Yelig-Nar, Amaram and powers

Oltux72

Which powers does Yelig-Nar grant? Amaram's final battle has a few oddities in particular with respect to Plate.
He burst his first boot, usd Cohesion, then burst his second boot and used Abrasion. That raises two questions.

1. Why didn't he just fall onto his face? It was his very first time using Abrasion. Lift hasn't mastered it after weeks.
  2. You armor up from the boots. We are told that that is not optional. He lost them both. Why does he not collapse?

Yet he does not heal a broken jaw. Yelig-Nar does not grant the power the Fused have. Does he grant something akin to (Scadrial)

Spoiler

Pewter, enhanced strength and dexterity?

I'm curious about the Tension and Pewter thing as well... I looked through Arcanum but I couldn't find anything linking the two. All I found was references to it being linked to surface tension, and making things rigid. It makes me think of the Hira Hira no Mi from One Piece(Diamante's Devil Fruit) Which, if it functioned similarly could be pretty interesting.

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/Hira_Hira_no_Mi

12 minutes ago, Odeem said:

I'm curious about the Tension and Pewter thing as well... I looked through Arcanum but I couldn't find anything linking the two. All I found was references to it being linked to surface tension, and making things rigid. It makes me think of the Hira Hira no Mi from One Piece(Diamante's Devil Fruit) Which, if it functioned similarly could be pretty interesting.

I mean, Diamante's kind of the reverse, since he makes things that are already hard flexible. So, for those that aren't familiar with One Piece, the dude has the power to make anything into a "flag" which makes it move like fabric. The most Tension thing he probably does with it is turn a sheet of steel into a cape and then when he needs to defend himself turns it back into a sheet of steel, basically creating an instant shield. I do believe Tension could do something similar but in the reverse way, taking a normal cape and making it rigid and durable as steel. But anyway, as for the Tension being like Pewter, I guess if you can use Tension on yourself you could theoretically harden your skin (which would actually be fairly like armament haki from One Piece) or make your joints and muscles more Tense to support greater weights. So maybe if you used it very carefully and precisely you could simulate super strength, but frankly it seems kind of unlikely. Other than bones, there's not a lot in the human body that likes being rigid. In general, flesh likes being able to bend and stretch to do its job. But, if you're made of crystals, I guess that isn't much of an issue.

On 9/9/2020 at 10:48 PM, Halyo_Alex said:

Wait when was that specified? That's very interesting.

1 hour ago, Odeem said:

Here you go

TheDanfromSpace

Could Dalinar lift stones of equivalent weight to the statue [in Thaylen City]? Assuming enough Stormlight. Or was that extra strength part of his Surges?

Brandon Sanderson

You are correct--Dalinar could not lift stones of equivalent weight in other circumstances.

General Reddit 2020 (March 5, 2020)

On 10.09.2020 at 0:26 AM, Person said:

It looks like it grants all ten surges. But then, how did Amaram know how to use them? Maybe Yelig-Nar also grants mastery of the surges, somehow? I do not know. He seems dangerous.

I think this can be similar (in smaller scale) to relation Shard-vessel. Mean, after bonding with Yelig-Nar, host instinctively know what he can do with Surges and how, but he has to learn how to use them efficiently. He know how to make Lashing, but he need to learn precise directions or strengh of it, and so on.

We also know that host of Yelig-Nar, similary to Fused, can have limited access to Investiture

Spoiler

(Heavenly Ones can fly very efficiently, but they canot heal themselves and fly at the same time)

and Progression is very Investiture-Intensive - so maybe Amaram heal himself only to some point after fall, and then stops and uses Tension to keep fighting.

Edited by Bzhydack

On 9/11/2020 at 10:13 AM, Frustration said:

Here you go

That would be why I didn't find it. I only looked up when Tension was used, and then double checked it with Pewter. x-x I'll learn one of these days how to use Arcanum better lol. If he has to be using it as part of his spiritual bit, I'm not sure I'd really equate it with Pewter though.

5 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

(Heavenly Ones can fly very efficiently, but they canot heal themselves and fly at the same time)

Seeing as I’ve never heard of Heavenly Ones, this sounds like RoW spoilers. If it is, could you please put it in a spoiler box?

Personally I really don't think Yelig-nar grants any increased capability with abilities. He just grants access. I can go over it again later, but I checked briefly and all Amaram really did was:

1. Suspend himself briefly in the air twice

2. turn the ground into liquid

3. Ignite the air briefly

4. Slide forward in a straight line briefly. 

That does not sound overly proficient to me. He used those surges briefly and at their most base. He did not fly with gravitation, he floated in place. He did not shape the ground (like how the stoneware created steps), he just made the ground liquid for Kal to sink into. He did not turn the ground to flame and blow up the area. All he did was ignite it for a bit. Lift can use abrasion on portions of her body, she just isn't proficient enough to change direction, and execute finer maneuvers. She was able to engulf herself completely in abrasion enough that it felt like the wind and even light slid off of her. It was after a few moments that she then accidentally tripped and went sprawling. Amaram did what I equate to putting your left foot on a skate board, pushing off with the right, and coasting for a few feet, and then stopping with your other foot. Lift has accomplished far more than that on her knees and even feet. 

Edited by Pathfinder