5 hours ago, Kynedath said:

Alright folks, the time is almost here! Signups will close in 12 hours, and the game will start shortly there-after.

If there is anyone who would like to sign up but hasn't now is your time! If you're already signed up but want to change something about your character, let me know now or forever hold your peace. @Elkanah if I recall correctly you are searching for an appropriate character, come up with anything yet?

I'm excited folks! Let's get this party started!

Thank you for the reminder.

I'll bring back Lenkai from QF 43. He didn't really get a fair shake then, so here is his chance to be more than a redshirt.

True to his name, he has committed himself to serene wisdom. After years of solitude and study, he has realized that true wisdom is in self preservation. For how could anyone benefit from his powers if he were not present? Pray his wisdom is on your side.

Given playing wisely isn't typically my strong suit, I will try to be clever and stable with my playstyle for the sake of Lenkai... but you know when chaos comes calling me... I may defect. sorry. Anyway, if my playstyle changes drastically from the last game (or even from one cycle to the next) it's because I'm trying to be good for Lenkai.

I too am very excited. Thank you for running this game!

46 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

@Frozen Mint, I believe you were considering joining up and had planned to decide before signups end, in a little over an hour. Just making sure you don't miss out on this if you can participate :P 

Thanks Matrim. :) The game looks super cool, but I don't think I'll have the energy to play something this complex over the next few weeks. I'll pass on this one. Appreciate the reminder though.

Reforging Arelon - Day 1

The city of Kae was in chaos, the sky had fallen and their gods weren't there to pick it up again. There were riots and nobody had heard from the city of Elantris in weeks now. The merchant guild had just barely gotten control over the markets, but already they were sending guards every which way. The city needed a new ruling class and nobody but the merchants had been organised enough to become the new governing body of Arelon. It seemed that the merchants were setting up shop and starting to implement new laws and sending guards to enforce them.

By nightfall there had been an election. King Iadon was the new ruler, put in power by the merchant guild. Surprisingly decisive for them as they normally squabbled and fought over every contract. Now there was no time, there was a country to run, and the main support structure had just fallen weeks ago. The merchants set up supply lines to get food to the hungry, and a market for the economy to get started again. Things were going smoothly until a Fjorden priest was found in the city, plotting to destabilise the new government and deliver the shattered remains of Arelon to Fjordel. When the guards arrested him they found letters of correspondence to several members of the new merchant court, although the names had been conveniently left out. It didn't help matters when the priest let slip that a Dakhor monk had been sent to ensure the downfall of Arelon.

The merchant court grew restless and chaotic as they tried to find the impostors, the sympathizers. A hunt would soon begin, and the merchants would have to manage both the investigation and the constantly changing political landscape of Arelon.

Welcome to LG 70! The rules will evolve as the game progresses, I hope to stay on top of it and post all of the rules updates as they happen each turn. See this link to the rules doc for a comprehensive set of the rules for this game. 

Thank you to Zillah for helping me get PMs out! It was a huge help!

The day cycle will end in ~47 hours at 2000 MDT (0200 GMT)

Rules at the beginning of the game:

• No vote minimum
  • 1 action per player, usable during the night only
  • PMs are closed

Item market:

Spoiler
Item Price
Noble Insignia 22
Trade rights 22
Embargo 35
Personal Messenger 15

Contract Market:

Spoiler
Contract Price
Muder 100
Surveillance 65
Bodyguard 55
Identity theft 79

Player list:

Spoiler
  1. @xinoehp512 - Enjoys counting
  2. @Gears - Kadio, the ultra-capitalist
  3. @Mist - Tara Night, is their heart as dark as their last name?
  4. @Ashbringer - Faleast, . . . bone collector?
  5. @Matrim's Dice - Phialico, rhymes with calico
  6. @Elkanah - Lenkai, the anithesis of the player
  7. @Illwei - Akiia, big fan of onions and probably ogres (layers joke)
  8. @Kings_way - Oreo, double aon = double cool
  9. @Lord_Silberfarben - a man of two words
  10. @Lotus - Sunwalker, quote: "horribly unlucky"
  11. @Vapor - Taeon, hates most things (lik most 30-something year olds)
  12. @Ventyl - Lafay Etteax, keeps dying and coming back to life!
  13. @Butt Ad Venture - Lawrence Lokennake, Kleptomaniac? or Charlatan?
  14. @TJ Shade - everyday working-man
  15. @Devotary of Spontaneity - Serenken, establishment clause for the win!

