You Won't Believe What Just Happened!

Scarletfox

That reminds me of what happened yesterday.

It was our student teacher's last day of class, so the teacher brought doughnuts. We each got one, and then we played a math Kahoot. To spice it up, the teacher said that whoever won could have another doughnut. So everyone played but the teacher(including the student teacher) and I won! I got a second doughnut, and to top it off, this was the first day I'd forgotten lunch this year. It was pretty great.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Sly said:

Something very funny happened in the Geometry class today (I help the Geometry teacher teach sometimes, another story for another time. The Geometry teacher, Mr. M, had brought donuts for the class before because they had, I don’t know, gotten good grades or something. So it was passing period between the class before Geometry, and Geometry. The Geometry students were filtering in, and one of them noticed one leftover donut, so, he nervously asked if he could get a donut. (this is one of my favorite teachers)

Mr. M affixed his eyes in an intense stare at the student, and said in a serious and dark tone, “On one condition. You may have the donut if I throw it as hard as I can at you.” The student, stood there for an awkward moment, before procuring an nervous smile and forcing out, “U-hm, sure.” Mr. M picked up the donut, wound up, and yeeted the donut at the student as hard as he possibly could.

FWAPP 

The donut hit the student’s shirt, the quiet yet thunderous sound resounding through the classroom. The student looked at the donut for the second it was stuck to his shirt due to the velocity (though it was starting to peel off), and then looked up at Mr. M.

FASHUMP

The donut fell from the student’s shirt onto the floor, leaving a circle of glaze on the fabric. Somebody in the back coughed; everyone’s attention was on this student, Mr. M, and the donut. The student nervously picked up the donut and returned to his seat. For the rest of class, the student nibbled the donut down to the ring of the donut that had touched the ground, what was more like a thin disk of germy donut, and threw away the disk on his way out of class.

It's a wonder that he is teaching geometry. With a windup like that he could pitch in the majors.

57 minutes ago, Ookla the Grammatical said:

So we were doing a lab for our Chemistry final(we got to set lots of things on fire, including ethyl alcohol and magnesium) and on one of the experiments, H2O was formed. Guess where it went?

The outside of the bottle. It was condensation! I laughed and everyone wanted to know why.

I hate it when there are inside jokes that I find really funny, but nobody gets it because they don't know about the shard.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/24/2020 at 7:39 AM, Vapor said:

Moosen! I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of them, many much moosen!

I-understood-that-reference.jpg.8eacb428ed2efef5c1c4736cc231b639.jpg

Edit: *Insert horrified noise here because I just wasted my thousandth post when I was planning something much bigger than a Captain America picture*

Ah, well. At least it happened on a thematically appropriate thread.

Edited by Enter a username

Arrgggh! Why did I find this thread on a day when I've already used all my up-votes?!?! All of you deserve rep points!!

To several of you: Middle school is (for most people) absolutely the worst time of your life. It was true back in the 60s (yes, I am prolly older than your grandparents, LOL!), and it sounds like it's still true today. Gym was the worst for me too & I was glad when I never had to take it again: there are all kinds of ways to keep fit that aren't competitive or demeaning, so later in life you'll have better options. Your folks might have pointed this out, but if not, let me say that time does make a difference: middle school would have been 1/5th of my life when I was 15 - nowadays it's less than 1/20th of my life, which means it's a LOT less important to who I am as a person. IDK if that makes sense to any of you, but if it does I hope it helps a little bit.

OK, here's my story. It happened a few years ago. A friend and I went for a hike in a nearby national park (we have great parks in Ohio!). It was winter, and pretty cold (20s F) and a little snow on the ground. We started at maybe 2:30 and took a path marked as "1.5 miles." Uh-huh. Well, we walked and we walked ... the sky started getting a little dark ... and we were still walking ... my friend checked her watch, & it was after 5 PM ... and we were still walking, following the trail markers. Now. we are both pretty fit people and walk at a good pace. No way it would take us that long to walk 1.5 miles! And it was getting darker, and we were out in the woods, and there was no one around. And we realized that neither of us had brought any food, or water, or a compass, or a flashlight, or our phones ... what kind of poor woodcraft did we have?!? Gaah! We came up over a rise, and off in the distance I could see her car! I bet it was at least a mile away, as the crow flies. The "path" veered off in another direction, but we decided to go cross-country, through brambly patches and small streams, straight for her car. We got halfway up a hill and she just stopped: "I can't go any further!" So I got behind her and pushed her till we got to the top. The next hill, it was me who stopped, and she pushed me to the top. We were laughing at ourselves, but also getting concerned because the park rangers would chain the parking lot shut once it got dark, and then what would we do? We were finally able to get up on the road that led into the park, and just followed that to the parking lot - drove away just as night was falling. So hungry! But we were both too tired (and kinda sweaty, tbh) to go to a nice restaurant like we had planned - drive-in burgers for us! How did that happen? Our theory is that the park rangers were re-laying the trails during the winter when less people would have been using them, and the trail markers were just messed up enough to cause us to go the wrong way. Anyway, we always bring our phones & water now! And we have a fun memory that we still laugh about pretty often. Hope you enjoyed my story! :)

Okay.  This one's a bit old, but it's possibly the most absurd story I'll every get to tell.

