Njvodin

5th Stormlight Archive Book name

19 posts in this topic

So we know the names of the books are most probably going to end up as a palindrome. What I mean by this is: WoK WoR O RoW and what can be assumed is KoW, since Roshar is known for is palindromic names. Does anyone have a theory on what it could stand for, given the knowledge that the names of the books are books in the actual world of Roshar?

We have the Way of Kings, which is written by Nohadon, Words of Radiance, which discusses the Knights Radiant, Oathbringer, written by Dalinar, and Rhythm of War, which is most probably a text written by or on the Parshendi. Have we any other thoughts on what the KoW stands for?

I've had some ideas that could be "Knights of Windrunners" or "Knights of War" but we've already got a book with the word "War", so it's improbable.

Sorry for this wall of text but it's something that's really intrigued me.

@Njvodin you posted this topic four times, if you would mind hiding, or deleting three of those that would be great. Also this probably belongs in the Stormlight archive section, as this isn't very relevant to the greater Cosmere.

So I combed through the dictionary for relevant Ks and Ws and here's what I found. I got bored half way through the Ws so there are definitely more possibilities. Match them together with an 'of' or an 'of the' at your pleasure.

Okay some Ks: Keep, Knight, Keeper, Killer, Key, Kindest, Kin, Kingdom, Kiss, Knave, Knife, Knowledge, Knighthood, Kraken, Kaladin

Some Ws: Wind, Windrunners, Wisdom, Wakefulness, Wonder, Wanderers, Warmth, Wands, Warlocks, Warlords, Wardens, Warning, Warriors, Water, Watchers, Watch, Witches, Weak, Weakness, Women, Waves, Weapons, Wealth, Weary, Weariness, Weariless, Weddings, Webs, Weavers, Weather, weeds, Weeping, Weepers, 

Edited by Azarias

I believe book five is going to be about the shin. So it will probably have something to do with that.

11 hours ago, I Used To Be A Fish said:

@Njvodin you posted this topic four times, if you would mind hiding, or deleting three of those that would be great. Also this probably belongs in the Stormlight archive section, as this isn't very relevant to the greater Cosmere.

yup my internet messed up im figuring out how to delete them

Probably something involving Warden or Weapon. Keeper of Weapons, maybe, or Knowledge of Wardens. The Shin keep the Honorblades and train people on them (Szeth got trained on all of them, he mentions at one point), before he (likely) started bonding his spren for the first time and getting exiled after being put in a lose-lose for Oath breakings and being exiled. He plans to return and cleanse the country, but here's the thing. Stone Shamanism has something to do with that, since they were involved in the whole "give this crazy man an Honorblade" and the word Shaman is (per the definition a person who acts as intermediary between the natural and supernatural worlds, using magic to cure illness, foretell the future, control spiritual forces, etc. The bolded is the most relevant. 

When Szeth goes back to purge the corrupt higher Shamans (the ones who directly Keep the Weapons), he'll come across the Knowledge of the Wardens that will help them in the long run. Thus, it's Szeth's flashback book and the title will be made sense of.

Or maybe Killer of Wardens, but that might just be what Szeth is doing.

Edited by Invocation

11 hours ago, Azarias said:

So I combed through the dictionary for relevant Ks and Ws and here's what I found. I got bored half way through the Ws so there are definitely more possibilities. Match them together with an 'of' or an 'of the' at your pleasure.

Okay some Ks: Keep, Knight, Keeper, Killer, Key, Kindest, Kin, Kingdom, Kiss, Knave, Knife, Knowledge, Knighthood, Kraken, Kaladin

Some Ws: Wind, Windrunners, Wisdom, Wakefulness, Wonder, Wanderers, Warmth, Wands, Warlocks, Warlords, Wardens, Warning, Warriors, Water, Watchers, Watch, Witches, Weak, Weakness, Women, Waves, Weapons, Wealth, Weary, Weariness, Weariless, Weddings, Webs, Weavers, Weather, weeds, Weeping, Weepers, 

I like the sound of "Keepers of Wisdom". It might sound like a relevant text in the world. Made me also think of Worldsingers, which then made me think of the Keepers of Terris, or the Worldbringers. Thanks :D

Anybody else miss the former name for book 5, Stones Unhallowed? I’m a bit disappointed it won’t be the title, because of how distinctive and dark it sounded. Plus, I’m not the biggest fan of creating a palindrome out of the titles’ abbreviations. It’s a fun concept, but I feel like it will be too restrictive. IMO, Brandon should just use the coolest titles he can think of.

1 hour ago, ILuvHats said:

Anybody else miss the former name for book 5, Stones Unhallowed? I’m a bit disappointed it won’t be the title, because of how distinctive and dark it sounded. Plus, I’m not the biggest fan of creating a palindrome out of the titles’ abbreviations. It’s a fun concept, but I feel like it will be too restrictive. IMO, Brandon should just use the coolest titles he can think of.

I think his goal is to make a palindrome, because it ties in nicely with the theme of Roshar, being into palindromes and stuff, but of course I could be wildly wrong. It just seems like a coincidence, and it's also only theorisation. Nothing concrete. Also, it sounds like Brandon to do something like that, I feel. 

1 hour ago, ILuvHats said:

I miss it. Stones Unhallowed was a cool title.

14 hours ago, Njvodin said:

I like the sound of "Keepers of Wisdom". It might sound like a relevant text in the world. Made me also think of Worldsingers, which then made me think of the Keepers of Terris, or the Worldbringers. Thanks :D

Hey, that was mine!:D

1 hour ago, Njvodin said:

I think his goal is to make a palindrome, because it ties in nicely with the theme of Roshar, being into palindromes and stuff, but of course I could be wildly wrong. It just seems like a coincidence, and it's also only theorisation. Nothing concrete. Also, it sounds like Brandon to do something like that, I feel. 

We have a WoB confirming it’s what he intends to do.

Questioner

So far, the Stormlight Archive's book titles have the abbreviations: WoK, WoR, O, and RoW. Will Book Five's abbreviation be KoW, making the complete ketek?

Brandon Sanderson

Great question. Way back when I started working on the Stormlight Archive, I wanted to do this. And then I just didn't think it would work out, for various reasons, and I backed away from it, coming up with my kind of working titles that were not a ketek. After I changed Book Two to Words of Radiance, I realized I might have a chance to do this, and it started to kind of get in my head, that maybe I do it, maybe I wouldn't. I waited to see if Book Three would work as a single-word title, which it did. And so I am intending to do this.

The question we have internally is where we put the "T." Because Way of Kings actually has a "the" in it, where Words of Radiance and Oathbringer do not, and neither does Rhythm of War. So, is it going to have a T at the end, or not? That is subject to debate, even internally, right now.

YouTube Livestream 5 (March 16, 2020)

It could also be a C, as those sound the same and I believe they are one letter/glyph on Roshar.

Caverns of Woe? Crags of Winds? Caves of War?

King of the World.

All hail Taravangian.

20 minutes ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

It could also be a C, as those sound the same and I believe they are one letter/glyph on Roshar.

Caverns of Woe? Crags of Winds? Caves of War?

ooh that means that you can use the letter H because thats like a wild card

Kingdom of Wayward Travelers, since Shinovar is where humans first arrived.

It is THE Way of Kings after all

Edited by Hilfandor

There's already a bunch of similar topics on this subject: