018)

I've always imagined the cuts as being kind of thin slivers for chips, rhombus-looking things for marks, and the kind of square/rectangular-ish stereotypical gemstone cut for broams.

Edited by Invocation

Just now, Experience said:

I dunno, mostly just messing around in TLT or TLPW. ummm, also RPing. and posting in other random places on the Shard. you?

Mainly FoTt side thread, and the cosmere threads.

I've considered putting a chpater or prolouge for myslef in a thread here.