The Band Kidz

Oh, are we flexing chair positions?

I got 1st chair bass for regionals and I was sightreading the music.

we were supposed to have been practicing it for the last 6 months. 
Granted, it was bass, usually a small section, but there were still like 12 of us, biggest bass section I’ve been in since. 

moral of the story: never practice, ever. Things will generally just work out. #CoastingOnNaturalTalentNeverComesBackToBiteYouEver

Edited by Danex

I’m an oboe, so there isn’t much competition for chairs. I feel like oboes are the outliers of band. We rarely get new people and we are special advanced instruments with tough double reeds that only bassoons can relate to. We also get mostly rests in pieces. It’s like we are hated by all composers everywhere. And when we do get to play, we just play the flute part but without the high notes. It’s frustrating, really. 
the only good stuff is that all the oboists I have met are insanely proud of their instrument, myself included. I wonder if there are any members of the oboe cult on the shard.

Whooo, I can be part of this. Hi guys, hi. I play clarinet and I really like band. That's basically it. I'm not the greatest, but I'm not bad by any means. I just really, really like to play and I think band is magical. Anybody have any funny band stories?

Edited by Shard of Thought

2 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

I’m a trumpet player! Yes, ego is most definitely a problem in our section.

You might say........they like to toot their own horns?

Edited by Danex
Thank you, thank you, I’ll be here all night

On 9/7/2020 at 7:26 PM, Bearer of all agonies said:

Yay! @Jaywalk! We trumpets definitely have egos. It gets really annoying. People are always bragging about who’s better. 

The ego biggest ego in our band was french horn but he was definitely the best in the band. Our trumpet section did have an ego problem though.

Also if we are comparing I was first trombone. (But only because no one practiced)

• 3 weeks later...