Fabrials and invested metals

soul stripper

58 minutes ago, soul stripper said:

In which way do you think ferruchemy and hemalurgy will affect fabrials?

I believe that the Invested nature of Feruchemically or Hemalurgically charged metals will interfere with the functioning of the fabrials, though there could be some interesting interactions with them, similar to how burning a Feruchemically charged metal is different to burning a normal metal.

I was thinking about Feruchemy and Fabrials. I don't think that would change the effect of the metal on Fabrial, it would just use the stored Investiture instead of Stormlight.

And/or you could use Stormlight to fuel the Feruchemical power, as in Compouding. But it may take a few more steps to work.

2 minutes ago, Raphaborn said:
I was thinking about Feruchemy and Fabrials. I don't think that would change the effect of the metal on Fabrial, it would just use the stored Investiture instead of Stormlight.

And/or you could use Stormlight to fuel the Feruchemical power, as in Compouding. But it may take a few more steps to work.

This is my thoughts as well. Maybe if it's an unkeyed metalmind it might have an effect. Otherwise I think the Investiture would pass through the metal like it does for an Allomancer who can't do Feruchemy 

2 hours ago, StanLemon said:

This is my thoughts as well. Maybe if it's an unkeyed metalmind it might have an effect. Otherwise I think the Investiture would pass through the metal like it does for an Allomancer who can't do Feruchemy 

That's interesting. Maybe it is because only a feruchemist can use their invested metal so other magic systems also cant interfere with it

I feel like it should be possible to get a Hemalurgic spike to do something new in a Fabrial. Like if you went to Shadesmar and stabbed a spike into a spren, you would expect that to do something. But just making wires out of a Hemalurgic spike probably wouldn't be enough. You'd have to find a way to pierce the spren in the right bind points, which sounds like a logistical nightmare. 

Making wires out of an unkeyed metalmind is a more promising direction to take the research in, to me. That feels like it could work. Though obvious unkeyed metalminds aren't exactly easy get a hold of on Roshar. 

• 1 month later...

I think it would have an incredibly large effect. We know that regular allomantic metals have an effect on fabrials. Major effects that can be similar or not to what the original metal does. I think using hemalurgic spikes as metals on voidbinding fabrials to do crazy things. I'm surprised hoid hasn't shown a greater interest in fabrials as I bet they can come in useful when you want magical results without necessarily doing the magic yourself. They might also have weird hacks that magic systems might have trouble doing. Also it seems likely we could have Breath Fabrials which no one is talking about.

7 minutes ago, Dawnshard said:

I think it would have an incredibly large effect. We know that regular allomantic metals have an effect on fabrials. Major effects that can be similar or not to what the original metal does. I think using hemalurgic spikes as metals on voidbinding fabrials to do crazy things. I'm surprised hoid hasn't shown a greater interest in fabrials as I bet they can come in useful when you want magical results without necessarily doing the magic yourself. They might also have weird hacks that magic systems might have trouble doing. Also it seems likely we could have Breath Fabrials which no one is talking about.

with regards to using Breath in fabrials I'm more intrigued by the possibility of enhancing/empowering Spren with Breath (my life to yours, my breath become yours) to augment them, and then using them to make a fabrial.

6 hours ago, Dawnshard said:

What do you guys think about the second arms race? The race between Scandrial learning more about unkeyed metalminds (and the allomancy boxes) vs. the fabrial science on roshar which made a flying ship! Who do you think will win that race?

I think fabrials are more flexible than metalminds, so if we're going purely by the magic itself probably those. They're way harder to bring offworld at the moment though