Paint on shardblade?

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

So we know that shardplate can be painted but can shardblades? And also are different colored "alive" Spren shardblades possible?

Edited by Somebody from Roshar
Dumb autocorrect

2 hours ago, Lunamor said:

So as for the paint, I’m pretty sure it’s possible, as adding a gemstone ornamentation to one was how they found out they could summon and dismiss them in the first place.

Before they added the gem stones, the blades could not be dismissed. Hence the question whether the ornament would stay on the blade when it was dismissed was moot. If it physically stuck to it, decoration was possible. You cannot use what can be done to a permanent blade to decide what can be done to a dismissable blade.

Blades will always appear in pristine condition, even if you used it to mess around in the gunky interior of a dead chasmfiend before you dismissed it. So, well, yes you can put paint on a blade, yet when you dismiss the blade, the paint will stay behind. Gem stones are special.

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Blades will always appear in pristine condition, even if you used it to mess around in the gunky interior of a dead chasmfiend before you dismissed it. So, well, yes you can put paint on a blade, yet when you dismiss the blade, the paint will stay behind. Gem stones are special.

This is what I would have said, as well.

It also made me think about the painted Shardplate, which shatters after enough blows, where the missing panels later have to be "regrown" from the largest remaining piece by "feeding it Stormlight". (This was described by Dalinar in TWoK when thinking about pieces of his Plate he left behind at the plateau for the Parshendi to pick up - as long as he got away with "most" of the Plate, his armorers would "win" the entire suit and the Parshendi remnant would fall apart.)

So I assume that means painting Shardplate is something that is done each time it is regrown back to a full suit, as what "grows back" would not be painted either.

And really, I find the mechanism for "dead Shardplate" even more interesting now that we know what "dead Shardblades" have as their basis since the end of WoR. If a Radiant only gets Plate at the Fourth Ideal, shouldn't the "dead Shardplate" be somehow linked or matched up with a specific dead Shardblade, the one that's the spren for whose bond the Plate extended from?

Thank you for your replies and @Oltux72 saying gemstones are special seems slightly dismissive and as Brandon has given a yes but RAFO on summoning dead shardplate makes me be more on the side of paint is possible and the whole "the blades adapted to the gemstones" makes me think that they would gain the qualities of paint but I appreciate your opinion

19 minutes ago, Somebody from Roshar said:

Thank you for your replies and @Oltux72 saying gemstones are special seems slightly dismissive

Sorry. Yet gems are special on Roshar

• enable soulcasting
  • the only material you cannot make by Soulcasting (you can make even aluminium)
  • can hold Stormlight potentially perfectly

The idea that you can draw conclusion for other materials from gem stones is daring.

There's been a few WoBs about this actually

Liar_of_partinel

Are shardblades uniform metal, or do they have different colors on the handle/hilt or whatever? Could you paint a shardblade and have it retain the paint when disappearing/reappearing?

Brandon Sanderson

A Blade won't retain ornaments when dismissed, I'm afraid, including coloration. HOWEVER, they could be made to change colors when alive, and even their texture. So many Blades in the world have multiple tones, and the grip tends to be of a different texture. They're uniform metal, but don't always feel/look like it.

General Reddit 2020 (June 30, 2020)

Questioner

So, I noticed in the books that they like to paint their Shardplate, most of them do, with one notable exception. The Shardplate isn't dismissed, so I imagine, when it's broken, they have to repaint it after they've regrown it?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Questioner

So, if I painted a Shardblade and then dismissed it, would I have used paint in the shape of a Shard to sell?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh-- it would come back without the paint.

Questioner

So, the paint would go away with it, but not come back?

Brandon Sanderson

I've never been asked this before, let me think about it. I think the paint would get left behind.

Questioner

So I would have used paint in the shape of a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, you would, yeah.

Questioner

So, you could mold a Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

You could mold a Shard, yeah, you could totally do that. Yeah... I haven't been asked that before but that's my answer right now, because-- yeah.

Questioner

If the books contradict then the books contradict.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah but I don't think they will. So yeah, you can-- I mean, it could come up.

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

7 minutes ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

There's been a few WoBs about this actually

Thanks that was what I was assuming coming into it some of the points a raised above about the blades adapting to the paint have been some theorizing we've done but thanks for finding and quoting those WoB

The reason I created this thread was because I have done a lot of sword drawings and shardblade drawings and different shades of blue isn't that interesting

Edited by Somebody from Roshar
Reason for starting thread