"I will stand when others fall" Order

StanLemon

I was on the Coppermind today looking at the Immortal Words. There is the one we know of but not its Order for sure "I will stand when others fall"

My guess is that this is that this is an Oath of the Willshapers

My reasoning for this is the Oaths for each order seem to correspond with the Divine Attributes of the essence associated with their Order. For the Willshapers, one of their Attribute is Resolute. "I will stand when others fall" is an perfect example of that in my mind

Edited by StanLemon

It fits, I suppose. Although Wilshapers focus most heavily on freedom. I imagine them away from the front lines, freeing PoWs and liberating those who are taken advantage of during wartime (or anytime). I can see it as "I will stand when others fall" in the fight against oppression, but other then that I think it might fit better in another order. 

Edgedancers, maybe. "I will remember" falls closely with "I will stand when others fall" In my opinion. Both relate to doing what others fail to do. Tied together they might form something like "I will remember those who have fallen and stand for those who fought". 

But mostly I see it fitting with Stonewards. To me, their name implies something immovable, something that will stand guard. Their primary focus is "I will be there when I am needed" and when is someone needed more then when everyone else has fallen? Stonewards are said to put others interests before their own, and are unwilling to bend their oaths for personal gain. On the Orders page Brandon put out it says this about stonewards: 

Though sometimes gregarious, they are never flighty. If a Stoneward is your friend, they will be there for you, and that is a core tenet of their Order—to be there when they are needed. Another key attribute is their ability to take a difficult situation with few resources and make something better of it.

I dunno if you know about this, but it's is a pretty cool resource, for those kinds of theorycrafting.

Now, I've normally gotten a vibe of Stonewarding, from that Oath, personally, but I could totally see it being a Willshaper Oath.

Things that may support this from the Willshaper blurb:

Spoiler

The Willshapers believe strongly that all people should be free to make their own choices. Their oaths are themed toward freedom and letting people be free to express themselves and make their own way in life.

Spoiler

Their powers lend themselves to creation, true, but their oaths are focused on freedom and personal fulfillment. Many among the Willshapers are warriors focused on freeing those who are captive, and others are focused on radical self-expression.

Spoiler

Among the Radiants, they are generally focused on building, training, and making infrastructure. In war, they might be sent to a town to fortify it against an oncoming invasion.

Things that support the Stonewards, from their blurb:

Spoiler

Stoneward oaths focus on team dynamics, on learning to work with others, and on being there for those who need them. They put the interests of others before their own, and will not bend their Ideals for the sake of convenience.

Spoiler

Stonewards are the infantry and ground troops of the Radiants and are renowned as their finest soldiers. (A title that, on occasion, the Windrunners dispute.) They tend to attract those who are most interested in warfare, prowess with weapons, or athletics of any sort. They like a challenge, and in times of peace are seen engaging in (and running) various sporting events of both a military and non-military nature.

Spoiler

They tend to be known for their can-do attitudes and for taking on enormous projects (sometimes more than they can handle). However, most agree that the primary attribute of the Stonewards is their dependability. Though sometimes gregarious, they are never flighty. If a Stoneward is your friend, they will be there for you, and that is a core tenet of their Order—to be there when they are needed. Another key attribute is their ability to take a difficult situation with few resources and make something better of it. Though not known as inventors or creators, they are good at improvising solutions to problems in the moment.

I would for sure say Stonewards, for that quote. My impression of the Stonewards is that they were the reliable, steady infantry of the KR. There's also that quote from the prologue of WoK about how Taln (the Stoneward herald) tended to pick impossible fights and win them, which seems to tie in very heavily with this oath. (I might edit in the actual words later but I don't have my book with me at the moment.) To an extent, all of the Knight Radiants are about being the protectors, champions of humanity, etc., which is why I think that this can be disputed so well. Still, in my mind it's completely Stoneward.

The Divine Attributes for Willshapers are Resolute and Builder, The Stonewards are Dependable and Resourceful. I see Resolute being the one that best goes with that Oath, though I'll admit you could make a case for Dependable. I wouldn't take the name of the Order into too much consideration when it comes to Oaths, after all Windrunner and Edgedancer aren't exactly telling of their Oaths but of their powers. The Willshapers were the order that focused on resisting tyranny and oppression and to keep pressing on. One thing would be the interpretation of the Oath itself. But if it was the Stonewards, I think something along the lines of "I will be there when others fall" would be more apt. We'll probably find out with Rhythms of War though as it will focus on Venli who is a Willshaper.

Edited by StanLemon