Hey guys!

I decided to become a not smart person, and not only join another RP, but also create one! Similarly to Negative Null’s “Siren’s Call,” this is based off of a magic system my cousin and I created when we were pretty little. It’s not nearly as well-developed as Siren’s Call is, so that leaves lots of room for improvising!

Here is a little bit of a summary of the magic system as it was created mostly by Fadran, though somewhat by me and Ex-Fish. Ignore any references to the OP, as this is, obviously, different from what it was.

Spoiler

There are twelve gemstones! These gemstones have the unique ability to do magic stuffs, and, depending on which month you were born in, you can draw power from a gemstone to perform magic. The gemstones and their Earth month equivalents are shown in this spoiler box:

Spoiler

January equivalent: Garnet

February equivalent: Amethyst

March equivalent: Aquamarine

April equivalent: Diamond

May equivalent: Emerald

June equivalent: Pearl

July equivalent: Ruby

August equivalent: Peridot

September equivalent: Sapphire

October equivalent: Tourmaline

November equivalent: Topaz

December equivalent: Turquoise

It's possible that you're asking yourself at this point, 'but wait? Where does the magic itself come from? Why is it that people can only draw from certain gemstones based on their birthday?'

...it's also very possible that you haven't asked yourself that, but I certainly did, so I'm going to pretend like you did too. Using the power of GENIUS, we decided to make a series of moons, each only visible in the sky one month a year. It's unclear whether the moons reflect the months or if the months reflect the moons, mostly because we didn't think to figure that one out. When this moon is full, it recharges its corresponding gemstone, filling that gemstone up with magic and granting it the ability to be used by people. The moon's magic also grants anyone born under it to use that gemstone.

I added a couple random things here that could probably be useful for the sake of the RP: you can transfer power from one gemstone to another, a process people do on the full moons so that they gemstone they're tapping can be automatically recharged. We also added a relatively undeveloped idea that you can actually draw on magic from gemstones other than your own to enhance the abilities of your own gemstone, so as long as you're drawing power from your own gemstone while you do it.

So now you might be asking yourself, "so... what powers do these gemstones have? What do they do? Are they still the powers back in the OP?"

No, the gemstones do not, any longer, use the powers listed in the OP. They now use one of six powers, and use it either internally or externally. Here's a thing I made to help you visualize that (another spoiler box!):

Spoiler

FyreWheel.jpeg.3f8defa963caea4ce02175c9c76b6a3b.jpeg.33ca8c3751ffdc4939b32cc358688961.jpeg

It's pretty dang hard to read the gemstones in the center, so I'll just list them (going from Pearl clockwise to Emerald): Turquoise, Ruby, Peridot, Sapphire, Tourmaline, Topaz. If the gemstone is in the outer ring, then its powers are external. They affect things externally. If the gemstone is on the inner rings, then its powers are internal. They affect things internally. It doesn't take too high an IQ to figure that one out, I hope. You might've noticed that I haven't explained what the powers of the gemstones are; luckily for you, I'm going to do that right now.

Garnet and Ruby: Physicality (your pewter and tin)

Amethyst and Peridot: Mentality (your smarts and wisdoms)

Aquamarine and Sapphire: Emotions/Spirituality (your Jinora-ness)

Diamond and Tourmaline: Force (as in things like gravity, pushing, pulling, etc)

Emerald and Topaz: Energy (like heat and electricity)

Pearl and Turqouise: Matter (like... stuff)

Now, these might seem pretty darned vague, but that's the point! Your job is to choose one of those Ethea (that's what we're calling the six powers) and decide what magic you use with it. For example, if I were to use my actual birthday (in April, or the in-game equivalent), then my gemstone would be Diamond, which corresponds to External Force. I could do something like telekenesis, or creating force fields to protect me. If someone else were to choose August, then they would have Peridot, which is Internal Mentality. With this, you could probably be very mentally adept, with incredible willpower. The opportunities are (probably) endless!

Here's a few other things we considered but never really officialized:

• You can use a Magical Focus (staff, wand, jewelry, dagger, etc) to better direct your power. You would place your gemstone in this focus, and the focus would more efficiently use the magic in the gemstone to create better results.
    • There's a potential worldbuilding element here where you have to undergo some kind of trial, and must construct your own Magical Focus with the help of Ollivander somebody; kind of like the Padawan Initiation thing from Star Wars, if you know what I'm talking about.
    • There's also a potential worldbuilding element that you can unlock more powerful abilities with your focus, similar to advanced forms of Bending in Avatar. This gives even more opportunities, and could possibly work in tandem with the "enhancement" thing i was talking about, where using more powerful abilities requires the assistance of another gemstone.
  • Stellar Events might affect gemstone usage. If it's the moons that cause magic to exist in the first place, then stuff like eclipses or meteor showers might affect magic too.

So... there you go! Do you have any suggestions? Any ideas? Or is our combined genius just so awe-inspiring that you have to make a character right away?

...don't die!

~ Fadran

So, yeah!!! Let's get posting! Or suggesting! One thing I would like to hear from you guys: Do you want to be forced to use your birthday month/a random dice roll or do you want to pick your character's birth month?

@I Used To Be A Fish @Vapor @Condensation @Channelknight Fadran @Negative_Null @Danex @turtle @The_Truthwatcher @AonEne 

Edited by DramaQueen

3 minutes ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

GAH!

*Is annoyed that he's not an april birthday*

Happy to join! :D

Do the powers coincide with our character's birthdays or our irl birthdays?

Character. Diamond is not invincible, it merely lends strength. I'll probably weaken that.

14 minutes ago, Condensation said:

January could be the ability to impose their will on the world around them, the more plausible, the easier/longer it is.

For the most part, the first thing listed is the one I want to focus on the most, so in January's case, spirituality. Maybe the ability to converse with the god(s) of the realm? And slightly influence the gods' decisions to go along with their will?

24 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

July - You can use this to converse with one person fluently regardless of what language they speak.

August - Healing power (like not-fish said).

October - Some kind of shield, maybe?

@DramaQueen

I don't get why the July one would be that, I kind of expected it to have something with, like, romance...?

2 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

:D:wub::lol::ph34r:-_-

The progression of my emotions. The last one is me realizing that you probably aren't serious.

:D. Would you like me to take this magic system you've devised, spend a couple hours on it, and come back with a fully fleshed-out, in-depth, and unnecessarily complicated magic system?

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

10 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

:D. Would you like me to take this magic system you've devised, spend a couple hours on it, and come back with a fully fleshed-out, in-depth, and unnecessarily complicated magic system?

Actually...yes.

Maybe July could be being able to kind of see what relationships will work out, making them like...a mega-shipper. So backwards from your shipping suggestion.

Edited by DramaQueen

6 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

Actually...yes.

Maybe July could be being able to kind of see what relationships will work out, making them like...a mega-shipper. So backwards from your shipping suggestion.

Great! and huh.

Alright, now I just need... some paper, a pen, two hours, and a couple genius ideas.