RoW Chapter 12 Discussion

Argent

1 minute ago, PrinceGenocide said:

Adolin is soooo cool too. Even tho he is so privelaged he never was spoiled. I love him for that. 

But for the same reason I don't think he will become a Radiant. 

Radiance is a function of Pain and Adolin hasn't really felt any in his life. 

He has been in battles and stuff sure. But he hasn't been through trauma or loneliness like renarin or jasnah or kal . 

He's perfectly happy and I really Don't want that to change, even if it means no superpowers to him. He's happy and doing great as is. I think it's best to let him be. 

Is losing your mother (and also the main parent in your life) at a young age not painful? We've been in his head and he's not perfectly happy, he feels anguish. He's seen the men he cared for, to the point of knowing their names and families, slaughtered around him. He's suffered, "not hurt enough" is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, TMC29ZX said:

I like how Dalinar's autobiography is well known to be going through edits. I think there's probably a wall somewhere that has a progress bar that says "Oathbringer 3rd draft  50%" that all the people in Urithuru follow and every time the percentage moves people notice and get excited.

And then the Stormfather rumbles and the wall explodes. 

Edited by Innovation

5 minutes ago, TMC29ZX said:

I like how Dalinar's autobiography is well known to be going through edits. I think there's probably a wall somewhere that has a progress bar that says "Oathbringer 3rd draft  50%" that all the people in Urithuru follow and every time the percentage moves people notice and get excited.

1 minute ago, Innovation said:

And then the Stormfather rumbles and the wall explodes. 

Are women posting theories as to how it ends?

1 minute ago, Agent34 said:

Is losing your mother (and also the main parent in your life) at a young age not painful? We've been in his head and he's not perfectly happy, he feels anguish. He's seen the men he cared for, to the point of knowing their names and families, slaughtered around him. He's suffered, "not hurt enough" is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

Certainly, but he seems adept at coping with loss in a way that Renarin, Jasnah, or Kaladin isn't.

Like some twisted version of limbo, it seems that Brandon is really trying to see, how low can Kaladin go? T_T

To bring some levity back to this chapter, the only thing I could think while the gang was in Jez’s Duty is that they are in the Rosharan version of a sports bar, which I thought was hilarious. Like if you’ve moved to a different city but there’s still one place that hangs your team’s flag on the wall and shows their games every Saturday... storms now even this is getting melancholic! 

And finally, to all those that were convinced we were getting a Venli chapter this time around.. better luck next time! See you next week! 

Edited by _edgedancer

1 minute ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

Certainly, but he seems adept at coping with loss in a way that Renarin, Jasnah, or Kaladin isn't.

That doesn't mean he hasn't suffered, or if we're being direct on what this is about, that he doesn't have cracks in his spiritweb. But to backtrack on my own argument, one way he responded to loss was to kill someone. Admittedly it was the one responsible but still.

Just now, Agent34 said:

That doesn't mean he hasn't suffered, or if we're being direct on what this is about, that he doesn't have cracks in his spiritweb. But to backtrack on my own argument, one way he responded to loss was to kill someone. Admittedly it was the one responsible but still.

Adolin was being responsible. :P

He saw a recurring problem, and moved to fix it.

7 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

It's painful true but it's nothing compared to how much the others have suffered to get the cracks in the spiritwebs 

Also he seems to have a much more efficient coping mechanisms

1 minute ago, _edgedancer said:

Like some twisted version of limbo, it seems that Brandon is really trying to see, how low can Kaladin go? T_T

To bring some levity back to this chapter, the only thing I could think while the gang was in Jez’s Duty is that they are in the Rosharan version of a sports bar, which I thought was hilarious. Like if you’ve moved to a different city but there’s still one place that hangs your team’s flag on the wall and shows their games every Saturday... shoot now even this is getting melancholic! 

And finally, to all those that were convinced we were getting a Venli chapter this time around.. better luck next time! See you next week! 

Ha, I was thinking more along the lines of the bar from "Cheers". Like Adolin would walk in and everybody would greet him.

