The Iriali (Origins)

I Am A Fish

Is this stoopid?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Is this stoopid?

• Yes, this is stoopid
    • No, this is plausible
    • I don't know

I am growing increasingly frustrated by the slow reveal of the Cosmere, I want it all. Now. Hello there. If you are not currently participating in my treasure hunt, ignore this. If you are,

Why am I saying this? good job! You just found a clue. Here it is: K'x jkffgp enwgu gxgtayjgrg, nkmg yjgrg vjg ktkcnk ctg.  

It's pretty simple. I was working on a theory about the Dawnshards, the Sibling, Ashyn, and how the sleepless tied in, when something caught my eye. It was about the Iriali.

They're not from Roshar.

Now this really shouldn't be a surprise. Human's aren't native to Roshar. And we all know that. The thing is, the Iriali aren't from the Rosharan system either.* For you to understand the tangent I'm about to go on, I recommend reading the coppermind page on the Iriali. It's a long, long tangent. 

The more I looked into this, the more intriguing it seemed. I believe Sanderson has purposefully kept the Iriali's origins very vague. But I would not be stopped. You see these are the kinds of things that get me interested. We know that Iriali be important later on. But the operating word is later. I wanted to know then and there. My search for answers sent me on an hour long search through the Coppermind, and Arcanum. The information I gathered lead me to this conclusion.

The Iriali have lived on three planet's.

And I believe I know which ones.

The first thing that I tipped me off is their religion. This is a HUGE clue. There was one. Who became many. This is really, really obvious. Adonalsium and the Shattering. (Though I believe that it has also been colored by Honor's death, or Autonomy's ability to have avatar's.) Or the In other words I believe the Iriali originate from Yolen. This matches up for four reasons:

1. Their religion was evidently based the shattering, even if some details are wrong
  2. There was a reason for them to leave: Fainlife 
  3. It has been confirmed that large amounts of humans have left Yolen
  4. And the Iriali are gonna play a large part in the space age/ final stage of the Cosmere, a stage I believe will be heavily focused on Yolen

Where they went after Yolen becomes a little less clear. There were four or five candidates in my mind, most likely being Nalthis, and Taldain.

After Yolen it's most likely they went to Nalthis. Once again I have less evidence, but there's still some. 

1. There seems to be a unusually high emphasison color's in Iriali society, Ex: Body painting
  2. The returned could have influenced the Iriali's religion
  3. The Rirans are near definitely from Nalthis:

JoyBlu

Evi, in Oathbringer, she uses strange idioms and you mentioned you wanna be on the lookout for people who use strange idioms... Is Evi native to Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes... Her people are related to the Iri, who are not native to Roshar. But she is not Iriali herself. And all the Iriali, they are native to Roshar, people who are born now, even if their people aren't. So Evi-- You can say, right, like, no humans are native to Roshar. But, yes, she was born on Roshar.

JoyBlu

...Would she might have some of the same blood in her that Vivenna and Siri would have?

Brandon Sanderson

Viviena and Siri... Oh, from... Ah, I'll RAFO that.

Given this, and the fact that the Riran's have large cultural ties with the Iriali it seems probable that the Iriali have been to Nalthis at one point. 

But where next? This troubled me for a while, and I thought that I had it down to two: Patji, or Threnody. 

It was Taldain.

This matches up pretty well. 

1. The Iriali and Daysiders look pretty similar, lot's of blond hair, and tan/gold skin 
  2. Autonomy has had influence on the Iriali's religion, not a large one but this ruled out threnody

So the Iriali, their religion, the whole the One breaking themselves into the many to experience the universe. You also have Autonomy breaking themselves into many avatars. So I was wondering is Autonomy connected to the Iriali in any meaningful way.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

So are the Iriali connected to Autonomy in a meaningful way? 

I'd say no. I mean they're slightly connected, but in a meaningful way, no, they're not connected.

Autonomy did not start the Iriali religion.

3. The temperature on the Dayside is similar to the Iriali climate, possibly explaining why they picked to live up north

These are my thoughts on the origins of the Iriali. Please say how stoopid I am below. I apologize for the wall of text.

*Brandon hasn't explicitly said this but he's ruled out Roshar, Ashyn and Braize as possible candidates. The only habitable planets in the system. 

Questioner

The Long Trail of the Iriali, was one of the first three lands Braize?

