RoW Chapter 10 Discussion

Jofwu

This was so short. :(

4 minutes ago, Innovation said:

Well, steel and iron polarize? Tin diminishes, not to surprising. But steel and iron?

I read that as meaning that steel and iron did not effect the fabrial itself, instead they were used to change whether tin or pewter were touching the fabrial.

11 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

This was so short. :(

I read that as meaning that steel and iron did not effect the fabrial itself, instead they were used to change whether tin or pewter were touching the fabrial.

Yeah, but not as a mechanism. Rather, you have both tin and pewter connected to the Fabrial, and steel and iron change them magically. The word touching in the sentence would mean affecting. Perhaps this works with zinc and brass as well. 

Edit: does Dalinar worship the God Beyond now? 

Edited by Innovation

Wow!! A short chapter, but it packs a punch! Kal listen to Dalinar the bondsmith knows what he is saying. Also maybe Rlain as a windrunner!! That would be nice. Shallan said suicide? Really. Someone is keeping their secrets!! Also Ash is also having problems. This is looking very bad. Am I the only one who who chuckles on imagining Kaladin the diplomat? 

2 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

Wow!! A short chapter, but it packs a punch! Kal listen to Dalinar the bondsmith knows what he is saying. Also maybe Rlain as a windrunner!! That would be nice. Shallan said suicide? Really. Someone is keeping their secrets!! Also Ash is also having problems. This is looking very bad. Am I the only one who who chuckles on imagining Kaladin the diplomat? 

Ash has always had problems, we're just seeing them through Kaladin's eyes and assessments now. As for Shallan I think reporting suicide is the safer option, saying "she may have been murdered by an unknown assailant" just spreads panic. She or Adolin can tell Dalinar privately what really happened.

1) Ah, so that's why Kaladin wasn't fighting in Syl's interlude. He does exhibit symptoms of PTSD but at the same time it's also cruel to take him away from what's become his everything

2) Dalinar is taking to command well, before this we'd only seen the Blackthorn and the Dalinar plagued by Visions. But he's side-stepping a lot of issues rather than addressing them, I understand but I can't help but think this might come back to bite him. Also I do hope that the racism on Roshar isn't dealt with by a higher power or greater threat but actual human effort

3) yup, Honor turned away from the Parshendi first glad to see this addressed

4) "the God Beyond", you say?

5) also the way reading Dalinar interacts with Kaladin rankles me makes me even more sure that I do not like the military.

6) I'm still more attached to Kaladin than any other Stormlight character. Please stop torturing Kaladin, Brando

7) 10 days irony with Kaladin

8) deflecting the Everstorm's lightning with lightning rods! Of course! Lightning is the biggest physical problem posed directly by the storm itself unlike the Highstorm which is basically a hurricane

9) the epigraph, tin suppressing attributes... huh, makes sense as an internal pulling metal, I suppose, also kind of similar to its Feruchemical use, though presumably fabrials don't store the attributes, just- wait did Navani use the same fabrial against her, Fen & Kmakl's captors ? Edit: it wasn't. Augmenter and Diminisher fabrials are quite separate, huh

Edited by Honorless

Just now, Agent34 said:

Ash has always had problems, we're just seeing them through Kaladin's eyes and assessments now. As for Shallan I think reporting suicide is the safer option, saying "she may have been murdered by an unknown assailant" just spreads panic. She or Adolin can tell Dalinar privately what really happened.

While true if she is so bad that he doubts he can get any information out of her that seems to me like a regression. Before she had a problem, but she seemed somewhat lucid despite it. 

1 minute ago, Nathrangking said:

While true if she is so bad that he doubts he can get any information out of her that seems to me like a regression. Before she had a problem, but she seemed somewhat lucid despite it. 

Unfortunately people have a tendency to put a "crazy" sticker on someone and henceforth doubt anything they say.

So, no Windrunner has yet reached the Fourth Ideal - I had wondered if Teft or Lopen might have "overtaken" Kaladin after a year or so.

Kaladin knows the Words he couldn't say. And still cannot say. And is convinced he probably will never be able to say.

Wow, that hurt to read. But it makes sense. Kaladin freezing up on the battlefield is the worst thing possible for the Windrunners to see.

I assume his "breaking out" will require saying the Fourth Ideal...? Too obvious?

The part of "relieving him from his duties" brought tears to my eyes. Dalinar is a tough bastard, but he is right.

None had yet spoken the Fourth Ideal. He liked to think that it was as hard for them as it was for him, and none had yet cracked it. But… but could they be restraining themselves because of him? Out of some misguided respect?