Edited by Kynedath

Philico slunk through the streets of Kae, hood over his human-like face. It was close enough- even for a member of the Sleepless Philico was ancient, and was practiced at imitating the human race- but it wasn't perfect. Given closer examination the deformities would be obvious; under the clothes he wore his body was anything but what a human's was. He was sure that after a couple more hundred years worldhopping through the cosmere his imitations would be better, but for now this would do, the cloak shrouding his fake face. No one looked twice at him as he made his way through the marketplace.

Sunwalker really had no idea how he had become a merchant. He was now, apparently, in charge of several major salt companies. 

Strangly enough, he found he was quite good at manipulating the other merchants. It made him wonder, once again, what had happened before he had woken up on that thaylen shipping boat. Perhaps he had worked on a political campaign.

Either way, his senses were tingling that something was amiss with this new king, although had no clue how on earth this color forsaken planet was supposed to work.

Lawrence threw open the doors to his shop, letting a breeze rush past him bringing a chill from the outside. He was lucky to have gotten so much out of the city. Priceless works of art, and other pieces of junk that he could call priceless works of art to rich nobles. They're easy enough to rob from afterall. Willing to do anything for a bit of fame. Made his work easy. Because wherever there are nobles, there are politics. And where ever there are politics, there are cracks. And it's more than easy enough to exploit those cracks if you know what to do..

Lafay Etteax watched Ola float around, taking on the appearance of a seon representing the Aeon Deo. She seemed to enjoy being able to freely show herself off to al of the Selish folk, though he constantly worried someone would ask her to do something only a Seon could. Though it’d been almost half a year since he’d come to Sel hoping to become an Elantrain and failing. It was unfortunate that Elantris had fallen, and getting off the planet would be a bit difficult as he’d become a pretty accomplished merchant in his short time on Sel. Now he couldn’t just leave, he had to help them start up their new country, then he would leave.

Lenkai hefted a rock. It was a little larger than the hand he held it in and probably weighed a full measure and a half. Pretty dense for a rock that size. This would do nicely. A man taken in rebellion against the government was not a man welcome in the new city of Kae. He hurled the rock at the perpetrator. It glanced off the mans head with a satisfying thud and he began to bleed from his right temple. Lenkai found another workable stone, but before he could throw it, the guards showed up. Early. He had meant to teach the man a lesson before he was hauled off to prison. Oh well. It wasn't wise to stay.

Lenkai merged back into the crowd. The bustle was a great ally. He watched joyfully as the dissident was hauled off.

--------------------------------

Now that the important stuff is done, I have a couple more rule clarifications if you don't mind @Kynedath and @Zillah

Do items stack? Like could I use three insignias or trade rights in one turn?

Can an embargo (or other role block) block the use of items or only actions? If it blocks an item, is the item still used?

Will we be able to tell the difference between the elim kill and a murder?

Can we buy out an item or contract or are all options always available (if at possibly different prices).

7 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

Do items stack? Like could I use three insignias or trade rights in one turn?

Can an embargo (or other role block) block the use of items or only actions? If it blocks an item, is the item still used?

Will we be able to tell the difference between the elim kill and a murder?

Can we buy out an item or contract or are all options always available (if at possibly different prices).

You can have as many items as you want, including multiples of items, but you can only use one item per turn.

Yes, embargoes can block items, and the item is used.

No, you will not be able to tell the difference.

Excluding the identity theft contract there is an infinite supply of items and contracts. There is only one identity theft contract.

35 minutes ago, Kynedath said:

You can have as many items as you want, including multiples of items, but you can only use one item per turn.

