Is the Sibling of Roshar?

Ptolema

Question

7 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, ftl said:

They certainly could be from Ashyn or something, that wouldn't be too far-fetched. I don't think we've had any evidence that's true so we tend to presume they're from Roshar.

Yeah, that's basically what I've been wondering, if there's anything that says they have to be of Roshar or if it would be fine to theorize otherwise.

I don't think there is anything specific per se that the Sibling if of Roshar.  That being said, I think logically it would be hard to explain if they were not.  Given that the other two godspren are of Roshar (Stormfather stated that he is, Cultivation and Honor arrived together, and Nightwatcher is of Cultivation), it would be highly unlikely given what we know that the Sibling would be from a different world.  We also have seen no spren from another world as yet.  Brandon is usually very good about seeding hints, and we have seen no such hints.  There is a small chance that the Sibling is of a different Shard, based on this WoB:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/395/#e13031

yfriedd (paraphrased)

Given the Sibling, and the Death Rattle about how "Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns", was there a third Shard on Roshar with Honor and Cultivation prior to Odium's arrival?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

RAFO.

Good question.

ICon 2019 (Oct. 16, 2019)

33 minutes ago, Hilfandor said:

We currently know the location of 10/16 shards. We know there a "survival" shard and a shard not on a planet. We don't know for sure Trell is or isn't a shard.  It is possible, of the unidentified shards, an additional one is on Roshar. Maybe that explains the purelake.

Trell is an avatar of a shard we know(besides ambition)

On 9/9/2020 at 0:56 PM, Hilfandor said:

We currently know the location of 10/16 shards. We know there a "survival" shard and a shard not on a planet. We don't know for sure Trell is or isn't a shard.  It is possible, of the unidentified shards, an additional one is on Roshar. Maybe that explains the purelake.

Obligatory reminder that 'Survival' is only tangentially related to that mystery Shard's intent. Also, we have multiple occasions where Brandon has said that there are only three Shards on Roshar and we know all of them.

Chaos (paraphrased)

How many Shards have existed on Roshar?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Three.

Ancient 17S Q&A (May 1, 2010)

Questioner

The line about "three of sixteen [ruled] and now the Broken One reigns" - did Odium follow three other Shards to Roshar or is he the third Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

Odium is the third Shard on Roshar.

Footnote: The questioner is referring to the epigraph of Chapter 11 of The Way of Kings: "Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns."
Words of Radiance Washington, DC signing (March 20, 2014)

Zas

So the number of Shards that have been on Roshar is three, correct?

Brandon Sanderson

Correct.

Zas

People have been thrown by you saying that Odium is not native to Roshar.

Brandon Sanderson

Odium is not native... see that's the thing. Are any of them native? So if you dig the deeper question, are any of them native, ehhh, none of them are native to the planets that you've seen so far. What I probably should've said to be more precise is that Honor and Cultivation were there long before Odium showed up.

Orem signing (Sept. 22, 2012)

There's one newer WoB where Brandon RAFO'd an identical question about the 'three of sixteen' death rattle but given how he answered these older ones on multiple occasions my guess is that he forgot he'd already clarified the point and gave out a 'Just to keep you all talking' RAFO.

On 9/2/2020 at 11:41 PM, ftl said:

They certainly could be from Ashyn or something, that wouldn't be too far-fetched. I don't think we've had any evidence that's true so we tend to presume they're from Roshar.

While I don't believe Brandon has said so directly, it can be assumed that the reason why Roshar has spren and other worlds do not (though they have other kinds of Splinters that might be similar but less numerous) is how massively Invested the planet is. There's a huge Investiture-bearing storm that saturates the world every few days and the barriers between the realms seem a bit thinner than normal, probably as a result of this, similar to but not as intense as the way Perpendicularities pierce all three realms due to a concentration of Investiture. We know you could bond Splinters on other worlds but they wouldn't give the kind of power that one from a major shardworld would; Brandon even called out Bondsmith powers specifically as something you wouldn't get from that kind of bond.

I still consider one of the major dividing lines between "major" and "minor" Shardworlds (other than Shard residence) to be in strength of access to the magic, and control over it. I intend the minor Shardworlds to involve interactions with the magic as setting--coming back to spren, you could have a minor Shardworld with people who use, befriend, even bond spren. (Or the local equivalent--Seon, Aviar, etc.) But you'd never see power on the level of the city of Elantris, the actions of a Bondsmith, or even the broad power suite of a Mistborn.

General Reddit 2018 (March 18, 2018)

Since Ashyn is a minor shardworld it's not likely to have had a spren/other Splinter capable of forming a Bondsmith-level bond. We know there was something really powerful on Ashyn since the Dawnshards are linked to the disaster that forced most of the population to flee to Roshar, but the descriptions we've gotten of them in myths/poetry suggest they're things that can be held, rather than entities that can be bonded. So... probably unrelated to the Sibling.

Edited by Weltall