Quite sure we 'll see one of the others speak the 4th ideal now.

13 minutes ago, Honorless said:

1) Ah, so that's why Kaladin wasn't fighting in Syl's interlude. He does exhibit symptoms of PTSD but at the same time it's also cruel to take him away from what's become his everything

2) Dalinar is taking to command well, before this we'd only seen the Blackthorn and the Dalinar plagued by Visions. But he's side-stepping a lot of issues rather than addressing them, I understand but I can't help but think this might come back to bite him. Also I do hope that the racism on Roshar isn't dealt with by a higher power or greater threat but actual human effort3

Told u Lirin wouldn't die. Also dalinar did the right thing. Besides he can still interact with them at Urithuru. 

Racism ? U mean the parshendi. Oh that honorspren or are u talking about dalinar ?

Not. Really. Seeing ten's the ideal number in Roshar 

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

a tiny old man reclining on a small cloud as he flew beside Kaladin. The spren, Yunfah

Awww

The thing had four fins on it, like an arrow. 

YES! Now they just need the racing stripe!

the old pillar at this edge of the plateau. Tall, with steps along the outside, it had become a perfect scout nest. Rlain said it had been used in Parshendi ceremonies, but he hadn’t known its original purpose

This pillar reminds me of the weird pillar on the right of the Ashyn exodus mosaic that has snakes or spren coming out of it. And the creepy pillars in the background of Taln's endpage. Maybe no connection. 

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/stormlightarchive/images/c/c2/Oathgates.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20190617030117

https://i0.wp.com/www.tor.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/Taln-Donato-rgb.jpg?resize=997%2C1500&type=vertical&ssl=1

Dalinar said to Kaladin. “God Beyond willing, "

That's a new one for Dalinar. Did he get this from Wit, Zahel or other worldhopper? Or is this one of his unexplained (spiritual realm) insights like knowing there are 9 Fused Orders?

He asks how long you’ll give him, Syl explained.

“Ten days,” Kaladin said. “And that is generous.”

“You have ten days. Before then, I want you to report to me your decision.”

I don't know that "what goes around comes around" is appropriate here, but it is amusing to see Kaladin give and get these ultimatums. 

Edited by Child of Hodor

Although Kaladin is trying to support Rlain, Rlain deserves a spren that sees how incredible he is, not one that sees him as an enemy.

I hope this goes in one of these two ways: either Rlain ending up with a different spren, or Yunfah and Rlain having an arc together, where Yunfah gets over his prejudices. I'm hoping we get some Rlain povs after part 1.

Just now, PrinceGenocide said:

Told u Lirin wouldn't die. 

Racism ? U mean the parshendi.

Oh that honorspren or are u talking about dalinar ? Not. Really. Seeing ten's the ideal number in Roshar 

I never said anything about Lirin, nor was there anything regarding him in the chapter- did you confuse Lirin with Laran?

I meant Lighteyes-Darkeyes, but yes, human-Parshendi as well

Doesn't stop it from being any less ironic

18 minutes ago, Honorless said:

My sentiments exactly. Give an ultimátum, get an ultimátum.

Tin diminisher theory confirmed. Koodles. Changes polarization? Did someone really get what that means? Like you need them to switch between painrial and pain inducer?

Excited to see Rlain might ve about to become a Windrunner( now we know what's up with the waiting honorspren)

And the main course: we knew it was coming but it was still devastating!!! Oh, Kal! I'm glad u could at least understand Dalinar does care about you and is doing this in your best interest. Hoping this time off will help u heal cause.....

PS: How did that God Beyond got in the middle of that!!! Does this mean that that warmth Dalinar referred to when he said Honor was dead but there was still something beyond him is actually the God Beyond!!!!!!!!!!!OMG....B?

Edited by Shardsplinter

Just now, Honorless said:

I never said anything about Lirin, nor was there anything regarding him in the chapter- did you confuse Lirin with Laran?

I meant Lighteyes-Darkeyes, but yes, human-Parshendi as well

Doesn't stop it from being any less ironic

No like a lot of ppl and perhaps you or Trav were saying Lirin would die and that's what pushed dalinar to retire kal. Sorry if I misremembered. 

I'm pretty sure the eye thing is fading away now that anyone can be a radiant and get Shardblades.

Also taln has dark eyes and they know that . Dalinar and the others are pro equality now genderwise and eye colour wise. Have we seen anyone being discriminated against cause of that ? I mean kaladin was just angry at dalinar right ?

Yeah . It is funny and ironic yes.