Yes, embargoes can block items, and the item is used.

No, you will not be able to tell the difference.

Excluding the identity theft contract there is an infinite supply of items and contracts. There is only one identity theft contract.

Thank you :D

---------------------------------

Here's an interesting question to get things going:

What is everyone's thoughts on Noble insignias? Should we assume anyone in possession has a vested interest in staying alive and is therefore a traitor? That would make the thief role have an extra function in helping us out elims. 

@Kynedath, do burglars know from whom they stole what when they unlock their second target action?

What? no I'm not just asking questions of the GMs to ensure someone posts so I can post again. Why would you think that?! 

To answer my own question I think a noble insignia is an appropriate and maybe necessary purchase for every member of the village. I know there are more of us than of them, but it may be the difference between a good catch and a mislynch. I am happy to hear someone disagree with me. 

1 minute ago, Kynedath said:

Yes.

Thank you ^_^

-----------------

More relevant conversations. 

Analysis of moneys. Since there is an unlimited number of murder actions, it isn't especially a race to get the gun. I have little doubt at least one elim will do nothing except save money. If the elims started with ten deo, they can get a murder on night four. If there are four elims and three of them started with ten deo, the fourth will submit the kills while the other three prepare for the night four massacre. I had considered not putting this information out here, but I have a high enough opinion of the rest of you to believe that the elims have already realized this possibility. Can I recommend those of you with a mind to survive save up and hire a mercenary bodyguard on either the fourth or fifth night? That way they don't get around our brilliant counterstrategy by just waiting until turn five to use their extra kills.

Re-reading the rules as I had initially just rushed through them. We need to be very careful about an elim!Adjudicator and hence be careful about mentioning suspicion beforehand. It would be recommended not to mention any suspicion that would make it obvious to an elim Adjudicator that their fellow elim might be the target of majority of the players to lynch. We'd waste an important cycle that way. If you are afraid that you'll die, mention your suspicions at the last moment of the Night cycle. 

Speaking of Adjudicator, I've got a question. What will happen if an Adjudicator saves a player from the lynch? Will there be no elimination that cycle, or will the player with second highest votes will be eliminated?

Alas, rollover happens whilst I languish deep in slumber. Do not expect anything out of me for the first 8-10 hours of a cycle. For lack of other things to do, rule analysis commences below.

Factions: The village wants the Dakhor Monk Spy alive since the Fjorden Sympathisers will actively try not to live while this is the case. The Fjorden Sympathisers want the Dakhor Monk Spy dead because they cannot win until this is so. The Dakhor Monk Spy wants the Fjorden Sympathisers to win so they can snatch victory out of their blood-stained hands. Option 1: Actively try to keep the Dakhor Monk Spy alive while they work against the village. Option 2: Let the Dakhor Monk Spy die as it will and just focus on finding the Fjorden Sympathisers. Option 3: Actively try to kill the Dakhor Monk Spy. I personally prefer the second option. 

Roles:

King Iadon: Swap 2 people's role. @Kynedath, what happens if King Iadon targets a faction-specific role? Can KIng Iadon target themself? It is a priority to keep this role alive, not for the role itself but for the consequences upon its untimely demise. If King Iadon dies, the Executive Secretary [our only scanner] loses its abilities and the Markets are shut down. Keep yourself alive, oh great King. We are lost without your royal visage.

Adjudicator: Grants lynch immunity. If an elim has this role, we should all fear the power of judges and decision makers. However, it cannot self target, so we should defenestrate this individual as soon as possible. If you are a villager with this role, do not use it until you are certain of the innocence of your comrade, and even then, hesitate.

Executive Secretary: Our best and only scanner. Stay alive. The longer you live, the more precious you become. Try not to be too obvious with your information. We need you.

Socialite: Chit-chat the rattle-cat. Useless until PMs open. Perhaps we can intentionally split the vote to allow Socialites to create group PMs. The anonymous message feature can be useful if you have anything to share privately.

Actor: Makes players lose money, acts as a stunt double. If you are ever going to be murdered, go body-hunting.

Trademaster: For the sake of our wallets, stay alive. 

Kingpin: For the sake of our wallets, stay alive.

Burgler: Accumulate four items as fast as you can. Then do what you want with them.

Lynch: The only bad scenarios are Martial Law and Anarchy. These strictly benefit elims since they make it harder to lynch people.

Actions: Role, money, purchasing, PMs. 

PMs: We should have a lynch today just to unlock PMs. Then we can decide if we want abstain for a cycle to be free of limits. 

Currency: Useful. Hoard it like the dragons of old. Wealth is power.

Items:

Noble Insignia: If you think you'll be suspicious, feel free to take this. For instance, I am planning on claiming elim yet again in hopes that it will finally work this time.

Trade Rights: Great way to ensure someone's demise. 

Embargo: Roleblock. 

Personal Messenger: A PM for those bereft of actions. 

Contracts:

Murder: Expensive, if you think someone is an elim that won't be lynched, you are welcome to try.

Surveillance: This is good. Get it. Opens up some bus strategies.

Mercenary Bodyguard: A protect. 

Identity Theft: @Kynedath, can this theft steal faction-specific roles? Fascinating. So many possibilities.

Kadio grinned as the customers flowed through the markets like water, bringing their wealth with them. Did they know that the merchant guild was colluding to drive up prices? Perhaps, perhaps not. But they spent Deo like it was toxic, and the merchants profited. Abruptly, he coughed violently. Terminal illness. He would not live for very long. He was wealthy, but his wealth could not save him from this. He was the best of the merchants, and yet he was to be struck down. He would not allow it. If he was to die, all others would die with him. The Fjorden priests wished to overthrow the merchants. Ordinarily, he would slaughter them, but now? When his lungs had decided to tear themselves apart? Trying circumstances bring the strangest of allies. 

[For those who cannot tell, I am claiming elim yet again. I promise this strategy has merit. Also, I find it funny. You are welcome to disagree with me, but what's done is done.]

4 hours ago, TJ Shade said:

Speaking of Adjudicator, I've got a question. What will happen if an Adjudicator saves a player from the lynch? Will there be no elimination that cycle, or will the player with second highest votes will be eliminated?

If the adjudicator saves someone from the lynch successfully there will be no lynch that cycle. That does have the potential to trigger Assembly.

1 hour ago, Gears said:

King Iadon: Swap 2 people's role. @Kynedath, what happens if King Iadon targets a faction-specific role? Can KIng Iadon target themself?

Identity Theft: @Kynedath, can this theft steal faction-specific roles? Fascinating. So many possibilities.

King Iadon can swap faction specific roles so long as the recipient is of that faction. If they are a different faction the action fails. Yes he can target himself.

Read King Iadon, they have to be the right faction to steal it.

9 hours ago, Elkanah said:

What is everyone's thoughts on Noble insignias? Should we assume anyone in possession has a vested interest in staying alive and is therefore a traitor? That would make the thief role have an extra function in helping us out elims. 

If someone is under enough suspicion to buy one, I don't think we should assume they're an elim. But it could be interesting if someone is found with an unnecessary stockpile, though I don't know if there are item scanners... I probably should actually read Gears' analysis now, as opposed to skipping it...

2 hours ago, Gears said:

[For those who cannot tell, I am claiming elim yet again. I promise this strategy has merit. Also, I find it funny. You are welcome to disagree with me, but what's done is done.]

Role analysis and claiming elim? NAI Gears stuff, I think. But also I wouldn't read it as village cause he's probably gonna just claim elim at the start of every game regardless of alignment :P 

I'll join the D1 poking fun... Ashbringer! @Ashbringer You're following the thread! Welcome to the game! ;) 

I do think we should try to unlock PM's, though.

2 hours ago, Gears said:

I don’t know how I should feel about this strategy, it feels too similar to my own :ph34r:. Except the elim claiming part, I just like to cause as much chaos in order to make hopefully useful conversation. 

I shall poke Gears, only for the reason that he’s using a similar strategy to my own :P. (He did say he was an elim too?)

