Burning Temporal metals in the Spiritual Realm

Dancer

Question

6 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Karger said:

How?

Argent

Can somebody travel to the Spiritual Realm, the same as the Cognitive?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it's a very different experience. It is possible… You may have seen people do it...

Argent

As in you're not sure, or you're being obnoxiously vague?

Brandon Sanderson

No...

Questioner #1

As in, you probably have but he's having trouble remembering it.

Brandon Sanderson

No no no... For instance, Elend burning atium and duralumin pulled most of him into the Spiritual Realm.

Argent

Oh, that's what happens there.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. He kind of got yanked into- You also have seen people Ascend with the powers and dip into the Spiritual Realm for a little bit.

Argent

So, Vin?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah. But they could be on both, or either, or both at the same time. But you have seen Vin stick into the Spiritual Realm. And it happened to Sazed/Harmony...

Questioner #2

Oh! So is that where the gods live? Kinda?

Brandon Sanderson

Most of the bulk of the Shard's energy of being is contained in the Spiritual Realm, yes. Except for one notable exception!

Questioner #2

The <mists? mistwraith?>?

Brandon Sanderson

No.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

How?

Questioner

Did humans come to Roshar through Shadesmar?

Brandon Sanderson

It is technology or magic closer to how the Oathgates work. But it was like that. It's not canon but right now that's what I have. It's not canon because there are certain things I have to work out before that can work...

By the way I'll just say to the tape recording that I haven't canonized, like for instance if they traveled to Shadesmar to get to Shinovar from Ashyn. Right now I have that not being via Shadesmar, but the mechanics of that might not work out, and I might have to default to Shadesmar. So there's certain things, you'll see, where I say, "This isn't the canon answer, it's where I have things right now."

Overlord Jebus

So Urithiru might end up being a spaceship after all.

Brandon Sanderson

It's not that. Right now I have them using something closer to Oathgating, but it opens up a huge can of worms, when I'm not requiring direct-- When I'm sending through Spiritual Realm it opens up cans of worms, and I have to just make sure the mechanics on that are tight before I do it.

Emerald City Comic Con 2018 (March 1, 2018)

There is also this.

clyguy

Do shardpools grant, basically, easier access into the Cognitive or Spiritual Realm--

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Although one could argue that Brandon only answered for the CR not the SR.  

Edited by Dancer

5 hours ago, Dancer said:

We know that one can enter the SR physically just as one can enter the CR. What would happen if you were an Allomancer and you burnt Cadmium or Bendalloy in the SR? All time is meant to happen at once in that place.

entering the Spiritual Realm is different than something like enter the Cognitive from the Physical.

when enter the Cognitive Realm physically, your body is turning into investiture and then popping out of Investiture in the Cognitive Realm, or vice versa. 
but the Spiritual Realm isnt a defined place. Its everywhere and every time, happening all at once.

not even the Shards are fully in the Spiritual Realm, just most of them. I think to fully enter the Spiritual realm, would be to get rid of your physical self, which is needed for allomancy

theres very few things that exist only in the spiritual realm

But if entered partway like Elend did, i think it would still just affect the Physical Realm where time has meaning

Edited by Eternal Khol