Shardplate Aesthetics

Halyo_Alex

So, I've been wondering, just how much control would a Radiant have over their "living" set of Shardplate? The properly glowy, dismissable/summonable kind of plate we see in the Visions, of course.

As a Lightweaver, I would totally want to be able to have my plate be sleek and form-fitting simply so that I could wear real clothes on top and still look nice, without having to give up the defensive and enhancing qualities of Plate. It would also be great for deception; you'd think I have the strength and speed of a normal person, until I actually start trying to make use of the plate's enhancements.

Also; capes. I imagine there are good points on plate to attach a cape (we see the highprinces in the warcamps doing that, right?), but if I was a Radiant who could dismiss my plate, I'd want to be able to wear the cape and summon Plate over it without concealing it, y'know? Would I have to leave a gap in the back which would end up being a weak-point? I think until we get more info on that specifically the answer is either "no capes" or yes, you would need to make some sort of opening for it which could be exploited, especially because that would be right over the spine. Instakill if someone can fit a shardblade in there.

Since dead Plate can reshape itself to fit a new wearer I'm pretty sure that a Radiant can either exercise some conscious control over their plate or it naturally forms along whatever aesthetic lines its user prefers, within reason. So if you wanted more slender plate it would probably be possible, though I'm not sure if that would include something as specific as leaving a gap so you can wear a cape under the armor and have it billow dramatically behind you once you've summoned it.

Edited by Weltall

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

Since dead Plate can reshape itself to fit a new wearer I'm pretty sure that a Radiant can either exercise some conscious control over their plate or it naturally forms along whatever aesthetic lines its user prefers, within reason. So if you wanted more slender plate it would probably be possible, though I'm not sure if that would include something as specific as leaving a gap so you can wear a cape under the armor and have it billow dramatically behind you once you've summoned it.

Yeah, that's roughly what I'm expecting.

Since dead Plate can reshape itself to fit a new wearer I'm pretty sure that a Radiant can either exercise some conscious control over their plate or it naturally forms along whatever aesthetic lines its user prefers, within reason.

This would also allow what we may have chalked up to artistic licence in regards to Plate until now to be somewhat more canon, in that no one form of plate is the 'true' representation of it, each Knight was able to form their plate in a different way that was more suited for their goals. Though it was likely that, during the height of the Knights Radiant, there was a very distinct view of what Plate was and wasn't, whereas our new Radiants may not have to follow these same conventions about it.
Kaladin with form-fitting, aerodynamic flight suit for Plate would be awesome,

9 hours ago, Realmatic Shadow said:

Kaladin with form-fitting, aerodynamic flight suit for Plate would be awesome,

Imagine Windrunners making a large apple-cutter looking thing out of Plate with the cutters on the bottom made from the Blade and then Lashing it downward a bunch of times in Roshar's first kinetic bombardment.

18 minutes ago, Kings_way said:

sort of on this topic, could you make armor out of a shardblade? I know you would need a lot of them, but If you did It would be better than shardplate because I don't think Shardblades break.

I believe Kaladin made a shield once. But a suit of armor made of Blades wouldn't provide the same boosting of strength and endurance that Plate does.

51 minutes ago, Kings_way said:

sort of on this topic, could you make armor out of a shardblade? I know you would need a lot of them, but If you did It would be better than shardplate because I don't think Shardblades break.

You'd need so many spren working together to create a 'Sprenbladeplate' that it would be completely impractical, since a spren has to be a single piece. We're talking close to twenty just to cover one hand if you want to have full freedom of movement. Now extend that to the rest of the body. Now consider that only one of those spren is actually bonded to the person. Not only do you have to persuade a huge number of spren (and their Radiant partners) to form armor components but you can't gain the benefits of the telepathic bond because most of the spren are bonded to other people. People who are basically giving up their spren to someone else for however long the armor is manifested.

Also, all that massively Invested metal that's not keyed to your Identity means you aren't Surgebinding through it, and it's not providing all the secondary effects of Shardplate so it's probably impractically heavy as well.

11 hours ago, Weltall said:

You'd need so many spren working together to create a 'Sprenbladeplate' that it would be completely impractical, since a spren has to be a single piece. We're talking close to twenty just to cover one hand if you want to have full freedom of movement. Now extend that to the rest of the body. Now consider that only one of those spren is actually bonded to the person. Not only do you have to persuade a huge number of spren (and their Radiant partners) to form armor components but you can't gain the benefits of the telepathic bond because most of the spren are bonded to other people. People who are basically giving up their spren to someone else for however long the armor is manifested.

Also, all that massively Invested metal that's not keyed to your Identity means you aren't Surgebinding through it, and it's not providing all the secondary effects of Shardplate so it's probably impractically heavy as well.

Put the sprenbladeplate over regular shardplate. weight problem solved, lol :D

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
On 9/16/2020 at 0:58 PM, Weltall said:

Now consider that only one of those spren is actually bonded to the person

Brandon has said several times that I person can bond several spren so that point is rendered useless

13 hours ago, Somebody from Roshar said:

Brandon has said several times that I person can bond several spren so that point is rendered useless

Except that he's said it is very hard to bond more than one, there's a hard limit on how far that can get you and you would need several dozen just to create enough pieces to cover one limb much less the entire body, so no the point is not moot.