Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Koloss17

Defending elysium reactions

3 posts in this topic

I just wanted to make this because there doesn’t seem to be enough defending elysium content in here, an I think it gives cool insights on the main series.

when I read it, I thought it was really cool. It was a lot like era 2 mistborn, in a way. I also liked the whole mindblade things. I can’t wait for spensa to use it (if she is able to)! I also pieced together that the darkness was just the nowhere but without the eyes because the delvers weren’t there yet. There’s also an interesting evolution in cytonics from defending elysium to skyward.

I was a bit confused. And very intruiged,

I liked the mindblades, AKA stabby-stabbers.

Mind swapping would be useful.

I think it was a strong story, and my favorite non-cosmere short story that Brandon's written. It's touches on a lot of different science fiction ideas without diving too much into any of them, which makes the world feel expansive even without having read Skyward (and I read it before Skyward so I can confirm). The downside being none of the ideas are dived into very deeply. I love the revelation at the end about the nature of the aliens' society at the end, and although I'm not a well-read scifi reader, it seems original to me. Also, Jason is great, and the moral conflict he goes though is very interesting. The main critique I have is that I'm not a huge fan of how his blindness is treated. And I keep writing out why I feel that way, but I don't I think I'm doing a good job of conveying why. So maybe I'll come back later and edit this post once I clear it all out in my head.