Where is Szeth being utilized?

I Am A Fish

Ok,

I'm about to go on a massive tirade, so try to stay with me. As I've re-read the new chapters something has come to my attention. There hasn't been a single mention of Szeth and Nightblood.

*Tirade incoming*

WHY WOULD THEY NOT UTILIZE SZETH. THIS MAN CAN PERMANENTLY KILL FUSED. HE IS PERFECTLY ADEPT IN THE AIR. IF YOU ARE GOING ON A MISSION IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO BRING THE ONE AND ONLY BONDSMITH, YOU SHOULD BRING THE ONE MAN WHO CAN PERMANENTLY KILL FUSED TOO.

*Tirade over*

The basis of my unfathomable rage is this.

People don't like idea of dying, and they're accustomed to the idea that they eventually will.

The fused are most certainly not accustomed to that idea. They would be TERRIFIED of Szeth. Making them WAY more cautious. There is no reason why he wouldn't be put into play. Szeth would be a very effective Fused deterrent, and I'm really annoyed that he wasn't utilized on the raid, on Hearthstone. So why? Why would they not use him? Any ideas why this glaring tactical blunder occurred? 

He's currently guarding the inside of a prison cell. No one trusts him. Fighting alongside one that you don't trust is a liability in battle not an asset. He may have the ability to end the Fused, but if the entire command is constantly looking over their shoulders then the war effort will be hindered. Without trust the entire ability to wage war is in jeopardy.

2 hours ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

Ok,

I'm about to go on a massive tirade, so try to stay with me. As I've re-read the new chapters something has come to my attention. There hasn't been a single mention of Szeth and Nightblood.

*Tirade incoming*

WHY WOULD THEY NOT UTILIZE SZETH. THIS MAN CAN PERMANENTLY KILL FUSED. HE IS PERFECTLY ADEPT IN THE AIR. IF YOU ARE GOING ON A MISSION IMPORTANT ENOUGH TO BRING THE ONE AND ONLY BONDSMITH, YOU SHOULD BRING THE ONE MAN WHO CAN PERMANENTLY KILL FUSED TOO.

*Tirade over*

The basis of my unfathomable rage is this.

People don't like idea of dying, and they're accustomed to the idea that they eventually will.

The fused are most certainly not accustomed to that idea. They would be TERRIFIED of Szeth. Making them WAY more cautious. There is no reason why he wouldn't be put into play. Szeth would be a very effective Fused deterrent, and I'm really annoyed that he wasn't utilized on the raid, on Hearthstone. So why? Why would they not use him? Any ideas why this glaring tactical blunder occurred? 

Several reasons:

Story Based Reasons:

1) Szeth is still the Assasin in White, the most notorious and dangerous criminal on Roshar.  No one likes him and no one trusts him.  Think of our major characters.

Kaladin - Fought and semi-killed Szeth, protecting his commanding officer.  Would be very slow to trust the man who tried to kill the one Lighteyes he truly respects.

Shallan - Doesn't really seem inclined to care much about Szeth and unlikely to have any reason to want to work with him.  Probably knew about the Assassin in White who was responsible for sparking a terrible civil war in her homeland.  I doubt she has much love for him.

Dalinar - Was nearly killed by Szeth on multiple occasions.  Szeth did kill his brother.  Because he wants to Unite people and because Szeth has pledged his loyalty directly, he seems willing to give him a chance.  But he has other pressures on him that are more important than trying to rehabilitate the image of a mass murderer who is not overly powerful or important to his fighting force.

2) Even if there is a close group of Radiants who have gotten to know Szeth in the last year and do trust him, the vast majority of political leaders are going to be even more prone to distrust him.  This is probably why Dalinar put him in jail - Szeth was going around assassinating specifically people in power.  Even if Dalinar himself has absolutely no doubts in Szeth (seems unlikely), all the other rulers will be adamantly opposed to Szeth being given any trust.  Allowing Szeth to go free could break the alliance of nations.

3) No one (other than possibly Zahel/Vasher) knows that Nightblood can kill the Fused permanently.

4) There is no possible way for anyone on Team Radiant, including Szeth, to figure out that Nightblood can kill the Fused permanently.

Meta Reasons:

1) Using Nightblood, a character/object that originated in another series, as a key factor in the ability to win in Stormlight Archive just seems really lame.  None of the Knights Radiant can win their own battles?  They need people to come in from the outside? Super lame.

