Siren's Call: an RP

Negative_Null

Just now, Random Bystander said:

"Uh... Okay. I'll just grab my bag." She didn't bother using the front door, but climbed up to the window, and slid in. A moment later, she had safely landed on the ground with her stuff.

"Okay. Let's go." Janice started walking towards their apartment, hands in her pockets; head hung.

Tears silently worked their way down Janice's face. She grabbed her cloak--she'd gotten a new one during their shopping trip--and flung the hood over her face; but the once-familiar served only as a reminder of her pain, and a time when nobody had ever loved her.

How could she have thrown away something so valuable as her best friend? What had led her to do something so rash and wrong? She pulled her hood down lower, shoved her hands deep into her pocket, and kept her head down. Hiding her pain was something she'd grown weak at doing during these last few weeks, but her old instincts came to her aid steadily. Don't cry. Keep your head low. Don't think about it.

Don't think about it.

"She's not my friend," Janice whispered, trying to convince herself, but the words only hurt more. Why couldn't she push the pain away? Why couldn't she push any of her pain away? "I ha--" she swallowed. "I hate--"

But she didn't.

"I want you back..." her voice cracked. "Come back, Cadenza... I'm sorry..."

2 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Tears silently worked their way down Janice's face. She grabbed her cloak--she'd gotten a new one during their shopping trip--and flung the hood over her face; but the once-familiar served only as a reminder of her pain, and a time when nobody had ever loved her.

How could she have thrown away something so valuable as her best friend? What had led her to do something so rash and wrong? She pulled her hood down lower, shoved her hands deep into her pocket, and kept her head down. Hiding her pain was something she'd grown weak at doing during these last few weeks, but her old instincts came to her aid steadily. Don't cry. Keep your head low. Don't think about it.

Don't think about it.

"She's not my friend," Janice whispered, trying to convince herself, but the words only hurt more. Why couldn't she push the pain away? Why couldn't she push any of her pain away? "I ha--" she swallowed. "I hate--"

But she didn't.

"I want you back..." her voice cracked. "Come back, Cadenza... I'm sorry..."

Shade's heart broke when she saw Janice's pain. "You know, I was once in a similar situation. That specific situation, which I'm not going to talk about in detail, is what led me to become a bounty hunter. I was young too. I think I was... What? 12? Yeah. I think I was 12 when I turned in my first bounty. I felt like I had to push everyone I cared about away. I told them things that weren't actually true. I told them that I didn't care about them. At night, I'd hide under my covers and sob uncontrollably for hours and hours on end. I can empathize with you. If you need, you can talk to me."

1 minute ago, Random Bystander said:

Shade's heart broke when she saw Janice's pain. "You know, I was once in a similar situation. That specific situation, which I'm not going to talk about in detail, is what led me to become a bounty hunter. I was young too. I think I was... What? 12? Yeah. I think I was 12 when I turned in my first bounty. I felt like I had to push everyone I cared about away. I told them things that weren't actually true. I told them that I didn't care about them. At night, I'd hide under my covers and sob uncontrollably for hours and hours on end. I can empathize with you. If you need, you can talk to me."

"You... understand this pain, then?"

Just now, Channelknight Fadran said:

"You... understand this pain, then?"

"Where you want to be able to get close to people, but as soon as you do, you end up hurting them. Either physically or mentally. So you decide it's best to push them away. To hide your pain. To hide your emotions. To become bitter with the world. When the emotions finally come out, they make you hurt others. They make you want to hurt others. At least then you won't have to think about your pain." She said it miserably.

1 minute ago, Random Bystander said:

"Where you want to be able to get close to people, but as soon as you do, you end up hurting them. Either physically or mentally. So you decide it's best to push them away. To hide your pain. To hide your emotions. To become bitter with the world. When the emotions finally come out, they make you hurt others. They make you want to hurt others. At least then you won't have to think about your pain." She said it miserably.

"The reason she says that," Trace said quietly, "is because of her Aspect."

Just now, Random Bystander said:

"What's her aspect?" She said softly. 

"Well, ahh..." Trace shot a look over at Janice.

"Go ahead." Janice replied quietly.

Trace looked back at Shade. "Well... it draws off pain... and creates almost entirely uncontrollable bursts of force."

Janice pulled her hood lower. "T's how my mom and dad died."

"Well, ahh..." Trace shot a look over at Janice.

"Go ahead." Janice replied quietly.

Trace looked back at Shade. "Well... it draws off pain... and creates almost entirely uncontrollable bursts of force."

Janice pulled her hood lower. "T's how my mom and dad died."

She grimaced. "Ah. So we're more alike then I thought." She whispered. She shook her head. "My actions killed my parents. If it wasn't for me, they'd be alive." She looked at Janice. "You aren't alone." She then grinned. " My offer from earlier still stands." She turned to Trace. "And I'm extending it to you, too."