Brandon Sanderson

Hehehe. No. Excellent question. 

Argent

How many waves of human populations have migrated to Roshar? So I'm thinking the Ashynites coming from Ashyn, right? Was that just the only humans that ever came as a population?

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on if you count the Iriali?

Argent

That's specifically the one I'm thinking of.

Brandon Sanderson

They came in a separate migration.

Argent

Not from Ashyn?

Brandon Sanderson

Not from Ashyn.

Argent

From whatever the Third Land was.

Edited by I Used To Be A Fish

3 hours ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

I am growing increasingly frustrated by the slow reveal of the Cosmere, I want it all. Now. 

frustrated

Ah yes, a convert.

Endowment's death,

Uhm, that never happened.

5 hours ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

It has been confirmed that large amounts of humans have left Yolen

Where??

Their religion was evidently based the shattering, even if some details are wrong

Dont know if you saw this WoB

Questioner

Is the Iri religion based on knowledge of the [Shattering], anything like that?

Brandon Sanderson

Kind of, yes.

Questioner

But they don't know it?

Brandon Sanderson

They don't know it, yeah. I would say yes, there are echoes of it. There are more recent events that they don't even quite remember that are more influential.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

There were four or five candidates in my mind, most likely being Nalthis, and Taldain.

For all we know they couldve been to planets we dont know yet.

its not like they are limited to what we know

interesting WoB

Podman36

Did the Iriali have inhuman ancestry at some point in the past?

Brandon Sanderson

Depends on your definition of human. Most would say yes.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

This is very interesting! It makes me wonder about the diversity between races all over Roshar, I mean I never looked that deeply into it - But sure, they all look so different, I assumed it was just genetic divergence over the millennia but now I realise I need to look into this much more deeply. 

3 hours ago, Vailima said:

This is very interesting! It makes me wonder about the diversity between races all over Roshar, I mean I never looked that deeply into it - But sure, they all look so different, I assumed it was just genetic divergence over the millennia but now I realise I need to look into this much more deeply. 

Some of them aren't even pure human, Herdazian, Natanatan, Horneater, etc.

4 minutes ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

*Facepalm*

Sorry,

you do not want to know how late I stayed up working on this. 

I get it.

6 hours ago, Commander Azure said:

One thing I'd like to know: How could they tell if a random planet, say, Scadrial is their 5th land or 7th land? Is it just the next planet they get to?

4 hours ago, Eternal Khol said:

Where??

Dont know if you saw this WoB

Questioner

Is the Iri religion based on knowledge of the [Shattering], anything like that?

Brandon Sanderson

Kind of, yes.

Questioner

But they don't know it?

Brandon Sanderson

They don't know it, yeah. I would say yes, there are echoes of it. There are more recent events that they don't even quite remember that are more influential.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

For all we know they couldve been to planets we dont know yet.

its not like they are limited to what we know

interesting WoB

Podman36

Did the Iriali have inhuman ancestry at some point in the past?

Brandon Sanderson

Depends on your definition of human. Most would say yes.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

If there are any WoB about the Iriali, I saw them. I wish I hadn't, but I've seen them all. 

I agree that they could've been to a planet we don't know about, but these match up, really, really well.

My answers are one, possibly the Sho Del*. Two, Parshendi. The Iriali been on Roshar for a while, since at least the desolations. Idk, I guess the returned could count as inhuman? 

*Don't bother looking them up, all you'll get are RAFO's

I remember the Shardcast crew talking about this! My quick question would be as to why the Iriali went to Nalthis second, when we know that Nalthis is the closest planet/system outside the Rosharan one. Wouldn't it make more sense to go from Yolen to Taldain, then Nalthis, and then Roshar? Either way, good job OP! 

Just now, Use the Falchion said:

I remember the Shardcast crew talking about this! My quick question would be as to why the Iriali went to Nalthis second, when we know that Nalthis is the closest planet/system outside the Rosharan one. Wouldn't it make more sense to go from Yolen to Taldain, then Nalthis, and then Roshar? Either way, good job OP! 

Honestly both ways could totally work, I picked the way I found most likely. But they could be easily interchangeable.

On 9/11/2020 at 7:47 AM, Use the Falchion said:

They may have been moving planets while Taldain's lockdown was happening, where their travel got restricted by Autonomy.