2) Though he's always willing to humor his fans and talk about what if scenarios, I know Sanderson understands that all these ideas about how Nightblood could defeat all possible enemies in all situations are not practical for the story.  If Nightblood could always defeat all possible enemies, what's the point of the story?  Why have Mistborn, Stormlight Archive, or other future series if the solution to every problem is to have Nightblood come in and destroy all evil?  Just call it the Nightblood series, have one book where Hoid wields Nightblood and defeats all enemies, destroying all Shards, and ending by dying to Nightblood himself.

3) In general, I believe that Sanderson has said the Warbreaker characters are intended to be more like Easter Eggs, not playing key roles in the overall plot.

Personal Reasons:

1) Fan speculation about Nightblood has pretty much made me hate him/it.  Please let him drop into a black hole so we don't have to hear about how every possible problem can be solved and all possible enemies (or friends) could be easily defeated by Nightblood.

1 hour ago, agrabes said:

4) There is no possible way for anyone on Team Radiant, including Szeth, to figure out that Nightblood can kill the Fused permanently.

Yeah, that's an excellent point.

Has there been any indication in-story that Nightblood would kill the Fused any more effectively than a normal Shardblade? Why would the characters think it would?

For them, it just seems like a weirdly strong shardblade. It can kill you just with a small nick so it's a bit easier to kill with than a regular blade, but on the other hand if you lose the sheath somehow you yourself get eaten. Szeth almost died last time he used it. Seems like something to save for emergencies, not a routine weapon.

1) Using Nightblood, a character/object that originated in another series, as a key factor in the ability to win in Stormlight Archive just seems really lame.  None of the Knights Radiant can win their own battles?  They need people to come in from the outside? Super lame.

This particular reason I'd disagree with though. It's the other way around - Warbreaker is the prequel for these characters, written because Sanderson knew that these characters would figure in the Stormlight Archive. So I definitely expect the Warbreaker Trio (Vasher, Vivenna, Nightblood) to have some important role to play in SA (otherwise they wouldn't have been relevant enough to write a prequel for!)

But I definitely expect them to get their own introduction in Stormlight. I think it's a good bet that Nightblood's gonna be pretty important in Book 5 since that book will have a bunch more Szeth in it - but it'll be introduced well enough so that people who *only* read Stormlight learn what Nightblood is and where it came from. I'm also guessing that Vasher's Returned-ness is going to be important (but given how he still hasn't been given much of a buildup yet, I'd expect that to be in the back 5 books and not in the first five.)

2) Though he's always willing to humor his fans and talk about what if scenarios, I know Sanderson understands that all these ideas about how Nightblood could defeat all possible enemies in all situations are not practical for the story.  If Nightblood could always defeat all possible enemies, what's the point of the story?  Why have Mistborn, Stormlight Archive, or other future series if the solution to every problem is to have Nightblood come in and destroy all evil?  Just call it the Nightblood series, have one book where Hoid wields Nightblood and defeats all enemies, destroying all Shards, and ending by dying to Nightblood himself.

Because weilding Nightblood effectively isn't easy, and it's pretty risky. In Warbreaker, Vasher used Nightblood as best he could, and it's not like Nightblood trivialized that plot. ...in fact, getting Vasher to draw Nighblood was a pretty key point of DENTH'S plan to drain Vasher of Breaths. "Use Nighblood" isn't an instant win button no matter how powerful that sword is, because once it's drawn it's basically just as dangerous for the weilder as it is for their enemies. Heck, even in Stormlight, the Fused nearly killed Szeth just by stealing Nighblood's sheath and keeping it away from Szeth until Szeth died of lack of Stormlight. Only Dalinar's perpendicularity saved him, if I remember right? I could be misremembering the details.

10 hours ago, Karger said:

Also using Nightblood is super risky in combat and if he looses the weapon who knows what the fused will do with it? 

That's like not using your queen in chess because your worried it will be taken. 

Most of these are very valid points...

I find it very annoying. :P

32 minutes ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

That's like not using your queen in chess because your worried it will be taken. 

Is often a valid strategy.  You should not employ your queen simply because you believe it can do some damage but to secure specific goals.  Also no piece on the chessboard is truly secure anyway.  Nightblood can probably be kept under reasonable security in Urithiru.

59 minutes ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

But wouldn't Nightblood consider the Fused, or Parshmen evil? I'm well aware that he has a poor grasp of the construct, but what Nightblood defines as evil seems to be close to what the Fused, and Odium's army are doing. 

He will destroy them if used.  I am also sure that at least a few of them would be able to resist his effects.

Just now, Karger said:

Actually no but we know they have soulcasters.

So the basis of your argument is that you shouldn't use Nightblood because the risk of him falling into enemy hands? So long as he was kept on an open battlefield, with the singularity it would be very hard to kill Szeth. Plus so long as other Radiants accompanied him he would have people to take up Nightblood if he fell.

