Wax's Pathian earring grants gold Feurchemy

Elsecaller_17.5

There has long been speculation that his earring, formed from an old Inquisitor spike, granted him some sort of power. The most common theory I've seen, and the one I believed up until a few moments ago, is that it is a basic pewter spike which grants physical strength. 

For evidence I turn to his duel with Miles Hunderdlives. Particularly the bit when Miles freea himself by blowing up nets he was trapped it along with Wax. The wounds were deadly. Here's a synopsis. 

"He came to, bloodied, dazed, rolling to a stop. His head swam. He was unable to move or even think."

"He rolled over numb, that wasn't a good sign."

Miles rants for a bit. 

"Waxillium just coughed"

Wax flees with a steelpush and comes to some boxes.

"Coughing bleeding, he crawled behind them. Then he collapsed."

There's  a scene break and other signs of his injuries include not being able to cock a "tiny pistol" and he is too scared to check how wounded he his. 

He then converses with Harmony (who at this point I propose fuels his gold Feurchemy), and thinks this.

"He felt better in the mists. The wounds didn't seem so bad. The pain didn't seem so sharp"

He then proceeds to lay put a royal butt whupping. 

Wax is at this point completely back to his normal self with little mention of his wounds. He even notes himself how shockingly well he feels. He continues to fight even pulling weight shenanigans like crushing doors with no mention of the fatal wounds.

Then he gets it a RUSTING FIST FIGHT with Miles and does just fine (or rather as well as one can do against a gold compunder in a fist fight). After the fist fight he takes a brutal beating. At this point Wax should be dead. No questions asked. He does not injuries in the epilogue but all of those can be attributed to Miles final beating.

Now that I've made my case that he had to receive Gold healing I have a few last points to add in.

First, every Inquisitor had a Gold spike increasing the likelihood Wax would end up with one (though likelihood is a minor point with Harmony pulling strings).

Second, the main argument I anticipate is that Harmony could have just healed him without a Gold spike. I believe this incorrect. There is never mention of a Scadrian shard spontaneously granting allomancy or feurchemy. There are though numerous accounts of them fueling allomancy and we have WoB that they can do the same with feurchemy. He would need the spike. 

Interesting idea. I think it's allomantic pewter - he could burn unconsciously bits that entered his body similar to how Vin got to use her allomancy at first. You have good arguments, though. Technically, we did see a shard granting allomancy - Spook becoming a mistborn. I guess you meant a scadrians shard could not grant abilities like that temporally only to fuel them for the moment, and we know wax didn't gain gold feruchemy afterwards. 

3 hours ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Second, the main argument I anticipate is that Harmony could have just healed him without a Gold spike. I believe this incorrect. There is never mention of a Scadrian shard spontaneously granting allomancy or feurchemy.

Maybe I am dense, but isn't that the whole point of the mists during the Catacendre? Or are you saying that once they have made you allomantic that is permanent?

And Harmony can heal people. He did exactly that to the bodies of Vin and Elend, who was not spiked. He just could not resurrect them after their spirits have gone to the Beyond.

4 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Maybe I am dense, but isn't that the whole point of the mists during the Catacendre? Or are you saying that once they have made you allomantic that is permanent?

And Harmony can heal people. He did exactly that to the bodies of Vin and Elend, who was not spiked. He just could not resurrect them after their spirits have gone to the Beyond.

So the mists were actually just snapping people, they were already atium misting to start off. It just turned out 16 percent of skaa were seers. That is why nobility and Terrismen weren’t effected.

8 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Interesting idea. I think it's allomantic pewter - he could burn unconsciously bits that entered his body similar to how Vin got to use her allomancy at first. You have good arguments, though. Technically, we did see a shard granting allomancy - Spook becoming a mistborn. I guess you meant a scadrians shard could not grant abilities like that temporally only to fuel them for the moment, and we know wax didn't gain gold feruchemy afterwards. 

6 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Dang your right. I need to reread era 1.

4 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

So the mists were actually just snapping people, they were already atium misting to start off. It just turned out 16 percent of skaa were seers. That is why nobility and Terrismen weren’t effected.

No, this won't  do. In that case the number could not have been 16% of every group. For this to be possible a far higher number of Skaa would have needed to be allomancers.

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

No, this won't  do. In that case the number could not have been 16% of every group. For this to be possible a far higher number of Skaa would have needed to be allomancers.

True. The probability is too weird. So I guess the mists gave allomancy, heightening the connection to preservation, but specifically atium. It was probably 16 because that’s the world’s number and fuzz decided that it should be that instead of more, cuz he’s crazy.

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

47 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

True. The probability is too weird. So I guess the mists gave allomancy, heightening the connection to preservation, but specifically atium. It was probably 16 because that’s the world’s number and fuzz decided that it should be that instead of more, cuz he’s crazy.

The nobility where already snapped, and so they felt no effect.

20 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

It wasn't sixteen percent of the population that were seers, it was sixteen percent of the allomancers that were seers.