WoK visions ??

Mistborn Surgebinder

So I'm rereading way of kings, and I know we're on to book 4, and this is old news, and maybe it's been discussed before, but a few questions about dalinars visions:

Is he just interacting with what is basically a recording? Or is his consciousness actually transferred into the past? And if that's the case, what happens to the consciousness of the people who's place he's taking? Is it possible that it's transferred into dalinar in the present? 

It seems "obvious" that of course he's interacting with what is essentially a recording, except, the actions he takes have actual effects on what he's seeing. He's not just seeing. He's in the world of what he's seeing. 

Just some thoughts and questions. 

It's like a recording, but the people can interact with him in a limited way.

Dalinar himself is positioned as one of the characters in the memory and if he acts out of part, the other people act confused.

Mostly he won't be albe to get much information, because they simply don't answer if he falls to much out of part.

It's basically like a videogame level. the people in the visions react realisitcally, for the most part, but there are limits, and the visions themselves will always try to raliroad him along to the point they want him to get and/or the thing they want him to see.

Argent

How do visions in the cosmere work? And I'm thinking Realmatically.

Brandon Sanderson

So almost always [it's] glimpsing into the Spiritual Realm. But you are often seeing it through the Cognitive, and so like a vision that...

So like the vision that Dalinar sees. What's going on is-- being pulled, and kind of stretched a little bit through the Realms, into the Spiritual Realm.  Where a Cognitive construct is adding a framework to seeds that are set in place.

Argent

So that you can kind of comprehend the Spiritual?

Brandon Sanderson

You can comprehend-- and also there's a little bit of a life to it. Meaning it can respond to you and things like this, to an extent. So imagine, it kind of works like an AI. Imagine there's some-- You've got that power in the Spiritual Realm and you're adding a framework to it, that it is shining through, and that is giving you the vision. Complicated, I know. Spiritual Realm is supposed to be weird, and we aren't supposed to quite comprehend it, but that's why we've got the Cognitive framework there.

JordanCon 2018 (April 22, 2018)