9 minutes ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

So the basis of your argument is that you shouldn't use Nightblood because the risk of him falling into enemy hands? So long as he was kept on an open battlefield, with the singularity it would be very hard to kill Szeth. Plus so long as other Radiants accompanied him he would have people to take up Nightblood if he fell.

1. You should not risk Nightblood for no reason
  2. They have no way of knowing Nightblood is any more valuable then any other shardblade
  3. It is super hard to use.  If kept out too long it could collapse Dalinar's perpendicularity.

8 hours ago, ftl said:

Yeah, that's an excellent point.

Has there been any indication in-story that Nightblood would kill the Fused any more effectively than a normal Shardblade? Why would the characters think it would?

For them, it just seems like a weirdly strong shardblade. It can kill you just with a small nick so it's a bit easier to kill with than a regular blade, but on the other hand if you lose the sheath somehow you yourself get eaten. Szeth almost died last time he used it. Seems like something to save for emergencies, not a routine weapon.

This particular reason I'd disagree with though. It's the other way around - Warbreaker is the prequel for these characters, written because Sanderson knew that these characters would figure in the Stormlight Archive. So I definitely expect the Warbreaker Trio (Vasher, Vivenna, Nightblood) to have some important role to play in SA (otherwise they wouldn't have been relevant enough to write a prequel for!)

But I definitely expect them to get their own introduction in Stormlight. I think it's a good bet that Nightblood's gonna be pretty important in Book 5 since that book will have a bunch more Szeth in it - but it'll be introduced well enough so that people who *only* read Stormlight learn what Nightblood is and where it came from. I'm also guessing that Vasher's Returned-ness is going to be important (but given how he still hasn't been given much of a buildup yet, I'd expect that to be in the back 5 books and not in the first five.)

Because weilding Nightblood effectively isn't easy, and it's pretty risky. In Warbreaker, Vasher used Nightblood as best he could, and it's not like Nightblood trivialized that plot. ...in fact, getting Vasher to draw Nighblood was a pretty key point of DENTH'S plan to drain Vasher of Breaths. "Use Nighblood" isn't an instant win button no matter how powerful that sword is, because once it's drawn it's basically just as dangerous for the weilder as it is for their enemies. Heck, even in Stormlight, the Fused nearly killed Szeth just by stealing Nighblood's sheath and keeping it away from Szeth until Szeth died of lack of Stormlight. Only Dalinar's perpendicularity saved him, if I remember right? I could be misremembering the details.

Diving into some past interviews, I see Sanderson did write Warbreaker as a way to explore the Vasher character he wrote for WoK Prime.  I feel like things have changed a lot from then.  Vasher's role in the published Stormlight Archive is different from what it was in WoK Prime.  And having the Warbreaker characters too heavily involved in SA still violates what Sanderson has said in a lot of other interviews - that this isn't all about an Avengers Assemble moment where everyone from all the stories somehow get together.  It's telling a story of how the various worlds of the cosmere eventually contact each other and how each world progresses along the way.  I feel like for it to feel satisfying, if the people of Roshar are going to discover things like Worldhopping, it has to be their own discovery.  Having Vasher or Azure waltzing in and telling them about it just takes away their agency as characters.

Using Nightblood is not necessarily an instant win, but it has the capability of being one.  Yes, he is dangerous to the wielder.  But he is much more dangerous to the enemy.  And if (like some fans speculate) even a shard like Odium could be killed with one cut from Nightblade, it's just much too powerful.  There is no limit that can be placed on the sword that can make the power seem reasonable.

I don't think that Vasher, Azure, or Nightblood will play major roles in SA4 or SA5.  They'll continue to be minor, supporting characters.  I have a feeling they will all leave Roshar without getting majorly involved.  Azure already made it clear that's her plan, so has Vasher.  Maybe in the back 5, but even then I don't think so.  I think the most likely thing to happen is that Azure will find Nightblood and take him away, possibly while Szeth is in prison.  Szeth will then use his own actual shardblade once he's released.

3 hours ago, agrabes said:

Diving into some past interviews, I see Sanderson did write Warbreaker as a way to explore the Vasher character he wrote for WoK Prime.  I feel like things have changed a lot from then.  Vasher's role in the published Stormlight Archive is different from what it was in WoK Prime.  And having the Warbreaker characters too heavily involved in SA still violates what Sanderson has said in a lot of other interviews - that this isn't all about an Avengers Assemble moment where everyone from all the stories somehow get together.  It's telling a story of how the various worlds of the cosmere eventually contact each other and how each world progresses along the way.  I feel like for it to feel satisfying, if the people of Roshar are going to discover things like Worldhopping, it has to be their own discovery.  Having Vasher or Azure waltzing in and telling them about it just takes away their agency as characters.

