Mirrored Dimensions

Channelknight Fadran

Aight! Queen wants to play D&D, so now this thread exists!

For those of you who know how to play, then great! Write down a 3-level character and tag me when you’re finished. If you don’t know how to play... well, I’m on mobile, and I HATE text-typing, so I’ll get on my laptop tomorrow and teach you how to then.

The twist I’m adding to this is that you won’t be playing D&D; you’ll be playing one of your characters playing D&D. I won’t just be Dungeon Master Fadran from the Shard; I’ll be Dungeon Master Fadran from the Fellowship of the Thing. This doesn’t change much, but makes for some funny dialogue and theme elements.

Scud, how do I conclude this... oh. Right.

Don’t die!

~Fadran

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

3 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

A swirling breeze blew under the bottom of the door, carrying with it a few crushed leaves from the autumn landscape outside.

There was a rap of silence on the hardened wood, and the door swung open.

Hello? asked Narrator Master of Silence. Is anybody here yet?

“Hi... whoever you are! Care for some D&D?”

Just now, Condensation said:

Yeah, sure.

8 minutes ago, Condensation said:

"Sweet." Motif has on a Star Trek T-shirt and a pair of jeans. His sneakers are blue and white, and his hair is messy.

1 minute ago, Vapor said:

Ana walks in through the open door, wearing navy blue sweatpants and a dark green sweatshirt. She was wearing black-rimmed glasses and a baseball cap covering her purple hair. "Uh, hi."

"Hi. Care to join us?"

You know what, storm the instructions! I'll just have Queen come right now.

A small mouse skitters into the room, followed by a woman all in green, except for a light blue top hat with--oddly enough--a tool belt around it.

"Hey, Fadran!" Queen walks in and sits down, acting like she owns the place. "So, how do we play this?"

9 hours ago, DramaQueen said:

A small mouse skitters into the room, followed by a woman all in green, except for a light blue top hat with--oddly enough--a tool belt around it.

"Hey, Fadran!" Queen walks in and sits down, acting like she owns the place. "So, how do we play this?"

"Yes, well... I'll have my author explain that.

Step one: Print out a character sheet! I recommend this one.

Step two: Invent a character idea! This can be anywhere from something as simple as dwarf with a big axe to as unique as a three-year-old necromancer girl named Janice (I recycle names a lot).

Step three: After you've gotten your basic idea for a character, you need to choose a Race and Class. You can find these in the Player's Handbook, but if you don't have them, I'll just bullet them below:

Races:

• Dwarf - Small and stubborn folk who like killing dragons a lot. Choosing a dwarf gives you more health (through the ability score Constitution). There are two dwarven subraces:
    • Hill Dwarf - For some reason, hill dwarves are wiser than their cousins the mountain dwarves. They also have the unique ability of raising your HP Maximum every time you level up.
    • Mountain Dwarf - These guys give you more strength, as well as proficiency in some armor.
  • Elf - Tall and slender Legoli who like holding their heads higher than everyone else even though they're probably the tallest in the party anyways. Your speed and evasion skills (Dexterity) are increased by choosing an elf, amongst other things. Here are three elf subraces:
    • High Elf - If normal elves weren't stuck-up enough, then these guys certainly are. They do increase your Intelligence, though, and are pretty good for wizards.
    • Wood Elf - Wood Elves are sneakier and generally prettier (thank you, Legolas, for existing). They increase your Wisdom score, which is used towards things like your perception. They also give you proficiency in some weapons, as well as some other cool abilities.
    • Dark Elf - Otherwise known as 'Drow,'  the Dark Elves are kinda shunned by society, and are a DM's go-to stock baddie for forest encounters. They increase you Charisma score, give you proficiency with some fun weapons, and some default spells... but at the cost that you're basically a vampire and hate the sunlight.
  • Halfling - I don't call them halflings; I call them hobbits. Similar to elves, they increase your Dexterity by default, and they have a pretty neat trait called "lucky" that lets you reroll when you get a critical failure (a 1 on the d20). The two subraces:
    • Lightfoot - Their traits are in their name: they are light on their feet. This subrace increases your Charisma, and gives you the ability to hide behind other creatures.
    • Stout - Yes. There's a subrace called 'stout.' They have dwarven blood in them, which increases Constitution, and they give you resistance to poison and poison damage.
  • Human - Here you go. A super-balanced race; and therefore boring. There isn't anything remarkable about humans, because "the best and worst are found among them" (the book says that). Choosing this race increases each of your ability scores, but only by 1 (most of the other races increase one by 2).
  • Dragonborn - Does it have a tail? No, but yes. In addition to just being a freaking half-dragon, you also have this Breath Weapon ability. Granted, it's not super good, but there's nothing quite like breathing pure scudding lightning. Your breath weapon is determined by your color, which is determined by what kind of draconic ancestor you had. This race also increases your Strength score.
  • Gnome - Yes. A gnome. They're smart! They increase your Intelligence score by 2! They have a lot of fun individual traits, and two unique subraces:
    • Forest Gnome - These guys increase your Dexterity score, and let you communicate with cute fuzzy animals!
    • Rock Gnome - Your Constitution score is increased by this subrace, and you can use the Tinkering ability to build some kind of clockwork toy or something.
  • Half-elf - Every other half-elf character is a person who was shunned from the worlds of elves and humans because they're consider an outsider to both. Therefore, the half-elf is generally a 'I have had a hard life where people were racist towards me and I will END RACISM.' They increase your Charisma score, and some skills that you can choose.
  • Half-orc - And so the cycle is complete! We have hobbits and we have uruk-hai. These fellers boost you Strength and Constitution, which makes for a great hammer-wielding warrior. They don't die super well, and they deal even more damage when they score a critical.
  • Tiefling - Tieflings are relatively unremarkable; they're basically just the warlock go-to. They're basically half-demons, which grants you fire resistance (which I do recommend), and are pretty darn good at Intelligence and Charisma.

