Cosplay tips?

ima willshaper

So a couple years ago my friend and I made Mistborn cosplays that mostly turned out pretty great. I'm trying to revamp my whole outfit and make it just that much better for this year's Halloween and also just for fun. So basically I already have a mistcloak that I'm happy with, but I'd love tips for what to put in metal vials. I made some a couple years ago with metallic glitter and water... Looked cool but failed because, apparently, water can evaporate through cheap cork and it also gets stinky in there, so I ended up with liquid-less, smelly lil metal vials. So basically I'm wondering if there are any other ideas for what liquid to put with the metals and some cheap ways to get more realistic metal flakes than just glitter, because I do still have the glitter but it doesn't look super realistic. Any other general Mistborn cosplay tips would also be awesome!

If you're of age and in a place where you can drink it, you could go the Wax way and use alcohol, LOL. Goldschlager has real gold flakes in it which you can actually drink (I have, on many occasions, and I am still here to tell the tale): https://www.sazerac.com/our-brands/sazerac-brands/goldschlager.html I have no idea how it would really look in a vial, but here it is in a bottle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq3O9d0xQEE

To all the kids out there: don't drink alcohol. To everyone else, please drink responsibly.

I’d use cooking Vodka (don’t drink!) and aluminum foil. If you don’t want to use an alcoholic beverage use... distilled alcohol. (DO NOT DRINK!!!) You should have that in your bathroom. Clear mouthwash can work too.

Gold and Silver foil can be bought at most stores. You can also find actual gold, silver and copper sheets at many art stores and they don’t cost too much. I would not suggest eating it though.

If you want some really cheap metal go aluminium foil, rip it to pieces and crumble them up a bit! It should do ok with water as well, just op up the bottle once in a while and rinse it all out ofter the evening is over. ;)
Should be a problem drinking it either, but I'm not goign to recommend that! :P

Oil will have plenty of colour to make the metal less visible, and may also be a source of a smell- and/or yucky-problem.

Any alchohol will also evaporate as with water.

It's not as visually compelling as metal flakes suspended in liquid, but for my mistborn cosplay, I used plastic vials of black, grey, and silver sprinkles. This photo was taken after I downed most of the really metal-looking sprinkles, but you can still see how shiny the black sprinkles are.

IMG_20200301_155929.thumb.jpg.99d49507e5add99ff2c21a3d01384d50.jpg

You can find sprinkles that are pretty shiny, so from a distance it looks like metal. The real benefit is that it's completely edible. In a non-covid time you'd also be able to share them with friends, which is fun at parties.

If you are willing to spend a bit of money, you can buy really cool vials on etsy. One person sells them with the real metals actually inside (apart from atium, of course :P): https://www.etsy.com/listing/645772730/mistborn-metals-vials-officially?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=mistborn+vials&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&frs=1 

I don’t think that they have liquid and they are pricey if you want more than one, but they’re still pretty awesome.

Are you going to actually eat/drink these? Because if not, you might consider using metallic beads, suspended in clear resin. Beads come in many sizes, and IIRC many craft stores also sell bottles of those teeny-tiny metallic beads that are meant to be just glued onto stuff, not made into jewelry etc. - you'd find them with the scrapbooking/glitter stuff.

Whatever you end up with, please post a photo or 2 here if you can! Your costume too, in addition to the vials.:)

9 hours ago, Iarwainiel said:

Are you going to actually eat/drink these? Because if not, you might consider using metallic beads, suspended in clear resin. Beads come in many sizes, and IIRC many craft stores also sell bottles of those teeny-tiny metallic beads that are meant to be just glued onto stuff, not made into jewelry etc. - you'd find them with the scrapbooking/glitter stuff.

Whatever you end up with, please post a photo or 2 here if you can! Your costume too, in addition to the vials.:)

I'm not planning on eating/drinking any of them except the sprinkles one, and the metallic beads sound great!

I will definitely post photos when it's done, but there's a looot of work to do to finish it so it might be a while. I'm definitely excited to put it all together though!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/2/2020 at 8:23 AM, Shard of Reading said:

Sorry to hijack the thread @ima willshaper but I was looking for advice on how to make a mistcloak/mistcoat (Wax's mistcloak) and I don't want to buy one. Ideas?

Sorry I didn't see this sooner! What I did to make my mistcloak was I got a simple cloak pattern, mostly so I could use the hood pattern. I also got a whole bunch of grey polyester stuff that's stretchy and doesn't fray when you cut it (I could figure out what it's called exactly but I don't remember right off) and it kind of looks silky. This worked really well because then I didn't have to hem every single mistcloak strip, and it's really flowy, but I don't think it would work for a mistcoat sort of thing because it's so thin. Most of this stuff I found at Hobby Lobby. I sewed the stretchy polyester stuff to a hood made of regular grey cotton fabric, then cut the polyester stuff into strips. The grey cotton fabric was good for the hood because then it didn't flop around my face, and I don't think making it with two kinds of fabric really hurt it any. I didn't really use the cloak pattern for the strip part. I cut a quarter-circle out of one corner of the big piece of grey silky fabric, sewed the hood to the circle, and then sliced it up. I added another layer of strips underneath just to make it thicker. It was pretty easy really. I think if you want to do a mistcoat maybe just buy a long coat and cut the bottom up?

I've almost finished my cosplay, by the way -- I haven't forgotten to post pictures lol I just don't have it all together yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/21/2020 at 7:44 PM, go_go_gragdet said:

If you're of age and in a place where you can drink it, you could go the Wax way and use alcohol, LOL. Goldschlager has real gold flakes in it which you can actually drink (I have, on many occasions, and I am still here to tell the tale): https://www.sazerac.com/our-brands/sazerac-brands/goldschlager.html I have no idea how it would really look in a vial, but here it is in a bottle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq3O9d0xQEE

To all the kids out there: don't drink alcohol. To everyone else, please drink responsibly.

Bonus points: if I'm cosplaying as a Mistborn while carrying a metal vial that only has gold flakes in it, that's gonna be an in-joke right there.

Mistborn v. Inquisitor cosplay throwdown!

Inquisitor: I have three spare vials of base metals and plenty of atium. How are you doing, Kelsier?

Me (in Charlie Brown "I got a rock" voice): I've got some gold!