Time: The last days of Febuary - beginning of April 2020

Place: Several Midwest locations

Alrighty.  That's the scene.  It's our traditional road trip - we always take one because otherwise we'd never see the extended family who live in other states.  At the beginning of this, right around Leap Day, everyone knew about Covid, but no one was really concerned yet.

So we meander our way down out of the West Coast and leave our lovely mountains behind, and we go to my grandparent's house.  This is where things start getting wild.

We're unloading our bags at my grandparent's house, and the news is on because it always is there.  I walk in and Italy is being locked down.  It's getting serious.

Then, on Sunday, right before everything in Texas started getting shut down, my dad goes on a bike ride with another guy.  Two hours later, we get a call that my dad has fallen off his bike and broken his ankle.  So my mom sends us to another relative's house, and goes to the ER with him.  This is when I started considering writing a book about this month.

My dad is in the hospital and needs surgery, and then the next night, so Monday, everything gets shut down.  So we can't go visit him, we can't go anywhere, and we certainly can't go home.  

So, the country's shut down, my dad can't travel, and no one in the extended family is really prepared to have all (redacted) of us staying with them for an unknown amount of time.  Plus the fact that there are multiple high-risk individuals among us.  *increasingly chaotic music increases*

We talk about flying.  My dad can't drive, obviously, but maybe he could fly home and I can go with him to help out if needed?  The answer to this is a resounding no, as lockdown intensifies.  (The further I go in this story, the more memes and jokes I'm adding.  Odd.)

This continues for three weeks.  At this point, I've read all the books I brought with me (five.  Finished them while we were traveling down, actually.), have read a dozen Nancy Drews and can predict the plots from a mile away, read Gone With the Wind because it was there and there was nothing else, read Holes in a single afternoon, and am now fresh out of books and have been for days.

Finally, finally, we get the all clear and start heading home.  All of us.  In one car.  With my dad taking up a whole row to put his foot up. Shotgun for me... yay?  This is not how I intended to assume said position.  (The rule is he who rides shotgun picks the music.)

Then blessedly, we get home.  Mountains!  Trees!  Rain!  Green!  The eternally impending doom of the volcanoes!  Ah, it was good to be back.

The final part of this tale is that we didn't take our dog with us.  He had to stay home because last time, he bit a doorknob.  That's another story.  So our poor dog has been dog sat, very well and patiently, I might add, for five, almost six weeks as oppose to three.  He was very happy to see us.

Anyway, that's my story of How I Went Through the Beginning of the Pandemic in a Seven-Passenger Van.

2 hours ago, Iarwainiel said:

Very cool!!:D

Yes! It's fun to wear.

2 hours ago, Bearer of all agonies said:

no one will know it’s you

Of course they will. Our school has a uniform, and most of the people there are either sane or self-conscious. Therefore, only I would wear a cloak to school.

3 minutes ago, Iarwainiel said:

@Condensation I just now read your signature! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  "People who have checked my grammar..." Too funny! Bravo! (I also note with approval your use of the Oxford comma - very glad you're on the correct side of that debate!B))

*bows*

That's me! I'm glad I'm on the correct side as well.

On 9/24/2020 at 10:39 AM, Vapor said:

... I think, Moosen! I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of them, many much moosen! ... For those of you who understand what ⇧that came from, I applaud you.

I love the Shard!!! I learn so much from all of you!

I fully admit that I did not get this reference (hey, I'm old & haven't had TV in over 20 years, so it happensB)), so I just looked up the skit on YT. Hilarious!

But I'm posting here for a different reason (since this happened to me just now!):

Just past the point where he says "moosen," it IMO sounds like he starts talking in Spook's Eastern dialect from Mistborn (High Imperial from the Wax & Wayne books). Here's a (rough) transcription - what do you think? "Food is to eatin' is it ... the meets wanting fooden in the wooding is it..." Brilliant!

Thank you fellow Shard-ers for helping me end my day with a jolly laugh!:D

This happened to me a few months ago but I just now thought to post it here/I haven't yet joined when this happened here soooo...

It was the first day of the second quarter in my school so I had new classes, and I was asking my new language arts teacher if he'd read any Sanderson or something, I can't remember, but he said that...

Spoiler

Wait for it...

Spoiler

We get to Email/mail our favorite author. (in the fourth quarter, so still a ways away)

Spoiler

And many students in the past have Emailed Sanderson in the past.

Spoiler

And he writes back.

Mind blown yet?

Anyway, something not-so-fun, every day for the class (Except fridays) we have to read for twenty minutes (Which is awesome!) but we have to fill out a google doc about what we read with questions like "Would you be friends with any of the characters in the story and why?" or "What is your favorite part so far?" and things like that, but at the end we have to put the summary of what we read. Which would give spoilers to my teacher, and I am a serious no-spoiler person, so this made me sad, so I tried to word my summaries in the most convoluted way possible so only someone who has read the books would understand. I eventually found  better course of action: I highlighted the words in black like this so he couldn't read it unless he wanted spoilers for the books.

(By the way, to read the black highlighted part, just highlight it with your cursor so it looks blue, then the words will pop out)

*Edit: FYI, all this was in virtual school, so over Zoom.

Edited by 2EmLee2