Greetings

vigeeking

Saying hello, as requested.  In the before time in the long-long ago, I was a devops engineer.  Then came covid, and now I play video games and don't leave my house.  I suppose some other stuff has changed, but I'm not sure what it is.

Anyway, I'm a nerd, I do stuff with computers, play with math even though I'm horrible at it, and overall take the stance that "knowledge cannot be pushed, only pulled" so I encourage questions where I can.

19 hours ago, vigeeking said:

Saying hello, as requested.  In the before time in the long-long ago, I was a devops engineer.  Then came covid, and now I play video games and don't leave my house.  I suppose some other stuff has changed, but I'm not sure what it is.

Anyway, I'm a nerd, I do stuff with computers, play with math even though I'm horrible at it, and overall take the stance that "knowledge cannot be pushed, only pulled" so I encourage questions where I can.

Lol, this is one of the more genuinely entertaining intros I've seen, very well said!

Yes, the time before Covid does seem like an age long-long-ago, and unfortunately (at least for some of the more.... special countries) the time after Covid does seem like it's an age long-long-away *sighs in wanting to leave house without having to make a 300 page disaster preparedness plan every time* Hey as a plus though, playing video games all day doesn't sound too horrible... :P 

And hey, we your got nerds, we got your do stuff with computers people, and we got your math people (and even as an extra class our doing our best even tho it really ain't going to good [yet!!] people), glad you decided to join us! And my what an interesting philosophy! May I ask what specifically led to it?

On 9/6/2020 at 6:51 AM, Honorless said:

Welcome to the Shard! Which Cosmere books have you read so far? 

I've lost track.  I have some neurological issues, and sometimes my brain no think so good.  I originally showed up here because I had reached out to Brandon Sanderson specifically to talk about some of his core work.  But I'm pretty comfortable with his general approach, and actually find a lot of analogies I have used to help me professionally.  I think the thing that impresses me the most is the worldbuilding and flow of everything.  It echoes of a clean mind, and those are very valuable these days.

Oh, whoops.  I sometimes struggle with new concepts, sorry if I have erred socially in any way.

I was trying to reply to the questions in line, but think I borked it all up.  I do that sometimes and the wrong order words come out.

Someone offered to pass on the interrogation, which is amusing because my general strategy to life is that knowledge cannot be pushed, only pulled.  There are exceptions, but those are a bit of a sensitive subject.  So I generally welcome all well meaning questions, and if I miss something, assume it's related to my struggle bus pass.

I used to be a devops engineer, but have always been an avid reader.  Because of covid I lost my job, but that let me get back to my roots and catch up with myself.  Now I'm trying to figure out what the new normal is.  I suspect that has more to do with being online these days.

So I am trying to get more out there, and meet people.  I'm old enough to struggle with some of the cyber grass you young punks keep walking on, but still young enough to be offended at the idea of turning my music down.

Since books have made me who I am, I figured I'd be in good company.  I apologize in advance if my conversational patterns are a bit erratic, I sometimes need my wife to translate things for me.  I've introduced her to Brandon Sanderson and she likes him too, but is incredibly busy these days since she works in public health.

Oh!  I took the test a while back and I was an elsecaller.  That actually made sense to me, I'm sad to see so few of us.  Is there a place where we hang out?  Maybe in the theater department or under the stairs?  I don't think I've seen any at the dojo.

On 9/7/2020 at 2:23 AM, Scout_Fox said:

Lol, this is one of the more genuinely entertaining intros I've seen, very well said!

Yes, the time before Covid does seem like an age long-long-ago, and unfortunately (at least for some of the more.... special countries) the time after Covid does seem like it's an age long-long-away *sighs in wanting to leave house without having to make a 300 page disaster preparedness plan every time* Hey as a plus though, playing video games all day doesn't sound too horrible... :P 

And hey, we your got nerds, we got your do stuff with computers people, and we got your math people (and even as an extra class our doing our best even tho it really ain't going to good [yet!!] people), glad you decided to join us! And my what an interesting philosophy! May I ask what specifically led to it?

I've always been a bit different, and books helped me through some very difficult periods in my life.  I've been divorced twice, and am staring down the barrel of a third failed marriage.  And with everything going on in the world, I know everyone's hurting a bit, as am I.  But one of the things I've learned is that pain is just a sensation.  It is your body telling you that there is friction, but how you choose to address that friction is a choice you have to own. 

It's the same with our emotions, and our lives in general.  We all have to make the best choices we can, own our actions, and continue to decide between love and fear.  You can't love and fear at the same time.  I am oathed to side with love.  So I'm out here trying to make my way in the world, help other old people with a twitch stream I make a lot of mistakes on, and overall just get through each day with a smile.  :D

I've also learned the hard way that I can say what I want, but it's up to others to decide if I provide value or not.  I know my own worth, and will defend it if attacked.  But other than that, I just want to help people in whatever way I can.

Is there anything I can say or do to make your life better today?

• Chaos locked this topic