Main Characters' Perspectives On Each Other

Vailima

One of my favourite things (there are a lot of these, but today I discuss one of them) about Stormlight is reading chapters of characters observing the main characters, and how it contrasts with those characters' view of themselves. 

There's a lot of awesome examples of this, but my personal favourite is Kaladin POV whenever he thinks about Adolin or Shallan. It makes me feel all warm inside when Kaladin can't help but like Adolin, the most likable guy in the Cosmere, despite being a grumpy lighteyes hater who doesn't want to like him on principle, and the contrast between how strong Kaladin believes Shallan is but how broken she feels inside is always a really interesting character portrait to explore and examine. Kaladin's observations are some of my favourite chapters. 

An honourable mention is any Bridge Four POV chapter when they observe their leader. Whenever anyone else describes Bridge Fours' adulation towards Kaladin, it's like they think the Bridge thinks he's invulnerable, but whenever we get a POV from the actual members they all seem to be super aware of Kaladin's mental health and trying to look after him just as much as he tries to look after them. 

What are some of your favourite POVs and of whom? 

Edited by Vailima
forgot two words: want to

4 hours ago, Vailima said:

One of my favourite things (there are a lot of these, but today I discuss one of them) about Stormlight is reading chapters of characters observing the main characters, and how it contrasts with those characters' view of themselves. 

I agree with this completely! I think it's an insight into how a character behaves that is hard to get in books with just one perspective. I think that Kaladin isn't nearly as good at hiding his pain as he thinks he is, but that Shallan (unsurprisingly) is excellent at it. Dalinar's also an interesting one for this, given his memory loss. At the moment, he's generally thought well of; even the people that dislike him seem to grudgingly respect him. But we don't get very many viewpoints of people that knew him in his Blackthorn days. I've always wondered how those around him reacted to his shift in personality.

The viewpoint that I'm most looking forward to is Jasnah's, though (and not just because I really like her character). We get a lot about her from people like Shallan and Dalinar, and both of them think very highly of her. But there are moments where we see her slip, a little bit, and to me those are the most intriguing moments for her. For example, her apology to Shallan is one of my favorite moments, because we see that she is aware of her flaws, despite her outward confidence. I'm hoping she gets some time in the spotlight in book 4, because I think she's the best example of what you're talking about here.

6 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

The viewpoint that I'm most looking forward to is Jasnah's, though (and not just because I really like her character). We get a lot about her from people like Shallan and Dalinar, and both of them think very highly of her. But there are moments where we see her slip, a little bit, and to me those are the most intriguing moments for her. For example, her apology to Shallan is one of my favorite moments, because we see that she is aware of her flaws, despite her outward confidence. I'm hoping she gets some time in the spotlight in book 4, because I think she's the best example of what you're talking about here.

Agree 100% with all of this, I am so ready for more Jasnah POV chapters. I'm also really excited to get to know more about what her and Ivory's relationship is like, I feel like you learn so much about characters via their relationship with their spren