Who Else is Avoiding RoW Preview Chapters?

ILuvHats

I am reading them every Tuesday. 

little snippets of a story that is still 2 months away? I will happily take all of the teaser chapters. 

However, I am also perfectly fine with Spoilers. Give me the punchline before the Joke and the end of the story before I’ve read the book. 

I will still enjoy the Joke, and the Story loses absolutely nothing for me.

Edited by IllNsickly

I'm not reading them. At all.

I read the prologue of OB when that came out, but it didn't really add anything to the experience for me.

I also feel guilty getting a new book and skipping a part... Why? No idea.

And the sheer joy of opening a new book (especially a Cosmere one) for the first time and just doing everything in one go is something I don't want to miss out on.

I'm not active at all in the theory section, so that doesn't bother me. I hope to maybe be able to contribute at some point, though, after RoW.

I'm not a super fast reader, but I can read for really long stretches of time, especially Sanderson's stuff. (I reread Warbreaker in under 24 hours. It was all I did that day except sleep).

I look forward to hauling it around school for a while!

ONLY 53 MORE DAYS!

On 6.9.2020 at 6:04 PM, ILuvHats said:

Of course I still remember the general plot so far, but I always feel like I might have forgotten about small details that will prove important. And if I already feel that way about tv series, how much worse will it be for a Stormlight book considering how dense they can be?

I understand you 100%. But I can tell you how it is for me: 
Because there is only one small, little chapter per week, I read it significantly slower and much more attentive than I'd otherwise do. Plus afterwards I read the discussion about it in the forum. For me personally I will remember those first chapters WAY better than the rest of the book because when the whole book finally gets released, I'll read far too fast and won't be able to pace me. 

So I'm pretty sure that I will not have to re-read the first chapters before I get the book. But that's just the way I see and do it. 

On 9/21/2020 at 6:06 PM, Nyankozensi said:

I stopped at chapter 4. I can wait a few months.... hopefully

This is actually far more impressive an act of will than simply to avoid reading all of the early-release chapters.

It's like... You've opened up a bag of potato chips and actually ate only one!

Especially since at the Tor website, Chapters 4 and 5 were released together! I take it you mean you read those two and stopped? Because if you literally stopped in the middle of that release... Storms!

I am 2/3rds of the way through my SA reread right now, so I have been avoiding all RoW stuff like the plague. But once I finish rereading OB, I'll probably read one preview chapter a day since it'll be close enough to the release date that there won't be that much of a gap. I 100% agree though. I forget a lot when I don't consistently read, especially with an epic such as SA. For my reread I've forced myself to read at least 40 pages a day, so I am uncovering so much more in my reread than I did when I originally read the SA.

Every time a "To those reading the preview chapters, how is Rhythm of War NO SPOILERS" threads pops up on the Stormlight subreddit, I get so psyched up! The comments there don't have any (major) spoilers, and they provide a much clearer picture than the current Goodreads reviews do. That being said, the more excited I get for this book, the more my willpower is tested. I don't think I'll break, but man is it tempting at times...

I'm reading the preview chapters, but I'm trying really hard to avoid anything here on the Shard that sounds like it might end up being a spoiler - so, mostly avoiding other people's theories. I've posted a couple theories of my own, but haven't read anyone else's ... so I guess that makes me a hypocrite, LOL.

I totally respect all of you who are not reading the previews - bravo!!!

With Oathbringer, getting a 1000-page head start worked out really well for me, because I took vacation days off work to read it (knew I'd never be able to concentrate until I knew how it ended!). So I was able to get back to work sooner because I'd already read 1/3 of the book beforehand.

For any book I know I want to read, I go into it as blind as possible; same with any video game I know I'm going to play or movie I know I'm going to watch.  It's only when there's some doubt in my mind that I'll look into things a bit more, read the blurb on the back, or watch a trailer.  The level of hype I am capable of generating in myself is almost never capable of being matched by what I'm excited for, so I try to just use the slowly counting down time to drive the anticipation instead of other factors.

Being able to read only one or two chapters, instead of devouring a book at my own pace, is also too limiting for me to consider for books I know I'm going to read.  Even if there were 1/3 of the book available now, I could have that done easily in a Friday or Sunday and then be left annoyed that I can't keep going.  For me, waiting enhances the experience much more than reading some now would.

Edited by kaellok

Guest Somebody from Scadrial
6 hours ago, Eggdogg said:

I'm not reading aything til the book is in my hand...my cold dead hand...wait thats not how it works. 

It works however you want it to work 

23 hours ago, Eggdogg said:

I'm not reading aything til the book is in my hand...my cold dead hand...wait thats not how it works. 

Let's sign a pact - whoever dies first, the other promises to bring back as a Lifeless with the Command, Finish Reading the Cosmere.

OK that's technically a Warbreaker reference, but it would certainly take a load off my mind, being as I'm older than Brandon Sanderson!

3 minutes ago, robardin said:

Let's sign a pact - whoever dies first, the other promises to bring back as a Lifeless with the Command, Finish Reading the Cosmere.

OK that's technically a Warbreaker reference, but it would certainly take a load off my mind, being as I'm older than Brandon Sanderson!

I feel that, in my early 40s. Im hoping i can last til the end. I got my father into stormlight a couple months ago and he is almost done with OB. Very excited to read the new one book club style with him. We are hoping we get to read the 5th together...it would be an ending...not the ending but an ending. 

I'm trying.   Helps that I haven't read AU or Oathbringer in my reread, yet.  I always regretted it when I read prologue in samples before (SLA, WOT, ASOIAF, etc). I always want to read a book cover to cover.  Lessens the impact whe. I've read the first 100 pages, or whatever.  

I'm reading them as they come out. For me, most of the pull of the series is the intrigue, and Sanderson writes very good theory material. Some of the later chapters are definitely... interesting, to say the least. I'm a binge reader, so it's actually very nice for my reading to be rationed out.

• 4 weeks later...

These final few days have been the hardest. On one hand, I feel like I'm off the hook if I read the preview chapters tomorrow before work and during my break. But on the other hand, I've been saving the book for when I have a chance to read the physical copy. Reading the online version - even if it's acceptable - still feels a little like cheating to me. My week is so full though...that may be the only way I get any reading done until Thursday...

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

These final few days have been the hardest. On one hand, I feel like I'm off the hook if I read the preview chapters tomorrow before work and during my break. But on the other hand, I've been saving the book for when I have a chance to read the physical copy. Reading the online version - even if it's acceptable - still feels a little like cheating to me. My week is so full though...that may be the only way I get any reading done until Thursday...

I know the feeling. I really need to hear the pages crackle to really feel it. So far I've avoided all samples too.  I really hate reading books off a screen, though ill read my dawnshard pdf before starting row in earnest.