There there's your races. I'll repost what ability score they have when I explain how ability scores work. 'Til then... classes! Most of them have subclasses or some variant similar to that, which I'll put into subbullets like the subraces.

Classes:

• Barbarian - They big, they scary, they hit you really hard with their axe! To be a Barbarian, you'll want your highest scores to be Strength and Constitution. They give you proficiency in basically everything including a lot of armor, but most players to use armor as a Barbarian for a couple of reasons. Their main trait is their "Rage," which is basically just a kill switch that puts you into murder machine mode. Basically, if you enjoy dealing heaps of damage and never dying, then this is the class for you. There are two subclasses to Barbarian, called Primal Paths:
    • Path of the Berserker: Remember what I said about that Rage thing? Well, why not take even more of it? You can deal even more damage by doing even more attacks.
    • Path of the Totem Warrior: If you want to tune it down a bit and get some resistances and ability buffs, then go with this. You choose a spirit totem thingy that grants you any number of stuff as you ascend the levels.
  • Bard - Every party needs the helpless side character who plays a flute or a guitar! You inspire others through your songs to grant them buffs to attacks and whatnot. Their main ability trait is Bardic Inspiration, which, as I already described, grants buffs to other players in your party. You also have magic to use, but they're not usually that powerful. Your subclasses are called Bardic Colleges, which as far as I'm concerned aren't actual colleges, but whatever:
    • College of Lore - You become a silver-tongued politician through this subclass, and a very skilled adventurer.
    • College of Valor - If you want to join in on the combat, then this is the way to go. You get proficiency in weapons, armor, and at higher levels you even get fun things like extra attacks. 
  • Cleric - A Cleric is a Holy Warrior, and, unless there's a paladin, usually the most powerful person in the party. You choose a deity to swear your fealty to, and get a number of buffs from doing so. This is called your Divine Domain, which you get at 1st level rather than 3rd (unlike most classes). You also have spells, so... that's cool.
    • Knowledge Domain - It is what it sounds like: intelligence. You can get temporary proficiencies, extra skills, and even the ability to read other peoples' thoughts.
    • Life Domain - These are the party's superhealers. Your healing spells heal more damage to the point at which you physically can't heal beneath the maximum possibility of a healing spell. You also have a random ability that gives your weapon extra damage... don't ask me why.
    • Light Domain - If you like creating walls of light to blind your enemies, then this is the way to go! You can dispell magical darkness and harm bad guys with your pure holiness! You also have coronavirus (okay, the ability is called Corona of Light; it was just too good of an opportunity to pass up).
    • Nature Domain - With this archetype, you can protect plants better! You can grant creatures temporary resistance to certain damage types, as well as eventually control animals to do your will.
    • Tempest Domain - Thor! You are literally scudding Thor! Not only can you deal lightning and thunder damage on a whim, but you can also occasionally maximize the damage you deal with the aforementioned lightning and thunder. At higher levels you can smite people with pure scudding lightning, and at even higher levels you can storming fly.
    • Trickery Domain - Loki! You are literally scudding Loki! You can create a magical duplicate of yourself and you can vanish; because, naturally, a guy in heavy plate armor wielding a mace is going to want to sneak around.
    • War Domain - With this archetype, you can become really accurate with your attacks, get extra attacks as a gift from your deity, and eventually even get resistance to a ton of of damage types.
  • Druid - Druids are nature peoples, who enjoy hugging trees and training birds! That might sound boring to some people, but no worries; they have their fair share of cool stuff! In addition to their spellcasting, they can turn into literal scudding animals. Their subclasses are called Druid Circles.
    • Circle of the Land - This subclass really only grants you spells for the most part, but you also don't stumble very easily (immune to certain kinds of terrain), and animals kind of don't want to kill you anymore.
    • Circle of the Moon - You can now become an animal even better, and you can become more powerful animals that you previously would've been unable to become otherwise.