Using Nightblood is not necessarily an instant win, but it has the capability of being one.  Yes, he is dangerous to the wielder.  But he is much more dangerous to the enemy.  And if (like some fans speculate) even a shard like Odium could be killed with one cut from Nightblade, it's just much too powerful.  There is no limit that can be placed on the sword that can make the power seem reasonable.

I don't think that Vasher, Azure, or Nightblood will play major roles in SA4 or SA5.  They'll continue to be minor, supporting characters.  I have a feeling they will all leave Roshar without getting majorly involved.  Azure already made it clear that's her plan, so has Vasher.  Maybe in the back 5, but even then I don't think so.  I think the most likely thing to happen is that Azure will find Nightblood and take him away, possibly while Szeth is in prison.  Szeth will then use his own actual shardblade once he's released.

So you don't think it's lame to show a hyper powerful -but-dangerous-to-the-weilder sword being given to the most mysterious main character of the series and show its cool powers in a battle only to have it taken away by some Azure character who will probably do nothing with it and take it away somewhere. 

I mean freakin Nale gave Szeth that sword. There's got to be something major that Szeth will do with it, from a narrative point of view. 

Also , that point about every problem being solved with Nightblood is a childish one- That's essentially the same as saying that Odium could simply kill off Dalinar by appearing in front of him with his 'full form', so to speak, and similarly kill the other radiants too. But he can't do that, because we know there are restrictions. In the same way, even though Nightbool is overpowered, it does have some very grave restrictions on its use. This series is filled with extremely powerful characters; that doesn't mean they'll be sidelined.

1 hour ago, Szeth_lz said:

So you don't think it's lame to show a hyper powerful -but-dangerous-to-the-weilder sword being given to the most mysterious main character of the series and show its cool powers in a battle only to have it taken away by some Azure character who will probably do nothing with it and take it away somewhere. 

I mean freakin Nale gave Szeth that sword. There's got to be something major that Szeth will do with it, from a narrative point of view. 

Also , that point about every problem being solved with Nightblood is a childish one- That's essentially the same as saying that Odium could simply kill off Dalinar by appearing in front of him with his 'full form', so to speak, and similarly kill the other radiants too. But he can't do that, because we know there are restrictions. In the same way, even though Nightbool is overpowered, it does have some very grave restrictions on its use. This series is filled with extremely powerful characters; that doesn't mean they'll be sidelined.

No, I don't think it's lame to remove Nightblood from the story of Stormlight Archive.  

1) If you are a reader of Stormlight Archive only, you do not know or have reason to suspect that Nightblood is any more powerful than a normal shardblade.  Different, but not more powerful.  So, as a reader of SA, you do not know that Nightblood is hyper powerful.

2) Nightblood has never been promised to be some kind of amazing, war winning weapon for Stormlight Archive.  Nale gave the sword to Szeth because he didn't trust himself or the other Skybreakers to keep it anymore.  He felt Szeth was a good enough person to choose not to use it.

Having Azure take the sword would be a good wrap up of the Warbreaker Easter Egg plot.  Vasher and Azure can meet again on their own adventure to recover Nightblood.  They complete their mission and say their farewells.  Maybe Azure leaves with the sword and Vasher stays.  The Warbreaker characters stick to their own Warbreaker plot, which only briefly interacts with the Stormlight Archive plot.  This would feel right and natural.

The series is filled with extremely powerful characters, but those powers are always relative to their situation.  Odium is extremely powerful and indeed could have killed Dalinar on page 1 of WoK.  But he didn't, because Odium is playing a different game.  Odium is essentially an evil god.  He should be overwhelmingly powerful.  But through good writing, Sanderson has put in place good reasons why Odium doesn't just kill Dalinar.  Contrast that with Nightblood - in theory (especially if you believe certain fans) Nightblood can kill all enemies no matter how powerful with a single cut.  Put Nightblood in the hands of a Windrunner or Skybreaker trained in swordfighting and you could eliminate all powerful enemies in one single mission.  Sure, you would have to sacrifice one Radiant to do it.  But the cost is much lower than the reward.  Right now, the story reason why they don't do this is because they don't know Nightblood's capabilities.  Which is also fine.  If Nightblood is used like a worse version of a shardblade throughout the Stormlight Archive then I have no problem with it (aside from the annoying sense of humor it has).  It could be a great irony - only after the final battle they learn how powerful the sword was.  But if Nightblood suddenly becomes the solution to every problem, that is crappy storytelling.

