Best Cosmere Novella/Short story?

BreezeCauthon

Best Cosmere novella/short story  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best novella/short story in the Cosmere?

• The Emperor's Soul
    • The Hope of Elantris
    • The Eleventh Metal
    • Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania, Episodes 28-30
    • Mistborn: Secret History
    • Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell
    • Sixth of the Dusk
    • Edgedancer

I agree that Emperor's Soul is super solid and a great choice for top spot.  I think Shadows for Silence is grossly underrated however.  In many ways the writing style and tone are something totally different than anything in the Cosmere.  I think it gets underrated because of its color.  To me each of Sanderson's books/series has a "color" associated with it.  Emperor's Soul is sky blue with puffy white clouds.  Sixth of the Dusk is a water blue.  Stormlight Archive is highstorm gray.  Mistborn era 1 is the red of forged iron.  Era 2 is the brown of a dirt road.  Generally, these are colors of power or happiness.  Shadoes for Silence is a dark green, like the color of deep woods after a heavy rain.  In addition, Shadows conveys the feel of mourning for what was lost, where most other works are more future-looking.  I think the beauty of that novella is in the deep sense of sadness that pervades it, rather in a sweeping epic or desperate quest for freedom.  In a way this sense of sadness is shared  by Sixth of the Dusk, but that book ends with the characters looking forward to their next challenge and a sense that the world will progress.  Shadows ends with the main character going back to doing exactly what she was doing when the book started. 

Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell.

finally a female main character that is not pretty. shes one of Brandons best characters I would say.

I also like the setting since it puts the main characters in actual danger. no crem dung, no annoying plot armor.