  • Fighter - When you think of a guy with a sword and a shield, you're probably thinking of a fighter. You choose a weapon speciality, and you get a pool of magical-ish energy from which you can draw some emergency health. Eventually, you'll get some extra attacks and an ability to not fail. The archetypes for this class are literally called Martial Archetypes:
    • Champion - A Martial Champion, as the Players Handbook puts it, "focuses on the development of raw physical power honed to deadly perfection." You get a higher chance of rolling a critical, increases physical capabilities, and constant healing each turn at higher levels.
    • Battle Master - These guys learn things called "Manuevers," of which there are many. You gain these "superiority dice" things, which you use in your maneuvers to add stuff to your attacks.
    • Eldritch Knight - Do you miss magic? I don't! Because I chose Battle Master ...but that doesn't matter. Eldritch Knight basically just grants you magic to use, but it also has some other fun stuff. You can choose a weapon to bond with, with which you can learn to do all kinds of fun stuff, like smiting!
  • Monk - They say monk, but these guys are totally ninjas. They don't wear armor, they attack with their fists; they're ninjas, dang it. Just scudding ninjas. This class allows you to channel you chi... oh wait, sorry, ki... with which you can do some fun stuff like "flurry of blows" and "step of the wind." The archetypes are called Monastic Traditions:
    • Way of the Open Hand - At the surface, this archetype seems pretty chill; you can knock people over with an attack, and you heal yourself with your chi ki. Heck, you can even surround yourself with an aura of peace. But if you get to a high enough level, then you can slap someone to vibrate them, then end those vibrations to just straight up freaking murder them dead.
    • Way of Shadow - Remember what I said about the monks being ninjas? Well, now they actually wear ski masks and sneak around! You can summon darkness, teleport between shadows, and attack creatures as a bonus action whenever someone else attacks them!
    • Way of the Four Elements - Water... earth... fire... air... DO YOU WANT SPELLCASTING? APPARENTLY EVERY CLASS WANTS SPELLCASTING!! Okay, but other than the annoying every class needs a spellcasting option thing, this path is pretty dang cool. You can a ton of different elemental things with your not-chi, of which I will not list here, because there are way too many of them.
  • Paladin - Remember back when I said that cleric was the most OP person in the party unless there was a paladin there? Well... this is the paladin. Who wants the ability to kill a dragon in three turns flat? They have spellcasting (unfortunately), but that's kind of just a bonus to their actual stuff... like Divine Smite! You swear an oath as your archetype, from which you get the majority of your power.
    • Oath of Devotion - These guys are your sterotypical Knights in Shining Armor; the holy crusaders who swear to honor and duty. You make one of your weapons your Holy Weapon thing, with which you can do... stuff. Also, at max level, you just deal damage to things without doing anything.
    • Oath of the Ancients - Do you like light? Because these guys like light! They also like dispelling demons by muttering magical prayers. Eventually, you can become nature, and, by definition, overpowered!
    • Oath of Vengeance - "My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." This archetype gives you the ability to literally banish your enemies (to an extent, of course), attack retreating creatures to slay them dead, or become a literal freaking angel of vengeance to slay any who come in your path.
  • Ranger - The most underrated class in the game... and for good reason. While the ranger might seem cool, it's basically just a worse fighter but with spellcasting. That doesn't mean it isn't any fun to play, though. You have a Favored Enemy, against which you're particularly effective. You're also immune to difficult terrain in certain kinds nature, and you can choose a fighting style not unlike the Fighter. You choose a Ranger Archetype, which are called... Ranger Archetypes.
    • Hunter - With this archetype, you become good at killing big creatures, and you can also learn to multiattack! At higher levels, you can dodge things easily, like dragon breath or meteor swarm!
    • Beast Master - Do you want a pet owlbear? So do I! You get a bestial companion through this archetype, which is... basically it, but your companion learns things as you level up, so that's cool!