@Karger and @I Used To Be A Fish, the fused do have access to aluminum. They line their spears with it.

1) If you are a reader of Stormlight Archive only, you do not know or have reason to suspect that Nightblood is any more powerful than a normal shardblade.  Different, but not more powerful.  So, as a reader of SA, you do not know that Nightblood is hyper powerful.

I mean, considering that Szeth completely vaporized an entire thunderclast, I think you would know that Nightblood is hype-powerful. In fact, I know that you would know that Nightblood is stronger than a normal shardblade, because I read OB before Warbreaker, and I knew Nightblood was awesome. I mean, compare his feats in Warbreaker to those in Stormlight, and what do you get?

2) Nightblood has never been promised to be some kind of amazing, war winning weapon for Stormlight Archive.  Nale gave the sword to Szeth because he didn't trust himself or the other Skybreakers to keep it anymore.  He felt Szeth was a good enough person to choose not to use it.

I don't think it will be. I think Nightblood will be a very useful weapon, potentially a game-changing one, but there are thousands of fused, and Szeth struggled to kill them even during OB, which was before the best of the fused awakened.

Having Azure take the sword would be a good wrap up of the Warbreaker Easter Egg plot.  Vasher and Azure can meet again on their own adventure to recover Nightblood.  They complete their mission and say their farewells.  Maybe Azure leaves with the sword and Vasher stays.  The Warbreaker characters stick to their own Warbreaker plot, which only briefly interacts with the Stormlight Archive plot.  This would feel right and natural.

First off, Azure is chasing Vasher, not meeting with him. I also don't think that Szeth is simply going to give Nightblood away. As for Azure stealing Nightblood, I could see that happening in book five maybe, with Szeth being injured and Azure taking Nightblood, reflecting on how he might have saved them, but I could also see her realizing that this war is a place that Nightblood can do more good than harm. As for the Warbreaker characters staying as an Easter egg plot, Brandon has said that back half of Stormlight is going to start bringing the Cosmere characters together, and the Nightblood/Vasher/Azure plot could very well stay an easter egg until then, with Nightblood being used strategically thoughout books four and five, and then later, in the peace in between series, they try to discover more about Nightblood's past.

The series is filled with extremely powerful characters, but those powers are always relative to their situation.  Odium is extremely powerful and indeed could have killed Dalinar on page 1 of WoK.  But he didn't, because Odium is playing a different game.  Odium is essentially an evil god.  He should be overwhelmingly powerful.  But through good writing, Sanderson has put in place good reasons why Odium doesn't just kill Dalinar.  Contrast that with Nightblood - in theory (especially if you believe certain fans) Nightblood can kill all enemies no matter how powerful with a single cut.  Put Nightblood in the hands of a Windrunner or Skybreaker trained in swordfighting and you could eliminate all powerful enemies in one single mission.  Sure, you would have to sacrifice one Radiant to do it.  But the cost is much lower than the reward.  Right now, the story reason why they don't do this is because they don't know Nightblood's capabilities.  Which is also fine.  If Nightblood is used like a worse version of a shardblade throughout the Stormlight Archive then I have no problem with it (aside from the annoying sense of humor it has).  It could be a great irony - only after the final battle they learn how powerful the sword was.  But if Nightblood suddenly becomes the solution to every problem, that is crappy storytelling.

Again, aluminum can at counter Nightblood somewhat, and the fused are very skilled. Maybe Nightblood could kill an unmade. That's a big maybe, and I would think that he most likely could not. That leaves him as an effective anti-fused tool, that has a lot of limitations. Not a delete-Odium weapon of mass destruction. A weapon on par with the dawnshards, whatever they are, or a Bondsmith.

Edited by Nameless

7 minutes ago, Nameless said:

@Karger and @I Used To Be A Fish, the fuse do have access to aluminum. They line their spears with it.

We think.  It would be nice to have this confirmed.

7 minutes ago, Nameless said:

First off, Azure is chasing Vasher, not meeting with him

I seriously doubt that.  She identifies Vasher as an old friend but says she was looking for a criminal.

9 hours ago, agrabes said:

Using Nightblood is not necessarily an instant win, but it has the capability of being one

Exactly.  Used strategically NB has the capacity to do a lot of damage.  The master tactician does not waste motion.  He doe not deploy resources in access of his needs nor does he take action without reason.  If team radiant wishes to risk an irreplaceable asset they will do so on a critical battlefield at the right time.  Imagine Dalinar having a great Odium ambush opportunity during SA5 but can't follow through because he lost Nightblood during RoW at the battle of 10,000 surgebinders.  Sure it might have been a good idea at the time but right now he can't take advantage of a perfect opportunity.

Edited by Karger