BreezeCauthon

Best Cosmere Novella/Short story?

Best Cosmere novella/short story   26 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best novella/short story in the Cosmere?

• The Emperor's Soul
    • The Hope of Elantris
    • The Eleventh Metal
    • Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania, Episodes 28-30
    • Mistborn: Secret History
    • Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
    • Sixth of the Dusk
    • Edgedancer

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 posts in this topic

As requested, I have now made a poll for the best Cosmere novella/short story. I used the stuff in Arcanum Unbounded, excluding White Sand because as I understand it it is a graphic novel. LMK if I'm missing any.

It is Allomancer Jak.  All polls unnecessary.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

Coughs in Edgedanncer.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

This is indeed unnecessary, it's obviously Sixth of Dusk

5 minutes ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

This is indeed unnecessary, it's obviously Sixth of Dusk

that sure is a strange way to spell "The Emperor's Soul"

SECRET HISTORY!!!

IMG_20200507_162836.JPG.7546ddfe60e425caeb431bd385c60e17.jpeg.95c2d4258295ef9be4bd94e265267b66.jpeg

But Mistborn: Secret History and Sixth of the Dusk are tied for a close second

Emperors soul is amazing

but if we take non-cosmere into account, I’m not super sure it beats Defending Elysium.

Awww, Shadows for Silence deserves at least one vote. It's my second favorite after The Emperor's Soul.

The emperor's soul is the best followed by shadows for silence. That is of course a fact not an opinion but I understand why you meet be confused and think otherwise after all they are all quite good.

Emperor's Soul is on par with most of his big novels. Feels kinda bad to not give it to Shadows for Silence though, given how well-rounded, atmospheric and relatively under-appreciated that one is. It's Emperor's Soul either way.

The Emperor's Soul, as expected, is the runaway favorite.

I agree that Emperor's Soul is super solid and a great choice for top spot.  I think Shadows for Silence is grossly underrated however.  In many ways the writing style and tone are something totally different than anything in the Cosmere.  I think it gets underrated because of its color.  To me each of Sanderson's books/series has a "color" associated with it.  Emperor's Soul is sky blue with puffy white clouds.  Sixth of the Dusk is a water blue.  Stormlight Archive is highstorm gray.  Mistborn era 1 is the red of forged iron.  Era 2 is the brown of a dirt road.  Generally, these are colors of power or happiness.  Shadoes for Silence is a dark green, like the color of deep woods after a heavy rain.  In addition, Shadows conveys the feel of mourning for what was lost, where most other works are more future-looking.  I think the beauty of that novella is in the deep sense of sadness that pervades it, rather in a sweeping epic or desperate quest for freedom.  In a way this sense of sadness is shared  by Sixth of the Dusk, but that book ends with the characters looking forward to their next challenge and a sense that the world will progress.  Shadows ends with the main character going back to doing exactly what she was doing when the book started. 

I'm in the crowd that would put Shadows for Silence as second place.  and there seem to be quite a few of us.  makes me wonder if there is something specific about those 2 that causes that.