  • Rogue - The most overrated class in the game... and for good reason. You can sneak attack, dang it! What else could you ask for? Oh... the ability to dodge things? The ability to see in the dark? The ability to pretend you didn't miss and hit instead??? (Rogue Archetypes are called Rogueish Archetypes):
    • Thief - You become a natural pickpocket, you gain the ability to climb buildings, and at higher levels you can learn to use magical items even if you're not supposed to be able to use them in the first place!
    • Assassin - If a creature doesn't know that you're there, then you can smite them with an instant critical. You can disguise yourself to the degree of Shallan, Veil, and Radiant, and at higher levels, you can double your damage whenever a creature is surprised (and fails a con save...)
    • Arcane Trickster - GAH THERE'S A SPELLCASTING OPTION OF COURSE THERE'S A SPELLCASTING OPTION ASdAOSDUIBGQOEWIFVQWOIEC ooh you can steal other peoples' spells.
  • Sorcerer - HELLFIRE!!! BLACK FIRE--oh wait, that's warlock. Do you like channeling pure, raw magic? Good! Sorcerers are siffused with pure magic from one of two sources: A Draconic Bloodline or THE FORCES OF CHAOS. Either of these serve as your archetype... kind of.
    • Draconic Bloodline - You have a dragon ancestor! If you're a dragonborn, then this is a given. You get wings, and you can also terrify people just by existing.
    • Wild Magic - This archetype is very entertaining, and for a variety of reasons. For one, whenever you cast a spell, the Dungeon Master rolls the d20. If they roll a 1, then you roll on a Wild Magic table, and something happens! Maybe you start breathing out purple bubbles; maybe you summon a pillar of flame from the heavens which strikes down any who dares to come near. You can also use your magic to become lucky.
  • Warlock - HELLFIRE!!! BLACK FIRE!!! THIS FIRE IN MY SKIN!!! THIS BURNING!! DESIRE--okay, I'll stop. Warlocks have created some kind of pact with a deity, which is where they draw their power from. Depending on which deity you choose, you get certain powers. You get some special and unique magical powers like Eldritch Invocations. The diety you make a pact with serves as your Archetype.
    • The Archfey - You've gotten your power from some superfairy, and because of this, you become immune to stuff like mind control. You can actually teleport away from something when you take damage, and at a point, you can confuse a creature into thinking that it got lost in a some crazy mist realm (scadrial, perhaps?)
    • The Fiend - You've gotten your power from some superdemon, which gives you more spells and the ability to call down antidivine intervention in things (apparently demons love helping out mortals). Easily the best part about this path, though, is your ability to banish a creature to hell temporarily.
    • The Great Old One - This guy is so old that even he doesn't know how long he's been around. You learn how to touch the minds of other creatures, how to evade attacks, and how to purple-holed enthrall another creature.
  • Wizard - A wizard is never late; nor is he early. He always arrives exactly when he means to. If all you want are spells, spells, and more spells, then go with wizard. There's nothing special about these guys: you just get spells and you cast spells. Simple, sweet, *chef's kiss*. Your archetype is called an Arcane Tradition, and I... need to write all those down... *sigh*.
    • School of Abjuration - You can protect yourself with magic! Basically you're just a walking Banish Machine (patent pending).
    • School of Conjuration - Do you like teleporting? Good! Because this one has teleportation in it!
    • School of Divination - You can see the future... to an extent! You can't actually see the future, but you get some really good perception, amongst other things.
    • School of Enchantment - "Enchantment" is really just a nicer word for "mind control." I think the term "bewitched" serves the best purpose here.
    • School of Evocation - If you want powerful elemental abilities (HELLFIRE!!! BLACK FIRE!!!), then choose this path!
    • School of Illusion - Yes, it's... illusion. Simple as that. You guys know how magical illusions work.
    • School of Necromancy - *Evil giggle* if you want to raise an army of the undead, then go with this! Being a necromancer is fun!
    • School of Transmutation - With this school, you can shape reality and bend it to your will. You can even use the spell polymorph, at a point, as a cantrip!

OKAY!! THERE YOU GO!! Phew. Man, that... that was rough. It was fun to all write down, though. Choose a race, choose a class... I'll help you guys out after that.