Based on that show, at least, for comic effect he should have put in some kind of regular patron who acted as the house know-it-all, expounding his semi-expertise on every topic to everyone, obliviously even to those who clearly would know better first-hand. Like, someone who "couldn't help overhearing" butting in to mansplain to Kaladin about what Radiant spren really look for when he's suggesting Adolin give up his Shardblade.

9 minutes ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

This chapter isn't just necessarily putting Adolin as an Edgedancer.

I mean that seems to be the way it's going but...

He certainly was there when Kaladin needed him.

In the Discord last night people were musing that Adolin won’t revive Maya and become an Edgedancer per se, but rather will fully revive Maya as a shardblade only. Sort of like a Rosharan version of an Awakened blade.

Also, I am pretending I do not see your Stoneward suggestion, as I really want Adolin to be an Edgedancer, because... well. You can probably figure it out. 

"Rock didn’t have a spren either, but he… had moved on to something else. Kaladin wasn’t sure what it was, but he didn’t call himself a squire."

What!!!! OMGOMGOMG!!!!! Am I the only one who exploded in excitement over this??! Does this mean he's on his path to radianthood, but for a different order? Or is it something else? I always felt like Horneaters had special information disguised as religion kind of like worldhoppers are gods, but something else very important to the general plot; so maybe it has something to do with that!!!??

I need some outburn speculation!!! Cause I have a feeling we won't get much of Rock(or anything) 'till his novel! 

1 minute ago, robardin said:

Ha, I was thinking more along the lines of the bar from "Cheers". Like Adolin would walk in and everybody would greet him.

Based on that show, at least, for comic effect he should have put in some kind of regular patron who acted as the house know-it-all, expounding his semi-expertise on every topic to everyone, obliviously even to those who clearly would know better first-hand. Like, someone who "couldn't help overhearing" butting in to mansplain to Kaladin about what Radiant spren really look for when he's suggesting Adolin give up his Shardblade.

Adolin does not have the same ring as Norm. You would also need a Carla like server. Or does Veil fill that role? Hmmm....

4 minutes ago, robardin said:

Based on that show, at least, for comic effect he should have put in some kind of regular patron who acted as the house know-it-all, expounding his semi-expertise on every topic to everyone, obliviously even to those who clearly would know better first-hand.

This sounds like a job for The Lopen. 

2 minutes ago, Shardsplinter said:

"Rock didn’t have a spren either, but he… had moved on to something else. Kaladin wasn’t sure what it was, but he didn’t call himself a squire."

What!!!! OMGOMGOMG!!!!! Am I the only one who exploded in excitement over this??! Does this mean he's on his path to radianthood, but for a different order? Or is it something else? I always felt like Horneaters had special information disguised as religion kind of like worldhoppers are gods, but something else very important to the general plot; so maybe it has something to do with that!!!??

I need some outburn speculation!!! Cause I have a feeling we won't get much of Rock(or anything) 'till his novel! 

Novella, 

Yeah it seems that Rock will probably be another type of Radiant, but this very well may not happen.

1 minute ago, Shardsplinter said:

Rock was able to draw Stormlight as a squire in Oathbringer, I assume he hasn't "pulled back" from that; and I think it's implied he could bond a spren if he wanted to, but that whatever allowed him to draw a Shardbow (even with Stormlight) is the clue.

And yes, it's probably related to his ability to see spren as a alaii’iku, whatever exactly that is; and I'm almost certain whatever role it is that his wife implied he should have become or assumed after his brothers died at the hands of Torol Sadeas, is now thrust upon him after raising a weapon in combat.

Since he recognizes Wit as the same "god" he saw emerge from the Shardpool all those years ago, and in fact live clustered around Cultivation's Perpendicularity which the last we saw, was taken over on the Shadesmar by the Fused... Maybe he's got a mission there? But why be so certain he'd never see Kaladin again (at least, not in the Physical world)?

My faith in Adolin is everlasting. I storming love that kid. This was an amazing chapter. So much dynamic interaction, ups and downs, realistic dialogue and character exposition. Just beautifully done. 

I love how so much of our speculation from pre ROW, post OB times, Brandon just lays to rest in a chapter lol. like it's nothing. 

Yeah, Wit's here, everyone knows him; Shallan is okay but there are semi-formed personalities laying in wait; Dalinar told everyone about Evi...etc. etc. lol

So. Good.