3 hours ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

The woman blinked, raising her eyebrows.  "Dear, the Siren is the only teacher currently at this school.  We have a general or two willing to come out of retirement to teach strategy, but it is considered... well... an opportunity to learn under him.  He is, after all, someone of great talent and skill."  She had a dreamy look in her eyes.  "If I were twenty years younger..."  

More like, if she were at least forty years younger.  And if she was, maybe her eyesight would be improved enough to see just how disfigured Vespyr's face was.

"Are there assigned seats?"

10 hours ago, Random Bystander said:

She grimaced. "Ah. So we're more alike then I thought." She whispered. She shook her head. "My actions killed my parents. If it wasn't for me, they'd be alive." She looked at Janice. "You aren't alone." She then grinned. " My offer from earlier still stands." She turned to Trace. "And I'm extending it to you, too."

"Love ta, pal, but I'm gonna need to get my body back first." Trace held up her incorporeal arm. "Thanks anyways."

"I'm sorry that you had to go through something like that," Janice said, turning a corner and entering their hotel building.

"Love ta, pal, but I'm gonna need to get my body back first." Trace held up her incorporeal arm. "Thanks anyways."

"I'm sorry that you had to go through something like that," Janice said, turning a corner and entering their hotel building.

She shrugged. "It happened about 8 years ago. I've gotten to the point where I can live with myself. We've got to get you to the point where you don't feel overwhelming guilt. Accidents happen." She snorted. "And, if I'm being honest with you, sometimes they aren't accidents. But you have to get over it eventually. If you don't, the guilt will rip you apart."

3 minutes ago, Random Bystander said:

She shrugged. "It happened about 8 years ago. I've gotten to the point where I can live with myself. We've got to get you to the point where you don't feel overwhelming guilt. Accidents happen." She snorted. "And, if I'm being honest with you, sometimes they aren't accidents. But you have to get over it eventually. If you don't, the guilt will rip you apart."

"I don't remember my parents. Or... at least, I don't well enough to be sad about it. I remember being terrified on the day I killed them, but... I only remember that. I don't feel that. Not anymore." She looked down at her hands: they were shaking. "I just... want... a new family."

"I don't remember my parents. Or... at least, I don't well enough to be sad about it. I remember being terrified on the day I killed them, but... I only remember that. I don't feel that. Not anymore." She looked down at her hands: they were shaking. "I just... want... a new family."

"I understand." she said with a wince. And it shouldn't be me. I don't want to ruin your life the way I ruined May's.

Janice pushed open the door to their room, hands shoved even deeper into her pockets. She collapsed on a couch, falling into a dead silence. Her hands were still shaking, though it would take a keen eye to spot them doing so in her pockets.

"Wow. This is way nicer than my hotel room." She grimmaced. "Not that it's a high bar."

54 minutes ago, Condensation said:

"All right, then. I guess if it's the only option."

Cadenza found herself ushered into a great open auditorium, much like the ancient coliseum, albeit on a smaller scale.  There were about ten matches currently going on, with young and old facing off.  Strangely, the wind was different here... as if... there was a ring of wind around every fighting pair, dancing around them.  Vespyr wasn't immediately able to be spotted, but Cadenza saw him eventually, at the head of the 'classroom,' seeming distracted as he spoke animatedly with a few higher up city officials.

Things weren't settled here, not at all.  People were disturbed at the conquering of a city in the matter of an hour, and the other nations and cities felt threatened, the fools.  Some were threatening military action, but they had no grounds to stand on, as trade was continuing as normal.  The actual nation that Serena was a part of had threatened military action to retake the city at first, but after the show of force where the building dissolved into the dirt, they were much more willing to begrudgingly allow the change in power, so long as Vespyr wasn't actively hurting people. 

That was the undercurrent message, though, that their indignant and outraged messengers shrouded with the outraged demands and explanations that what Vespyr had done was a vicious, vile, destructive declaration of war.  Would they actually attack?  No.  They were too afraid.  Vespyr, in a few short days, was already more well-liked than the former corrupt officials, the people themselves weren't terrified, and even those who had initially fled were returning to their homes.

Sometimes, you just had to be a benevolent tyrant.

48 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Cadenza found herself ushered into a great open auditorium, much like the ancient coliseum, albeit on a smaller scale.  There were about ten matches currently going on, with young and old facing off.  Strangely, the wind was different here... as if... there was a ring of wind around every fighting pair, dancing around them.  Vespyr wasn't immediately able to be spotted, but Cadenza saw him eventually, at the head of the 'classroom,' seeming distracted as he spoke animatedly with a few higher up city officials.

Cadenza put her hair down so she wouldn't be so recognisable and walked over to one of the matches to watch. 

Edited by Condensation