What's the point of Dur-aluminum Bendalloy?

Frustration

I don't think the necessarily have to have a very useful use when combined together. It has a use by itself but that doesn't mean that combining with Duraluminium is going to mean it it's particularly useful.

Bendalloy has it's own allomantic effect that is independent of how well it works with Duraluminium and same with all the other metals even if they do have amazing effects when combined with Duraluminium.

EDIT: I don't think you would even get super old the metal would be used up in an instant like with all other uses of Duraluminium and after that the bubble would collapse, you wouldn't be in the bubble long enough for you to age. And that instant that you spent in the bubble would be a minuscule amount of time for everybody else, so while I don't think you would age it still doesn't have that much of a use. 

Edited by Darkfinder

Those metals used at the same time would likely allow you to experience several minutes or hours in a few seconds, and with mechanical allomancy a machine could do it without you having to experience it. Depending on how the flow of energy across a bubble works, it might be possible to:

• grow plants quickly to feed a population
  • decrease the time it takes for a basic vacuum tube computer (or any computer) to complete its computation - so "speeding up" its clock
  • get a good nights sleep in the span of a few minutes when pressed for time
  • allow a craftsman to complete a complex work when their is a limited window of time to get it done

And, of course, as @Darkfinder notes, just because an interaction can exist doesn't mean it has to be useful, but rather an inevitable possible combination.

I don't think it will allow for several hours in an instant because Duraluminium is burned away (along with the other metal) in a flash. As I stated above I just think you're going to have an instant in the speed bubble before the Duraluminium runs out while outside the speed bubble even less time would have passed.

Out of the external temporal metals Cadmium is probably the one that has a use with Duraluminium as it would allow an instant to pass in the bubble but a much larger amount of time to pass outside the bubble.

I'm basing this off of the fact that every time Vin uses Duraluminium it and the other metal is burned away in a flash to produce a massive burst of power similar In my opinon to flaring the metal. It doesn't make the effect go on for any longer the effect is probably shorter. 

8 minutes ago, Darkfinder said:

I don't think it will allow for several hours in an instant because Duraluminium is burned away (along with the other metal) in a flash. As I stated above I just think you're going to have an instant in the speed bubble before the Duraluminium runs out while outside the speed bubble even less time would have passed.

Out of the external temporal metals Cadmium is probably the one that has a use with Duraluminium as it would allow an instant to pass in the bubble but a much larger amount of time to pass outside the bubble.

I'm basing this off of the fact that every time Vin uses Duraluminium it and the other metal is burned away in a flash to produce a massive burst of power similar In my opinon to flaring the metal. It doesn't make the effect go on for any longer the effect is probably shorter. 

True, it is burned away in a flash, but a flash from whose perspective? If I remember correctly Wayne was able to squeeze a few extra seconds into a bubble once by flaring the metal. All the metal burnt away in a flash from the burner's perspective means all the time compression that metal would normally have provided is given in a single moment.

Just now, Ixthos said:

True, it is burned away in a flash, but a flash from whose perspective? If I remember correctly Wayne was able to squeeze a few extra seconds into a bubble once by flaring the metal. All the metal burnt away in a flash from the burner's perspective means all the time compression that metal would normally have provided is given in a single moment.

I would say a flash from the burners perspective.

Which would mean all their compression in a single moment, so a single moment that lasts a fraction of a second outside the speed bubble.

That's just what I think would happen though.

2 hours ago, StanLemon said:

A point of clarification, Duralumin does NOT burn away in a flash. There is a line from Vin in WoA where she thinks to herself that she still has Duralumin in her system after using it

I suppose that's true. But what if you burn duralumin... And then burn duralumin?

4 hours ago, StanLemon said:

A point of clarification, Duralumin does NOT burn away in a flash. There is a line from Vin in WoA where she thinks to herself that she still has Duralumin in her system after using it

1 hour ago, robardin said:

I suppose that's true. But what if you burn duralumin... And then burn duralumin?

"She struggled in vain. She had duralumin still—burning it only made other metals vanish, not the duralumin itself—but last time that had nearly gotten her killed. If she didn’t take the Thug down quickly, she’d be left without pewter once again."

I imagine it is also an interesting question what Duralumin flare does.
And what happens if a Nicroburst touches a Duralumin Gnat or if two Nicroburst touch each other.

23 minutes ago, Darkfinder said:

It still burns the Bendalloy away in a flash even if the Duraluminium doesn't get burned away.

Which is why I said clarification. I don't think that Duralumin and Bendalloy would work together all that well either. Normal Bendalloy flairs seem plenty good to me already as they are able to speed time enough to see bullets in the air, give time to make a plan during an explosion which is impressive because of just how fast explosions happen.