Neon Reads The Wheel of Time

aneonfoxtribute

Well it's been a long time coming. I've considered making a reaction chat here for a while, so that I can stop clogging up the "What are you reading" board, and I've finally gotten around to it. As of the creation of this board, I'm on Chapter 33 of The Shadow Rising. I hope that this type of format is fine. Also if there are questions on my opinions to things, feel free to ask :)

Now then for a quick theory to start things off: I think that Lord Luc could possibly be the Slayer. He seems to recognize Perrin, he's a dude hanging out in Two Rivers, and he is confident enough to not be worried about a Warder.

That's more productive in the long run. I think I kinda understand. In weekdays I can read every time I have 5 minutes to spare. During weekends I'm like "Well, I'm free for the next 12 hours. Time to play [insert game] until I go up ten levels or finish [insert show] in a day."

Yeah I've been trying to read a chapter a day but my weekends are falling apart. I've started watching a ton of my video backlog on the weekends while playing some game or another, sometimes my friend asks to play games (since that's all on weekends now that he's started college), and I generally watch a stream on Saturday nights now, along with general hour or so long videos that release weekly. 

Reading chapter 34. I like how a lot of Moiraine's actions are always hidden. It really helps with keeping her ambiguous, unsure of what she's thinking or what her goals are. We don't know why she went into Rhuidean, or why she went into the mirror ter'angreal. I don't distrust her, and never really have, it's just interesting.

If there is, I have no ideas. They said that she was a young woman who met an Aes Sedai and was told to become a Maiden, and that she left behind a son and a husband when she did, and evidently with some status given how she's described. If the hair color has any meaning, maybe she has some sort of relation to Elayne since they both have blond hair? But I'm unsure. 

If memory serves, the Aes Sedai is mentioned by name, and if you dug around a bit in the prior books you'd find another reference to her that would make it obvious, but either way you'll get the explicit answer eventually.   in book 6, i think.

its the sort of thing thats easy to miss unless you already knew to look for it.

Edited by Dunkum

I don't really remember anyone mentioning what it said, but I'm picturing something like:

Letter 1: You're the most wonderful person I've ever met and I want to marry you. 

Letter 2: But don't feel too comfortable, it's not like I like you or anything. 

Kind of a tsundere thing to do and I find it more adorable than I probably should. 

1 hour ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Remind me who Floran Gelb is. I recognize the name but I don't remember from where. I'm on chapter 38, by the way. First time in Tanchico with Egeanin

had to look it up to be sure because I thought I remembered him but wasn't positive.  he's the guy from Bayle Domon's ship who got kicked off because he was sleeping on his watch when Rand, Mat, and Thom jumped aboard after Shadar Logoth in book 1.

and yea, Daughter of the Nine Moons is a Seanchan thing, but you won't actually see her for a while.

It's in this book where I started seeing one of the main features or flaws, depending how you see it, people always mention about the series. 

There's so many characters the only reliable way to keep track is... actually keeping track, like with a notebook and everything. 

I don't plan on doing that, I hope it's fine just seeing what their role in the current book is and hoping I remember them before it ends, but it is pretty strange to see a vaguely familiar name that appeared for like half a page two books ago and the story expects me to remember it. 

I mean Floran Gelb is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.  honestly, this is a case where it probably would have made more sense for it to just be a new minor character rather than one we've seen before.  I don't recall him being particularly notable after Tanchico.