Spiritual Illumination and Dawnshard evidence

LightReader

So... two sort of mini theories, which should maybe be separate topics, but oh well. 

First, considering that Yalb is alive and Shallan drew a picture of him almost like she was having a vision, and the similar drawing she does of Shalash, I’m wondering if the spiritual side of the illumination surge is something like limited Clairvoyance. This is also somewhat based on how Renarin’s future sight works, he only really sees the future of people he has Connection with so far right? This is of course corrupted because of Sja-anat’s influence, but I’m thinking that in a more normal Truthwatcher bond, something similar might manifest, only it would be about seeing things in the past or present rather than in the future. Clairvoyance instead of precognition. This is probably a stretch and would definitely need a lot more evidence to make it really creditable.

My second, mostly unrelated, mini-theory sort of tangentially relates to Lightweaver powers as well, in this case Soulcasting, but the fabrials. Knowing from recent pre-release chapters that they found a big stock of Soulcasters in Aimia, that Soulcaster stones  don’t have the normal spren in them, and that Brandon’s said we’ve technically seen evidence of Dawnshards on-screen, what if the Soulcasters are somehow technology directly derived from the Dawnshard in Aimia. Either created through researching the Dawnshard, or somehow made from pieces of that Dawnshard. I’m leaning toward the first, perhaps through a mix of the Dawnshard research and knowledge of the Soulcasting surge. I’m also now wondering if the Dawnshards are like “stone tablets” of information that come from Yolen about the nature of investiture and Adonalsium and such. Rather than a literal weapon that caused the Shattering, it’s the knowledge and blueprints of how it was done. That whole splitting up dangerous knowledge or tech and spreading it throughout the universe trope... although I’m sure Brandon would find a fun way to turn it upside-down or subvert it somehow. 

Thoughts? And have these ideas already been discussed somewhere? 

I have similar thoughts regarding the first theory. Truthwatchers see something, and both Illumination & Progression have a very visible Spiritual component to them dealing with Connection & sDNA, it makes sense for clairvoyance and/or postcognition to arise from them.

I've had a similar thought about the dawn shards which would for your second idea. Dawnshard are aethers which soul casters contain a small piece of it. But I think the idea of the sleeping spren discounts that. If the Dawnshard could power it then why the spren. 

The sleeping spren probably agreed to be bound to a device. The differnce being the new ones are making slaves and the old ones were by choice. Possibly using a bond Smith to create a "false bond" to the device. 

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the Dawnshards are terraforming fabrials. Roshar is covered with the evidence of massive Surgebindings- the Shattered Plain, Urithiru, the Windblades, the Purelake, and I kind of think Shinovar is a chunk of the world that was Soulcast to be a different world instead. All of these strange, unnatural places seem to have been changed to make them suitable for humans, one way or another, except for the Shattered Plain. I believe that's evidence that the Dawnshards can be weaponized, and thats why they were locked away.

Edited by earthexile

• 8 months later...
On 9/7/2020 at 7:38 PM, LightReader said:

So... two sort of mini theories, which should maybe be separate topics, but oh well. 

First, considering that Yalb is alive and Shallan drew a picture of him almost like she was having a vision, and the similar drawing she does of Shalash, I’m wondering if the spiritual side of the illumination surge is something like limited Clairvoyance. This is also somewhat based on how Renarin’s future sight works, he only really sees the future of people he has Connection with so far right? This is of course corrupted because of Sja-anat’s influence, but I’m thinking that in a more normal Truthwatcher bond, something similar might manifest, only it would be about seeing things in the past or present rather than in the future. Clairvoyance instead of precognition. This is probably a stretch and would definitely need a lot more evidence to make it really creditable.

Note that she does these drawings shortly after burning a prayer to Shalash, for more evidence there's something Spiritual going on ;)

On 08/09/2020 at 4:28 PM, paperstones said:

In regards to Dawnshards, I'm wondering if by Dawn they mean Adonalsium and by shard they mean one of the 16. If that is the case could Dawnshards be related to Odium? And those original Fabrials be connected to him and his spren?

The Dawnshards existed before the Shattering so no

On 08.09.2020 at 5:28 PM, paperstones said:

I'm wondering if by Dawn they mean Adonalsium

I think, in the cosmere, they call their version of Big Bang - the Dawn. Adonalsium created the cosmere with a variation of "Let there be light" - that became the literal and metaphorical dawn in this universe.