Hooray, posts!

5 hours ago, TJ Shade said:

Re-reading the rules as I had initially just rushed through them. We need to be very careful about an elim!Adjudicator and hence be careful about mentioning suspicion beforehand. It would be recommended not to mention any suspicion that would make it obvious to an elim Adjudicator that their fellow elim might be the target of majority of the players to lynch. We'd waste an important cycle that way. If you are afraid that you'll die, mention your suspicions at the last moment of the Night cycle. 

Given the relative power of an adjudicator, what do you think the odds are of the elims starting with one? Of course with a body snatcher contract and King Iadon moving stuff around anything becomes possible. It is a pretty big drawback to the role that actions can only be taken at night. Whoever has this role is going to have an interesting time guessing because frequently we haven't decided who we are lynching until the last ten minutes of the cycle, much less the night before!

As a general principle you are correct that elim adjudicators have easy targets. I suppose I think playing around that kind of power is going to be harder than waiting to have a lynch discussion until the day turn. That's probably why murder contracts are so cheap. The elims have the possibility of locking us out of the lynch, so we have other means of taking them down. 

3 hours ago, Gears said:

Factions: The village wants the Dakhor Monk Spy alive since the Fjorden Sympathisers will actively try not to live while this is the case. The Fjorden Sympathisers want the Dakhor Monk Spy dead because they cannot win until this is so. The Dakhor Monk Spy wants the Fjorden Sympathisers to win so they can snatch victory out of their blood-stained hands. Option 1: Actively try to keep the Dakhor Monk Spy alive while they work against the village. Option 2: Let the Dakhor Monk Spy die as it will and just focus on finding the Fjorden Sympathisers. Option 3: Actively try to kill the Dakhor Monk Spy. I personally prefer the second option. 

This is pretty interesting. Option 2 makes the most sense to me. Hunting the spy does nothing to help us with our win con and with luck will waste at least one of the elim's night kills. Keeping them alive may become relevant at Lylo as the elims either have to guess which villager is the spy or eat one of their own, but until that point they may as well be another villager... who is voting for villagers.

3 hours ago, Gears said:

Socialite: Chit-chat the rattle-cat. Useless until PMs open. Perhaps we can intentionally split the vote to allow Socialites to create group PMs. The anonymous message feature can be useful if you have anything to share privately.

3 hours ago, Gears said:

PMs: We should have a lynch today just to unlock PMs. Then we can decide if we want abstain for a cycle to be free of limits.

Yes please. I like PMs.

1 hour ago, Matrim's Dice said:

If someone is under enough suspicion to buy one, I don't think we should assume they're an elim. But it could be interesting if someone is found with an unnecessary stockpile, though I don't know if there are item scanners... I probably should actually read Gears' analysis now, as opposed to skipping it...

Role analysis and claiming elim? NAI Gears stuff, I think. But also I wouldn't read it as village cause he's probably gonna just claim elim at the start of every game regardless of alignment :P 

I'll join the D1 poking fun... Ashbringer! @Ashbringer You're following the thread! Welcome to the game! ;) 

I do think we should try to unlock PM's, though.

The closest thing we have to item scanners is burglars. It'll be interesting to see what they can find.

I'll vote for Devotary.

Half of us are here so it's time to start analysis ^_^

Matrim - Good RP. Votes Ashbringer. Wants PMs. Pretty in character for Matrim. very slight village

Lotus - Good RP

Venture - Good RP. Random votes Xino over Gears (Gears' plan is working)

Ventyl - Good RP. Votes Gears not because Gears is elim, but because Gears is using the same strategy. Confession of guilt? "Gears is using my strategy." "Gears' strategy is sus." "My strategy is sus?"

Elkanah Good. wise. benevolent.

TJ Shade - Leery of adjudicators of all alignments

Gears - Good RP. Is an elim.

Have Yet To Post

Xino

Mist

Ashbringer

Illwei

Kings Way

Silberfarben

Vapor

Devotary

That should give you all something to think about :)